Prolific "video games make you bad" researcher exposed as planning to refuse to publish his work if it doesn't show video game make you bad + mor

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
People don't like making mistakes. Especially public ones.
I agree, that human nature resists publishing one's mistakes.

But these are scientists. We rely on them for our understanding of how the world works. We (should) hold them to a higher standard. We (should) hold them to a code of ethics. If we do all those things, then we can call it "good science".

Otherwise, why listen to them at all? Why listen to them regarding Covid 19, if we can't even trust them to tell us the truth, as opposed to what they want to be true? Why should we wear masks, if it might just be some biased scientist's conclusion, that they only came to after discarding all the rest of the data that disproved their hypothesis?

This is what the criticism is. They're being criticized for refusing to publish results that disprove their hypothesis, that show "video games don't reinforce negative stereotypes". If they did, maybe people would stop having such a negative view on video games and gamers.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Videogames aren't going anywhere, do not fret little ones. It's your guns and testicles we're coming after, ahahaha! And your body pillows.

Then again, maybe a worldwide ban would help with my addictions. Hmm...
Actually, no, those addictions can stay for now.

Man, imagine having something you find really fun and useful for escapism being outright banned despite mountains of evidence it's safer than all of what's not banned, while association can have your life and character destroyed...

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I agree, that human nature resists publishing one's mistakes.

But these are scientists. We rely on them for our understanding of how the world works. We (should) hold them to a higher standard. We (should) hold them to a code of ethics. If we do all those things, then we can call it "good science".

Otherwise, why listen to them at all? Why listen to them regarding Covid 19, if we can't even trust them to tell us the truth, as opposed to what they want to be true? Why should we wear masks, if it might just be some biased scientist's conclusion, that they only came to after discarding all the rest of the data that disproved their hypothesis?

This is what the criticism is. They're being criticized for refusing to publish results that disprove their hypothesis, that show "video games don't reinforce negative stereotypes". If they did, maybe people would stop having such a negative view on video games and gamers.
EDIT (said this sentence wrong) I think you think I'm saying that all scientists are like this. They aren't. But there is also a lot of corruption. It's a minefield

No, you shouldnt listen to a particular scientist about things like COVID. You should listen to where the majority is. It's WAY harder to corrupt a large body of people, particularly across different countries.... But this can fail (e.g. initially relying on Chinese data which was somewhat faked)

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Who is paying the anti-video games people? Bored boomers?
Facebook and ByteDance
sorry who thinks they're saving the world again?

Anita's still at it, huh. Wow gamers are toxic in 2021! What else is new? Blaming Ninja for it too, wtf?! Seriously, the biggest threat for casually gaming women has been the guys that 1) take video games seriously, and 2) promote themselves and that idea online. YouTube and streaming along with esports in general has made this almost the mainstream position nowadays and Anita has jumped in, finding the problems (that everyone knows) and giving no solutions (because they would be hella unpopular). Ninja, xQc, Dr Disrespect don't stream with women not because those women are inferior but because the internet-audience watching that show (Sarkeesian included) is. Sticking to their format is the more responsible way to go.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Facebook and ByteDance

Anita's still at it, huh. Wow gamers are toxic in 2021! What else is new? Blaming Ninja for it too, wtf?! Seriously, the biggest threat for casually gaming women has been the guys that 1) take video games seriously, and 2) promote themselves and that idea online. YouTube and streaming along with esports in general has made this almost the mainstream position nowadays and Anita has jumped in, finding the problems (that everyone knows) and giving no solutions (because they would be hella unpopular). Ninja, xQc, Dr Disrespect don't stream with women not because those women are inferior but because the internet-audience watching that show (Sarkeesian included) is. Sticking to their format is the more responsible way to go.
I think you might want to re-word that last bit it either sounds like you're saying the internet audience is inferior to women (could be said to be true depending on the context lol) and or that Anita is inferior to women thus not a woman.

