Projects that fizzled out that you really wish hadn't.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Don't you hate it when people start to make something really amazing, and then. Just stop.

There was a flash animation series called Super Mario Broz Z. that was made in the late aughts. I thought it was really awesome back in the day, but the creator dropped it before finishing the story. Then out of nowhere in 2016 he came back with a remake covering the first couple episodes. It completely blew the previous work out of the water! The animation was better, the comedic timing was better, and the story had some genuinely touching moments. Everything was on a downright professional level. But then Nintendo hit shut down his Patreon and he just folded up, despite still getting significant donations on his non-SMBZ Patreon. Something about depression. It's obvious the series is dead in the water now, despite no official statement from the creator. But DANG that was an awesome first episode! I would have loved to see the rest of the series! I think this is the one that hurts me most. So much promise. Got my hopes up, just to dash them right back down.

[hr]

It's been almost a year since the last episode of Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I'm not even sure what's going on with this one. Legal issues... maybe? Or something? But they were almost done. They were like 3/4 of the way through DBZ, and it's looking like we're never going to even see the Buu arc. Dang!

[hr]

Then there was the Hiimdaisy webcomics. I thought the Persona 4 comic was one of the funniest comics I'd ever read, and then the artist stopped making it before the end... and stopped making comics... and deleted everything :(

[hr]

And the Spoony Experiment was fantastic as well. Spoony was by far the most talented person on Channel Awesome. His Phantasmagoria 2 and Ripper let's plays still make me laugh out loud, even though I've seen them each over 5 times. Then his girlfriend dumped him and that was pretty much it for Spoony. His quality dropped way off, he grew his hair out into a greasy mop, apparently was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and then found that people on Patreon would pay him a ridiculous amount of money for not even making any content. But there was like 3 years there that he made top tier stuff, and god I wish it had gone on longer!

Also another Spoony Example. The first episode of his Deadly Premonition let's play was really funny. He should have done more of that :/

[hr]

And there was Hyperbole and a Half. Man that site was funny! But the last update was in 2013 about depression. Why does it seem like all the most talented people have depression or some other sort of mental illness that makes them waste all of their fantastic talent?

[hr]

Then there was D4. The next creation from SWERY, the man behind the fantastic Deadly Premonition. It was quirky and interesting, but also, unfortunately episodic. It never made it to episode 2, and apparently SWERY's becoming a monk now, so the outlook doesn't seem good.

[hr]

Of course there's also Firefly. One season. Of the best show about space cowboys ever made. There's no punishment fitting enough for the executives at Fox who canned it.

[hr]

Cubeworld had a lot of promise too. Neat procedurally generated voxel based RPG. It was loads of fun. But it's been over 5 years without an update. I'm not sure what happened there.

[hr]

Edit: Thought of another one. The Journeys of Mcgill Feighan by Kevin O'Donnel Jr. He wrote 4 books, and there was supposed to be a fifth to conclude the series, but he didn't write it. Instead he just let it hang for 25 years and then died.

[hr]

Okay, that was a lot longer than I thought it'd be. What are yours?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Just about anything I've ever done in my life.

Drathnoxis said:
It's been almost a year since the last episode of Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I'm not even sure what's going on with this one. Legal issues... maybe? Or something? But they were almost done. They were like 3/4 of the way through DBZ, and it's looking like we're never going to even see the Buu arc. Dang!
I've been told that there were legal issues due to the distribution rights owner changing to Sony or something. And that although they've been resolved, the team kept working on the show the whole time, and are at the point that they'd rather release the entire rest of the Cell Saga in one 90 minute video than release individual episodes.

Or so the rumor goes. Their website is down and says it's being redesigned. I'm guessing they plan to launch the new site with the mega vid.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

[link]https://web.archive.org/web/20150629053754/http://cardgallery.tales-tra.com/main.htm[/link]

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
The Familiar series by Mark Z. Danielewski.
A pretty high concept series of books, that Danielewski apparently wanted to make 24 of, with multiple characters and evolving text.

I always enjoy the stuff he does so it was a shame to see the publishers can it.

I'm also hoping that Erin Dies alone will one day get a conclusion.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Star Citizen.

Yup, it's reaching Duke Nukem levels of a joke at this point. I personally would like to have seen more There Will Be Brawl and Fallout: Nuka Break. I would like to have seen the entire planned arc of Carnivale. There are single season animes I liked, but the only one I wish would continue but know won't would be "Kaze no Stigma."

