Projects that fizzled out that you really wish hadn't.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Do fanfics count? There were a good ones that just stopped updating... not sure I can remember then all though.

*a Digimon cyberpunk story with some interesting ideas but then the author left the internet and removed all traces of the story... methinks the author was kind of a dick.
*a retelling of Chrono Trigger with My Little Pony characters.. which is better than it sounds, I swear.
*a Disney story where a young Walt Disney falls into a world (filled with characters from his company's future works) where the villains rule... sadly the story disappeared without a trace, just when it was getting good...

...this should give you an idea of what I'm into...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Recusant said:
but aside from Aken Bosch, I dare you to name one.
Mina Hartwood/Hargrove?

Alpha 1/Leader (shadup, it counts!)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
On a personal note, I once had an idea for an AMV tribute to Goku from DBZ. Sadly I kept putting it off and now I don't care about Dragon Ball anymore so I can definitely say for certain that it will never be finished.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Alright, I'll say it...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

There, now I'm sad again...
Sure, Metro scratched that Eastern European post-apocalyptic FPS for a bit... But it's linear, I want me some open worlds!

Are there other games I wish weren't cancelled?
Sure.
Can I remember them now?
Nope.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GW has had a lot of these.

Firstly, one one that really bugged me at the time, was the way they did their worldwide campaigns. I might have gotten the order wrong, but from what I remember:

The first was the Armageddon one. Well, ok, they ran the Istvaan one early one, but Armageddon was the first big deal, worldwide campaign, your battles matter one. The results came in, the campaigning season was over, watch this space, things will keep happening. And...yeah, no. A battle report in WD between Necrons and DA that could have been set anywhere was set there, we were told there were big plans for the place, a couple of novels and so on, but it quietly faded away until Shadow War Armageddon.

Next, the Albion campaign. The bad guy from Mordheim...actually, Mordheim itself was supposed to be a big deal, stuff was going to happen there, but nothing did. A mention or two in some other books later on was about it. Having said that, the game itself went on to have lots of supplement, Empire in Flames, Khemri, Lustria, lots of new models (sadly no longer available), so it had a good run. Anyway, Albion was going to be A Big Deal. Loads of lead up to it in WHM and elsewhere, some good stuff, new models and scenarios, big worldwide campaign, Gav Thorpe accused of rigging it, WD mentions the results and things to come, and then that's it. Got overshadowed by the next WHFB one, after:

Black Crusade. And now this is getting annoying. Either Cadia falls and Abaddon moves towards Terra, or massive Imperial victory, they talk about putting the chapters back into legions etc. Lots of lead up again, and again nothing happens, forget the whole thing.

Then Storm of Chaos. Again, loads of lead up, again nothing happens. In this case everyone goes to Middenheim and then sods off back home for no reason before anything happening.

Now, I'm not saying GW should have had Cadia fall, or the Warhammer World be destroyed (though, kudos for actually doing that many years later), but there could have been some payoff. Or at least, some recognition that these things happened. Some Empire general in Albion doing something, anything would have meant that the whole campaign wasn't pointless.

Also, WHM (Warhammer Monthly), the magazine of 3-5 comic and issue that GW did, that got killed off abruptly. As in, they'd just started part 1 of a four part series (Kal Jerico becomes a Sump pirate), next month, nope, there isn't one. The mag could be hit or miss, though.

Also, I mentioned Shadow War Armageddon, the Necromunda-like game that's been discontinued in favour of rebooted Necromunda, and that Gangs of Commoragh (another Necromunda-like game)was discontinued in favour of. Looks like they'll keep Newcromunda for a bit, though, rather than chucking it out there and then forgetting about it.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
not_you said:
Alright, I'll say it...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

There, now I'm sad again...
Sure, Metro scratched that Eastern European post-apocalyptic FPS for a bit... But it's linear, I want me some open worlds!

Are there other games I wish weren't cancelled?
Sure.
Can I remember them now?
Nope.
SECONDED. I was trying to think of one from recent times- I mean, I was disappointed in SPORE, but it did happen.

But this, this is the one for me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also...Monster High: Adventures of the Ghoul Squad. Seems to have finished, sigh. I'm stuck watching Ever After High, which just isn't as good.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Not quite the intention of the topic, but I'm putting forth Metal Gear Solid V. I don't think there's any way in hell it was originally intended for the second part of the game to just be rehashed versions of the first part's missions, plus that cut "Lord of the Flies" section that was released would have been a great third chapter. It got pushed out to retail before it was really completed.