I think I get what you're trying to actually say but I'm not certain.
I'm guessing you mean the internet audience view women as inferior and the streamers play to that audience. Which I dunno can you name name many female streamers who are fairly well known but also do join streams / co-streams with others regularly and also aren't best known for animal abuse, yelling about how people are abusers and being kind of disaster zones attacking brands on twitter or kind of wouldn't fit on a Dr Disrespect, Ninja or xQc stream.

I can maybe name like 2 female streamers who might fit the bill but one is kinda not well known and the other I don't think knows English very well if at all.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Are we really shocked at this?
This sort of study isnt being done to pursue knowledge, it's being conducted to reinforce a political bias. If the results don't fit the agenda, then they have no use for them.

The apparent issue here is that people are pretending a study like this was done in good faith, for the sake of finding the answer. It wasn't, it was fishing for results they wanted, and having failed, the results are being casually discarded.

Science isn't infallible. It's not some exterior force. It's a tool, and can be employed by those who are seeking to misuse it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I think you might want to re-word that last bit it either sounds like you're saying the internet audience is inferior to women (could be said to be true depending on the context lol) and or that Anita is inferior to women thus not a woman.

Which I dunno can you name name many female streamers who are fairly well known but also do join streams / co-streams with others regularly and also aren't best known for animal abuse, yelling about how people are abusers and being kind of disaster zones attacking brands on twitter or kind of wouldn't fit on a Dr Disrespect, Ninja or xQc stream.

I can maybe name like 2 female streamers who might fit the bill but one is kinda not well known and the other I don't think knows English very well if at all.
I could've elaborated a bit, but I wanted to sound really clever (priorities, lol). I wrote that the audience is inferior instead of women (like not inferior to something but simply bad).

The trio I mentioned and others like them
1) take video games seriously, and 2) promote themselves and that idea online
and this is the most consistently popular streaming content (recently some Minecraft players have migrated from YT to put up a bit of a challenge, but we'll see in a couple of years). This content's audience is also heavily male and for a casual female audience that's a tall barrier to cross because they have other options. There is enough variety out there that through some loops and coincidences we sometimes get collaborations where everything goes relatively fine, but that's not Sarkeesian's criticism. Ninja or shroud or whoever can lax their Ultra Gaming Master persona in order to not dumpster a female co-streamer, but Sarkeesian thinks that their audience should do the same and also not comment on any other "problematic" thing either, and thus the responsibility of the streamer is to promote wholesomeness and all the nice things the casual audience likes, not to mention heavily moderate the normal course of their stream chat. This responsibility is simply more important than the streamer's fans, because the 1) and 2) I mentioned are intimidating to some people.

Now let's not give too much credit to the fans; they will take the opportunity to be sexist and belittling and what have you. Immaturity flows strong in these communities. This is why the formula doesn't allow many co-streams with girls, though as you said there could be rare exceptions to that. Changing the formula for the people that perpetuate it now is impossible without a massive increase of moderation and rules against anything "irresponsible". The only hope is gradual change that comes with younger people.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Sarkeesian has almost nothing to do with the thread topic or what I wrote.

You said, "Who is paying the anti-video games people?" Sarkeesian advocates the same things that the "promotes violence" people do and she's not a boomer nor is she funded by boomers. Your comment indicates that you think the only source of anti-video-game studies and view points only come from "old people who don't understand new things or are scared of them" but the facts show this is not the truth. People that want to police what others say and do come from many age groups.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I think you think I'm saying that all scientists are like this
Nope, I don't.

There are already plenty of studies that shows that.
How many studies do you think is "plenty"? How many studies do you think is "enough"?
You don't see any utility in studying a single issue by multiple groups, in multiple different ways?
Do you think the science is settled as to whether or not video games cause [negative behavior] and no more science needs to be done in this field unless it ends up contradicting the data we already have?