And Star Wars 1313. That sounded like something I really wanted. Down and dirty rebellion with none of that hokey religion lazersword nonsense. Murdered because there wasn't any multiplayer planned... How did the multiplayer-focused Battlefront 2 do btw? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH(the pwn laugh could go on for daaaaayyyys)

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Guillermo Del Toro's version of The Hobbit. It fell apart after 18 months of pre-production. Instead, we got 3 movies I'd rather not talk about.

I sometimes lie awake at night, wondering what might have been.

Kendritch

Apr 22, 2018
Spider-Man 4. As bad as SM3 was, that was Sony's fault, not Raimi's. Raimi had some very interesting plans for SM4 and the Vulture, and I would've loved to see his take on the winged menace. He also wanted to cast the spotlight on the Black Cat and Peter's strained marriage (Peter cheats on her with the Cat). We could've seen an adult Peter struggling with marriage issues for the first time, but it was not to be. Sigh.

Next, we have Hellraiser: Origins, the cancelled indie film that first made its appearance as a two minute trailer. It was a nice throwback to the more serious take of Hellraiser in the first two films, but was unfortunately cancelled. The CGI is a bit iffy, I'll admit, but I liked the fact that we got to see the actual 'hell' itself in all its gory details, not to mention the interesting origin story as to where Pinhead came from. I'd certainly like to see a deeper study of the Cenobites' philosophy of sadism and torture, which such an origin story could possibly bring -- ala Batman Begins style tapping into the psychological side of the mythios.

Next, Neill Blomkamp's Alien. Let's face it, a large number of us would like to see his variation of the Alien universe. He impressed me a lot with the gritty District 9, and with how corny certain Alien movies ended up (greedy corporate empire trying to use science for... EVIL!), it would've been nice to see what Blomkamp does with the franchise, not to mention the kind of Xenomorph design he could bring. Never cared much for Scott's Prometheus movies that will replace Blomkamp's projects, and I probably never will.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Legacy of Kain game 'Dark Sun' or whatever it was called. Loved the franchise back in the day and a real bummer the last game never saw the light of day before they cancelled the franchise altogether. Second would be the Hellraiser remake by Pascal 'Martyrs' Laugier. He would have been the perfect director for this movie before the deal fell through with Dimension films after refusing Bob Weinstein to compromise on his vision. Third would be the obvious Silent Hills though hopefully Death Stranding will make up for it.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Trinity Blood is one example, though its abruptly ended because the creator Sunao Yoshida past away from a lung blockage(choking). Lee Myung-jin whom created the Ragnarok manga was supposedly asked to pick up his friends work,but was unable as they were very busy working on the Ragnarok manga. It would have been interesting to have found out how it all tied up in the end.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
there was a Gotham by gaslight game thrown to the winds and a Bioshock movie canned before anyone could lick the set designs. Stop canning steampunk(esqueties)...good fucking damnit! It hasn't had its time to show what it's capable of yet. And every sci-fi idea that we may never know about because hardly anybody likes to invest in the genre, except when they do, for which I'm not sure what pattern that logic follows yet

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Doctor Who. The series was cancelled after Season 26, which means that Andrew Cartmel slowly building up Sylvester McCoy's Seventh Doctor as a darker, more mysterious figure over Season 25 and 26 never got the payoff it should have done.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Sooo many things.

Games:
Predestination.

Shows:
Firefly, Dark Matter, Terra Nova, Dark Angel.

Webcomics:
Strays Online, <link=http://abominable.cc/archive>Abominable Charles Christopher (Had two pages added since apparent Hiatus), and then there is of course <link=http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider000.html>Outsider Which is ..sort of.. updated. Only Very Very Slowly.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
stroopwafel said:
The Legacy of Kain game 'Dark Sun' or whatever it was called. Loved the franchise back in the day and a real bummer the last game never saw the light of day before they cancelled the franchise altogether.
Definitely this. I would have loved a new LoK game. Heck I quite liked Nosgoth as well. It was a unique multiplayer game with truly a-symmetrical teams, and I loved the aestethics of it. Sad that they started to mess up near the end and got too money hungry without the game even being out of "beta".