Kyrian007 said:
And Star Wars 1313. That sounded like something I really wanted. Down and dirty rebellion with none of that hokey religion lazersword nonsense. Murdered because there wasn't any multiplayer planned... How did the multiplayer-focused Battlefront 2 do btw? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH(the pwn laugh could go on for daaaaayyyys)
So much this! Especially if they kept with what that original demo showed. I heard that it was going to be changed into a Boba Fett game and cringed. Then it was cancelled completely and didn't know whether to be sad or happy.

stroopwafel said:
The Legacy of Kain game 'Dark Sun' or whatever it was called. Loved the franchise back in the day and a real bummer the last game never saw the light of day before they cancelled the franchise altogether.
I never heard about this one! I loved the LoK series and was excited about Nosgoth until I heard it was just a multiplayer game, which was ultimately cancelled.

njrk97

May 30, 2011

While there are many cartoons that people know were canned, Symbonic Titan,Young Justice and so on. This was one that i knew more, as indicated by my avatar being the Duke of Detroit from said show,mainly because i was their for its release, I was excited to see how it would progress, new characters, new stories, a metric ton more laser. Then just like that the first Season ended, i waited, and waited, and nothing, show was cancelled, bad ratings. Yet it neglects to mention that it seems like the show never got a chance, a airing at a bad time,no big marketing push, no merchandise, offloaded onto Disney XD and shuffled around so many times that anyone watching it could hardly keep track of it. Its a show about crazy as hell cars with a decent story attached to it, you can not tell me that this shit wouldn't just sell if people knew it existed.

Here is hoping it gets revived, but i doubt it,it seems like it is going to fall into the same realm that Megas XLR did.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Epic Games' original version of "Gears of War 4". While I am happy with what The Coalition eventually put out, I can't help but feel like it was more a nostalgia trip celebrating the series that had came before rather than an actual beginning to a new trilogy. Epic Games had gotten as far as to come up with the idea of The Swarm and there's a few elements that likely came from their original vision for the game. Plus it would've been nice to see how Epic got themselves out of the corner they had written themselves into after Gears 3.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Kendritch said:
Spider-Man 4. As bad as SM3 was, that was Sony's fault, not Raimi's. Raimi had some very interesting plans for SM4 and the Vulture, and I would've loved to see his take on the winged menace. He also wanted to cast the spotlight on the Black Cat and Peter's strained marriage (Peter cheats on her with the Cat). We could've seen an adult Peter struggling with marriage issues for the first time, but it was not to be. Sigh.
TBH, I don't think SM3 needed a sequel. It was flawed, but it closed out all its plot points.

Next, Neill Blomkamp's Alien. Let's face it, a large number of us would like to see his variation of the Alien universe. He impressed me a lot with the gritty District 9, and with how corny certain Alien movies ended up (greedy corporate empire trying to use science for... EVIL!), it would've been nice to see what Blomkamp does with the franchise, not to mention the kind of Xenomorph design he could bring. Never cared much for Scott's Prometheus movies that will replace Blomkamp's projects, and I probably never will.
Again, being honest, Blomkamp's Alien fanfiction (that's what I've always called it) is something I'm glad never saw the light of day.

Thaluikhain said:
Now, I'm not saying GW should have had Cadia fall, or the Warhammer World be destroyed (though, kudos for actually doing that many years later),
Kudos?

KUDOS?!

Sorry, still not over that. Not only did they retcon Storm of Chaos to do it, but I have to ask, why? If they wanted to quit Warhammer Fantasy, fine, but why end the setting? They could have just created Age of Sigmar and leave the Fantasy world as is.

Evonisia said:
Epic Games' original version of "Gears of War 4". While I am happy with what The Coalition eventually put out, I can't help but feel like it was more a nostalgia trip celebrating the series that had came before rather than an actual beginning to a new trilogy. Epic Games had gotten as far as to come up with the idea of The Swarm and there's a few elements that likely came from their original vision for the game. Plus it would've been nice to see how Epic got themselves out of the corner they had written themselves into after Gears 3.
I have to contest the notion of Gears 3 having "written themselves into a corner." Gears 3 ended the series definitively. Its story didn't need continuation - writing oneself into a corner is where someone has written a story that demands continuation, but can't get out of a rut they've created. Now, I did actually like Gears 4 in both gameplay and story, but it is an unnecessary addition storywise, though thankfully, unlike some unneeded story continuations, doesn't undermine what came before. I'd say Gears exchanged developers much better than, say, Halo.

Foxcubwendigo

Apr 5, 2018
Silent Hills, Gotham by Gaslight, D4, Scalebound, Nekro, Dragon Age: Exalted March... Pretty much the usual stuff.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fortress by Grin Studios that was gonna be in the world of Final Fantasy 12's Ivalice:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fortress

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hawki said:
Kudos?