If the science is settled, then this certainly hasn't convinced the likes of Sarkeesian and other unethical journalists, who continue to repeat the false claim that video games reinforce negative stereotypes. So either they are ignorant of these "plenty of studies", or they are intentionally ignoring them to push their political viewpoint.

Or perhaps the science isn't completely settled, and people, especially laypeople, need more studies to be done and need it shoved down their throats so that they stop spreading false information? That's one benefit I can see from doing this study to completion and publishing the results.

But, as the tweet said, this is bad science. And as Elijin said, this is politically-funded, agenda-driven, misused science.

Getting your research published takes time, effort and often a significant chunk of money. It is less about refusing to publish then it is about not wasting effort on a publication that won't benefit anyone in any way
Like I said, people continue to spread lies about video games and their effects on behavior. Publishing a(nother) study that says "no they don't" would help.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I think I get what you're trying to actually say but I'm not certain.
I'm guessing you mean the internet audience view women as inferior and the streamers play to that audience. Which I dunno can you name name many female streamers who are fairly well known but also do join streams / co-streams with others regularly and also aren't best known for animal abuse, yelling about how people are abusers and being kind of disaster zones attacking brands on twitter or kind of wouldn't fit on a Dr Disrespect, Ninja or xQc stream.

I can list off over 40 female streamers that are popular, quite a few of them are really good at games. As an example.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Couldn't care less for the schemers involved in this. The only minds they are trying to attract are mainly old people stuck in their ways, or people with no sense of perspective, naive and ignorant, and the foolish. You ain't fooling the younger generation.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You said, "Who is paying the anti-video games people?" Sarkeesian advocates the same things that the "promotes violence" people do and she's not a boomer nor is she funded by boomers. Your comment indicates that you think the only source of anti-video-game studies and view points only come from "old people who don't understand new things or are scared of them" but the facts show this is not the truth. People that want to police what others say and do come from many age groups.
That's a lot of words to express that you have no idea what her videos actually entailed despite having such a rabid hate-boner. Fight on yee culture-warrior!

Reactions: CaitSeith

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well Biden did come out in 2019 to say they're "not Healthy"
I mean their not. Sitting all day and playing games certainly isn't healthy, there is no debate about that.

It's funny because they actually have made some video games to promote themselves lol. Again kind of evidence it's just a distraction wheeled out by them.
Depends on what game and dev he was talking about. If he was talking about... what was that murder spree game that came out awhile back and really just sold on the whole anti-pc anti-sjw thing? Either way it would fit those guys.

Anita thinks she is though lol. Her Vidcon panel years ago was all about how changing media will change culture and create a better world lol.

Also until literally the E3 presentation period last year when E3 was meant to be Anita was claiming nothing had changed and gaming hadn't improved at all in terms of real representation.
Changing media does change the culture, this is well known.

It sounds more like she was talking about the gender make up of developers and who was at the big trade shows. She did talk about some games but from the article I think its a combination of them. Either way, I don't disagree with most of her points, I'm not sure how many of them I agree with, but I don't disagree.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That's a lot of words to express that you have no idea what her videos actually entailed despite having such a rabid hate-boner. Fight on yee culture-warrior!
I'm amazed anyone's even still mentioning her. Her 15 minutes of fame have long since passed, and we should have all moved on.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I'm amazed anyone's even still mentioning her. Her 15 minutes of fame have long since passed, and we should have all moved on.
Right? It's like someone insulting Vanilla Ice's music at this point.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Depends on what game and dev he was talking about. If he was talking about... what was that murder spree game that came out awhile back and really just sold on the whole anti-pc anti-sjw thing? Either way it would fit those guys.
Do you mean Hatred? The game that actually kinda sucked and really needed the super-edgy, "give those old people the middle finger" angle to sell?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Do you mean Hatred? The game that actually kinda sucked and really needed the super-edgy, "give those old people the middle finger" angle to sell?
Yeah that was it.