My pick: Terraria: Otherworld.
I only heard it was cancelled yesterday, which really sucks. Terraria is awesome, but after so many hours I've seen it all already. I did hear that Otherworld didn't have the passion of the original game behind it since a third party was making it. But still I would have probably liked the game a lot.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
sanquin said:
My pick: Terraria: Otherworld.
I only heard it was cancelled yesterday, which really sucks. Terraria is awesome, but after so many hours I've seen it all already. I did hear that Otherworld didn't have the passion of the original game behind it since a third party was making it. But still I would have probably liked the game a lot.
WHAT!?
Sorry, I mean..Really? They cancelled it?
I like Terraria in general and similar games very much so, so I had heard they were making a sequel to Terraria.
Even followed it casually on facebook. That's too bad.
Though it might not have been as good if the passion wasn't in it.
Now we'll never know, sadly.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Drathnoxis said:
[hr]

Then there was the Hiimdaisy webcomics. I thought the Persona 4 comic was one of the funniest comics I'd ever read, and then the artist stopped making it before the end... and stopped making comics... and deleted everything :(
Shame about the old comics since they were pretty funny and great parodies but she's not really stopped, she changed her handle to Gigidigi and works on her webcomic Cucumber Quest which has been running for quite some time and is actually pretty good, so it might be worth a look if you haven't read it.

As for stuff that fizzled out, I don't know, many things but that's just how life is and I'm not really passionate enough anymore to remember caring about something enough that I wish it would continue.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Thirding the Spoony One disappearing from the face of the internet, I used to watch his videos all the time... and then he just stopped making material altogether. Shame that.

I'll also mention The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, two great cartoons that got screwed over because of company deals.

And on that note, MEGAS XLR, Symbionic Titan, the Thundercats reboot, and other cartoons that got screwed over by bureaucracy.

Edit: oops, forgot about Transformers Animated. I blame Cartoon Network.

Kendritch

Apr 22, 2018
That reminds me, now that you mentioned cartoons that got screwed out of a good thing - Teen Titans. God, I loved that series. It had that perfect balance between mature drama and light comedy. Then it got reduced to TT-Go, ugh. That "Things Change" series finale felt like such a slap to the face.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
09philj said:
Doctor Who. The series was cancelled after Season 26, which means that Andrew Cartmel slowly building up Sylvester McCoy's Seventh Doctor as a darker, more mysterious figure over Season 25 and 26 never got the payoff it should have done.
Ouch, yeah. Never really that fussed on the Cartmel plan, but it was done so well that it wasn't obvious (at least to me) until pointed out later what they were hinting at and never got to.

But the show had been shaky or outright bad for a while, I can see why they decided to cancel it. But they'd gotten their act together and were putting out good stuff again, just in time to be axed. Oddly, sorta the same thing happened to the 5th and 6th Doctors, Davisons run had been shaky, but "Caves of Androzani" was brilliant, now get rid of him, tune in next week for "The Twin Dilemna" (ugh). "Trial of a Time Lord", not great, but better than some of Baker's run, carrot juice carrot juice carrot juice, get rid of him, next story "Time and the Rani". Not as bad as "The Twin Dilemna", but still.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Lord Inquisitor, Sadly cancelled due to being cancelled. Best animation I've ever see in the 40k Universe. It was supposed to have Inquisitors hunting down Alpha Legion with the help of Grey Knights...alas and alack.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Thaluikhain said:
09philj said:
Ouch, yeah. Never really that fussed on the Cartmel plan, but it was done so well that it wasn't obvious (at least to me) until pointed out later what they were hinting at and never got to.

But the show had been shaky or outright bad for a while, I can see why they decided to cancel it. But they'd gotten their act together and were putting out good stuff again, just in time to be axed. Oddly, sorta the same thing happened to the 5th and 6th Doctors, Davisons run had been shaky, but "Caves of Androzani" was brilliant, now get rid of him, tune in next week for "The Twin Dilemna" (ugh). "Trial of a Time Lord", not great, but better than some of Baker's run, carrot juice carrot juice carrot juice, get rid of him, next story "Time and the Rani". Not as bad as "The Twin Dilemna", but still.
Everything in the last two seasons apart from Silver Nemesis is good to great. Colin Baker's era gets a bad rap, and The Twin Dilemma, Mark of the Rani, and Timelash are properly shit, but Attack of the Cybermen, Vengence on Varos, and Revelation of the Daleks are hidden gems.