Projects that fizzled out that you really wish hadn't.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
COMaestro said:
Not quite the intention of the topic, but I'm putting forth Metal Gear Solid V. I don't think there's any way in hell it was originally intended for the second part of the game to just be rehashed versions of the first part's missions, plus that cut "Lord of the Flies" section that was released would have been a great third chapter. It got pushed out to retail before it was really completed.
Yeah, I seriously have to wonder. On one hand, it feels like the game is exceptionally unfinished. OTOH, the game was in development for 5 years. Normally writing the script is the first thing you do and yet it feels like the devs wrote the script for Chapter 1 and bits of chapter 2 and everything else ended up being played by ear. And I swear it feels like some of the most interesting bits of the game are relegated to the audio tapes(such as THE TRUTH tapes).

Still, I have to wonder what the hell happened. 5 years feels like more then enough time for this to all come together and yet it feels like they spent most of that time Tweaking the FOX Engine(which feels like the most finely tuned and well oiled part of the entire experience).

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dalisclock said:
COMaestro said:
Not quite the intention of the topic, but I'm putting forth Metal Gear Solid V. I don't think there's any way in hell it was originally intended for the second part of the game to just be rehashed versions of the first part's missions, plus that cut "Lord of the Flies" section that was released would have been a great third chapter. It got pushed out to retail before it was really completed.
Yeah, I seriously have to wonder. On one hand, it feels like the game is exceptionally unfinished. OTOH, the game was in development for 5 years. Normally writing the script is the first thing you do and yet it feels like the devs wrote the script for Chapter 1 and bits of chapter 2 and everything else ended up being played by ear. And I swear it feels like some of the most interesting bits of the game are relegated to the audio tapes(such as THE TRUTH tapes).

Still, I have to wonder what the hell happened. 5 years feels like more then enough time for this to all come together and yet it feels like they spent most of that time Tweaking the FOX Engine(which feels like the most finely tuned and well oiled part of the entire experience).
I'm sure they had a complete script, they just ran out of time, or budget, or both to actually adapt it. We can only guess what MGS V was originally supposed to be like and just how much or how little of that is in the finished game but I imagine that at least half of it is missing because the game we got is laughably barebones. Sure, making the engine from scratch probably took a lot of time, and probably was a mistake in the first place, but... well, I strongly suspect the story of how the game was made would be a lot more intriguing than the actual story of the game as it came out.

There's no chance that some of the tapes weren't originally meant to be cutscenes, or that the side missions were always meant to be the way they are, or that the second chapter was always meant to be this way or that the two open world areas were meant to be both empty deserts... Kojima's been making games for too long as to not recognize these as mistakes. MGS 4 was arguably a worse game overall but at least you can tell that it was meant to be the way it was.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
PsychedelicDiamond said:
There's no chance that some of the tapes weren't originally meant to be cutscenes, or that the side missions were always meant to be the way they are, or that the second chapter was always meant to be this way or that the two open world areas were meant to be both empty deserts... Kojima's been making games for too long as to not recognize these as mistakes. MGS 4 was arguably a worse game overall but at least you can tell that it was meant to be the way it was.
Yeah, the whole thing with Skullface ends up being interesting if you go deep enough into the tapes. Sadly, his in game presence ends up being "Ha Ha Big Boss, I got you now. I will mock you and then walk away for my mooks to take care of you".

And then there's the 10 minute cutscene where you listen to him monologue on and on until he finally runs out of things to say and both of them just sit listening to the radio for a few minutes while Sins of the Fathers blares. I watched that and kept thinking "What the hell is going on here?"

It all feels a far cry from the Skull Face in Ground Zeros, who played everyone like a damn fiddle!

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Silentpony said:
The Lord Inquisitor, Sadly cancelled due to being cancelled. Best animation I've ever see in the 40k Universe. It was supposed to have Inquisitors hunting down Alpha Legion with the help of Grey Knights...alas and alack.
NOOOO!

I didn't realise it was cancelled. The prologue was better than the actual Ultramarine movie they made.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Bobular said:
Silentpony said:
The Lord Inquisitor, Sadly cancelled due to being cancelled. Best animation I've ever see in the 40k Universe. It was supposed to have Inquisitors hunting down Alpha Legion with the help of Grey Knights...alas and alack.
NOOOO!

I didn't realise it was cancelled. The prologue was better than the actual Ultramarine movie they made.
It would have been incredible! Would that there was a GoFundMe or Kickstarter, I'd have given more than my fair share.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
The original Spore.

The original Diablo 3.

The original plans to progress WoW.

Dark Dreams Don't Die.

Tiberian Twilight.

The original Sims 2.

Tons more. If there was an IRL counter for time spent researching topics like these, I would have weeks in that.

Half Life 3 (/Episode 3)

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Naldan said:
The original Spore.

The original Diablo 3.

The original plans to progress WoW.

Dark Dreams Don't Die.

Tiberian Twilight.

The original Sims 2.

Tons more. If there was an IRL counter for time spent researching topics like these, I would have weeks in that.

Half Life 3 (/Episode 3)
What was the original Sims 2 supposed to be? Also kind of interested to hear about the original Diablo 3 and Spore.