Promo Offers 300 Free Microsoft Points for Using Your Xbox 360

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Promo Offers 300 Free Microsoft Points for Using Your Xbox 360

Microsoft's official "Triple Play" initiative will reward gamers who explore its console's lesser-used functions in April.

A new Xbox promotion is promising players 300 free Microsoft Points to "game," "be entertained," and "be social." To cash in, gamers will need to do one activity associated with each of these categories during the month of April, ranging from spending some previously held points on virtual swag to spending a few hours of free time on an Xbox App.

Here are the three "plays" from the promotion.

Game On (choose one):
? Play a Kinect game for two hours
? Play online via Xbox Live for 10 hours
? Spend 800 Points or more on game-related items (Games on Demand, DLC, XBLA, etc.)

Be Entertained (choose one):
? Spend 400 Points or more on any film or TV content
? Use one of the following apps for 10 hours: BBC iPlayer, blinkbox, Crackle, Last.FM, LOVEFiLM, MUZU, Netflix, Sky, VEVO or Zune

Be Social (choose one):
? Use Facebook on Xbox Live for one hour
? Use YouTube on Xbox Live for one hour
? Use Video Kinect on Xbox Live for one hour

The program has launched as part of Microsoft's Xbox Live Rewards Program, which gives gamers free points for doing things like signing up for Netflix or giving the development team your feedback. If you haven't joined, it's free, and you can get started on Microsoft's website. The sign up process usually takes about three days though, so plan accordingly if you want to finish earning your 300 points by month's end.

There are some fun combinations out there to help earn you the points but, personally, I would reccomnded the following path for maximum awesomeness: First, purchase four sets of Horse Armor DLC for Oblivion. Next, watch Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900 on Netflix twice. Then, conclude your day with a hour of this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4IxMgHdDY] on the YouTube.

Or, I guess you could just buy 400 MS Points yourself for $5.00. Up to you.

Source: Xbox.com [http://rewards.xbox.com/triple-play-offer/]

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
"Use YouTube on Xbox Live for one hour"

A CHALLENGE TO THE INTERNET: Use this for a one hour Nyan Cat marathon.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Play a Kinect game for two hours?
Maybe its time I broke out Child of Eden again ....

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Sis said:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

I could accidentally get this just for doing my normal weekly schedule.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sis said:

Easily done =P It isn't actually all that bad.

In fact since I probably do the other two "plays" anyway (10 hours online on Xbox Live" and 10 hours of following apps - I do tend to use iPlayer a lot), I make the Nyan Cat one my final one when I'm not particularly doing anything just to get 300 free Microsoft points

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sis said:

I was going to just watch a Plinkett review but now that you mention it...

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
internetzealot1 said:
So I have to spend at least 1200 MP? No thanks.
No, you CAN spend MP to get the bonus. You don't have to. It's one of the choices. Read through the list again and take note of the (choose one) bit above each category.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
So I use Youtube for a while on my XBox and go back to doing it on my PC.

Then I use Netflix on my Xbox for a while and go back to my PS3.

300 points isn't much, but considering it's for crap I already do...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Wow. Really simple. Just put the Youtube app open for an hour and get 300 MS points. Sweet.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'll do this if you answer one question WHAT THE FUCK CAN I DO WITH ONLY 300 POINTS?!

EDIT: I don't want to hear anything about there being multiple options.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Mike Kayatta said:
Game On (choose one):
* Play a Kinect game for two hours
Don't own a Kinect; not going to buy one.

* Play online via Xbox Live for 10 hours
And accept that revised subscriber agreement that forces me into binding arbitration? Very amusing.

Be Entertained (choose one):
* Spend 400 Points or more on any film or TV content
No.

* Use one of the following apps for 10 hours: BBC iPlayer, blinkbox, Crackle, Last.FM, LOVEFiLM, MUZU, Netflix, Sky, VEVO or Zune
Maybe, no, no, maybe, no, who?, no, no, hell no, and BWAH-HA-HA-HA!

I already have Netflix on my TiVo; Microsoft does not need to know what I'm watching.

Be Social (choose one):
* Use Facebook on Xbox Live for one hour
http://www.cultofmac.com/157641/this-creepy-app-isnt-just-stalking-women-without-their-knowledge-its-a-wake-up-call-about-facebook-privacy/

You would have to be an abject idiot to run Facebook on anything other than a severely locked-down browser running inside a VM with no personal information in it.

* Use YouTube on Xbox Live for one hour
Already have it on my TiVo and PC; Microsoft doesn't need to know what I'm watching. (Although I [em]love[/em] the Nyan-Cat idea earlier.)

* Use Video Kinect on Xbox Live for one hour
See previous response on Kinect.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Easy.

Ten hours playing on xbl is a given, I use Last.fm to go to sleep and it ends up staying on the whole night anyways, and I can just have youtube on while I do something else.

Free money, AWAY! *zooms off*

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Is this a joke? When was this announced?

If not, it's a sweet deal considering you don't actually have to pay for anything other than gold membership, which most Xbox users do anyway.

10 hours of multiplayer? Easy enough.
Use Last.FM for 10 hours? Leave it on while I sleep instead of Spotify or iTunes.
Use Youtube for 1 hour? Pretty much do that every day anyway, just have to do it on Xbox rather than PC.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm just going to assume these features aren't being used as much as Microsoft wants them to be. Can any of these be done without Xbox Live Gold by the way? I'd rather take the 400msp for $5 route since I haven't used Gold since 2010 or so.

supernovashadow

Apr 2, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I can do the 10 hours of XBL or one hour of youtube. can i connect my youtube account to my XBL account?
Yep. There should be an option to log in when you start up the app on the xbox. You'll just have to do a verification check on your computer if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm on vacation this week so I'll probably get this done in no time. Free points are free points. Who needs to go outdoors? Bah.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Encouraging people to sit on there asses for 10 hours straight for 300 MS points. Totally worth it /Sarcasm. Or spend money for free points, that doesn't even make sense.