KUDOS?!

Sorry, still not over that. Not only did they retcon Storm of Chaos to do it, but I have to ask, why? If they wanted to quit Warhammer Fantasy, fine, but why end the setting? They could have just created Age of Sigmar and leave the Fantasy world as is.
Ok, yeah, WHFB just had a better setting than AoS, but it wasn't selling. They needed to do something, so they decided to actually make a big change to the fluff like they'd been promising.

Admittedly, they got it wrong by making it rubbish, but I get the impression they made an honest attempt for once.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The freeware title "A Blurred Line" had a story that actually got me hooked, and I was curious where it was going, and what happened that made the protagonist end up in the position I saw in the prologue. While it is technically possible it will be concluded someday I have just decided to treat it as dead, since that's what it is most likely to remain as.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Thaluikhain said:
Hawki said:
Kudos?

KUDOS?!

Ok, yeah, WHFB just had a better setting than AoS, but it wasn't selling. They needed to do something, so they decided to actually make a big change to the fluff like they'd been promising.

Admittedly, they got it wrong by making it rubbish, but I get the impression they made an honest attempt for once.
My issue was fucking over everyone who'd been collecting a whfb army only to be told that wasn;t a thing any more. I have a load of beastmen I wanted to play, rank and file, at my local GW with a mate. Butttttttt nope.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Basically anything BattleTech. Infinitely superior property, lore, and rules in comparison to W40K, of which the latter has done more than a little to pillage ideas from it.

In associated software products, I'd kill to see a new MechCommander game.

Whatever happened to the real-time tactical genre? Sure, you have people trying to ape things like Close Combat with Gateway to Caen, but it's just not as good as the first three. Plus those map sizes are atrocious. Too big, too empty, and why can't anyone fix god damn mortars?

We need a new MechCommander or CC2ABTF to cleanse the filthy modern gamers, and remind them of an era where you could play yourself into a corner and have to restart your campaign if you played poorly up to that point.

CC2ABTF especially ... I love the idea of a campaign you can just lose. That a lost battle doesn't mean a lost war, or how you need to balance conservation of your forces to actually achieving the objectives in a timely manner. Which makes the Arnhem sector battles nailbiting affairs of where at the end your only option is a protracted defence of Arnhem Bridge.

It's less about winning, more about seeing just how much of the maps you can hold onto.

By the ends of days Day 4/5, those line of apartments you were relying on to hide your Piat teams to help them flank and destroy tanks from theside or rear and gutted wrecks after innumerable tank shells, rockets, grenades and mortar rounds have crashed into them.

Where the first battle of the grand campaign you play (on the side of the Allies) chances are you'll lose, and that dictates just how many options you have if you can't successfully hold Arnhem Bridge ... but on the flipside, if you sacrifice too many soldiers taking the rail bridge map, you don't have enough soldiers to fight your way to take Arnhem Bridge.

I miss these types of games, because frankly they simply don't make them anymore. And it's a shame because it kills like 50% of all emerging gameplay styles based on your performance when it comes to strategy and tactics.

A MechCommander 3 with a more continuity focussed campaign structure like CC2 would be amazing. Persistent terrain scarring, strong points, wrecks of old mechs ...

BaronVonVaderHam

Jan 17, 2018
Metalocalypse.

One of the funniest, most quotable shows on Adult Swim. I loved the music even though I'm really not a metal head. I guess there was some behind the scenes problems that kept the creators from properly ending the series. And it looks like Rick and Morty might be going the same way.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
rosac said:
My issue was fucking over everyone who'd been collecting a whfb army only to be told that wasn;t a thing any more. I have a load of beastmen I wanted to play, rank and file, at my local GW with a mate. Butttttttt nope.
Oh, that yeah. Though, you can still play beastmen, not like Tomb Kings or Brettonians (or even Empire Knights).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
BaronVonVaderHam said:
Metalocalypse.

One of the funniest, most quotable shows on Adult Swim. I loved the music even though I'm really not a metal head. I guess there was some behind the scenes problems that kept the creators from properly ending the series. And it looks like Rick and Morty might be going the same way.
I have mixed feeling about how it ended. They did 4 seasons and the Doomstar Requiem, where the show was finally starting to expond on the whole conspiracy and "Church of the Black Klok" thing before it was canceled by adult swim.

While I'm annoyed that the show never got a final season, I'm also annoyed that the Doomstar Requiem, while quite entertaining, doesn't really resolve much either. They could have used it to conclude the show and instead it kind of putters about not really accomplishing anything. While this is in character for the band, it's still annoying as an hour is essentially 5-6 episodes worth of material they could have used to close out the show.