Proposed Bill Gives Obama Power to Shut Down Internet

morpher80

Nov 11, 2007
wait how could obama ban or shut down the internet in other countrys isnt that like against the law in every way

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
You know I can't tell which is worse this, or the Patriot Act? The latter means they can do whatever they want in your house and access your information whereas this one gives them the power to lockdown the WORLD wide web in just America while having access to your cyber files, which are in the current age, close to all of them

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Oh wonderful. Further means for the US to police the world and it's free speech. Security is pointless unless it guarantees privacy, and is paramount upon the latter being preserved. Governments would do better to act on the needs of their people rather than their own fears of the people's dissent.
Great, the second post pretty much wraps up the thread.

Also: even if this dubious bill is passed, I trust that Obama won't use it - because my trust is based on the very strong suspicion that he is not a fucking retard.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
The only thing I hear(see) here is the government saying: "Free will is overrated! Everything should be run by robots!", cause honestly, the government only gets dumber by the second. I see it as that most politicians don't know what they're doing, while few politicans are aware of what really matters and focuses on it. And to them, I say "horray for you". I usually don't care about politics, unless it affects me, which it won't do for a while, since I'm under aged, and money and illegal stuff isn't possessed by me, so until I have to think when I buy stuff with my own money, the politicians words doesn't matter to me (unless it's about Internet surveillance, cause I don't want to be watched by some government dip shit)

mcswift

Jul 27, 2008
It isn't the hip, young, blackberry slinging Prez-o-dent I'm worried about, it's the crusty old guys in Congress (like McCain) who don't know how to "google" (god I hate that verb) or e-mail.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
I wonder,is this all a scheme by some people who ultimately want to shut down the internet forever? I do hope we don't get the equivalent of Citizens united negating technology for life and people safety, off Grand Theft Auto. To be honest, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw This

mcswift

Jul 27, 2008
That makes you an anti-disestablishmentarian. I finally get to use this word in context. Awesome!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The CCP plays mindgames with its people by shutting down the interwebs...
Why isn't this being labeled Communist?

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Man, all this talk about 1984 makes me wanna go back and finish it. Started it up in hish school then lost the damn thing after getting a little bit in, got to side tracked to go pick it up again...

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
*after having banged his head against the wall repeatedly in the hopes this will go away, bangs his head another few times in disbelief*

*cleans his eyes with soap and water*

*pinches himself and gulps a litre of coffee to see if he's not having a nightmare*

*finally jumps out the window, to have a swim*

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not too worried, since the UK's internet won't be affected by any of this.

Our Internet is kept safely in a box on the top Big Ben, plus Stephen Hawking and the other Elders Of The Internet would never give Obama permission to mess with it.