Proposed Bill Gives Obama Power to Shut Down Internet

mcgooch

New member
Jan 24, 2009
124
0
0
I think we need to be careful that our leaders don't destroy what their trying protect. Such a bill would be another nail in the coffin for privacy and freedom of speech.
 

Jerious1154

New member
Aug 18, 2008
547
0
0
Jman1236 said:
What part of "Obama is a Socialist" doesn't america understand. NWO here we come comrade.
The funny thing is that if you had read even the first paragraph of the article you would know that Obama has as of yet had absolutely nothing to do with this. This isn't even a Democratic bill, Olympia Snowe is a member of the Republican party.
Edit: Ditto at the post directly below this.
 

Cortheya

New member
Jan 10, 2009
1,200
0
0
Literally hyperventilating...between this and his "youth corps" welcome to communism comrade...and welcome me to europe cause at age 18 I'm getting the hell out of here assuming I still can
 

Hunde Des Krieg

New member
Sep 30, 2008
2,442
0
0
Well, the US power systems got hacked last week I believe by hackers in China and Russia, so this whole issue has been creeping up around us for a while, quietly, but now it is getting more light than it used to. And so far we really have no effective means to combat any truly malicious attack on our infrastructure.
 

Cortheya

New member
Jan 10, 2009
1,200
0
0
Arbre said:
pffh said:
Lets see extreme power in the hands of a charismatic leader that comes to power after a leader that is consider by it's nation to have screwed up everything. Now where have I seen this before?
Who knows? :)
Maybe I'm a big nerd but seems like emperor palpatine...
sorry double post
 

Spirultima

New member
Jul 25, 2008
1,466
0
0
2 things:

1. rule or not, that destroys someone's free speech and in my case information flow to and from me, communication with friends *cough*, online gaming etc. and if they do close it down, i will be rioting, i don't care about many things else, and i hope all you do to, we can't let OUR freedom be taken away, as you American's stand for freedom and such, let it be so!

2. Most of his fame came from the Internet, hypocritical much?
 

Escapefromwhatever

New member
Feb 21, 2009
2,368
0
0
When will countries see that the internet should be treated similar to international waters? The internet is a international web for the communication of the people, and any blocking of that not only blocks the free speech of the members of your nation, but also the members of other nations. Not only that, but this bill proposes major violation of privacy. What if they accessed banking records?

I've always been proud of the United States' uncensored internet. Lets not give ourselves a cyber-patriot act. We don't really have the right to anyways...its not like the internet is affiliated with any specific nation- except maybe 4chan =P.
 

Bored Tomatoe

New member
Aug 15, 2008
3,619
0
0
I knew something like this would happen eventually.
Once this leads to further restrictions, who wants to start a violent anarchist raider group?
 

opscomm

New member
Mar 24, 2009
30
0
0
zoozilla said:
I almost thought this was a belated April Fool's at first.

Really, though - this gives me 1984 flash-backs.
Well, they are all focused on power, all Obama and his Liberal hacks want is for the country to follow them blindly, just read Mark Levins new book, Liberty and Tyranny.
 

Hunde Des Krieg

New member
Sep 30, 2008
2,442
0
0
Bored Tomatoe said:
I knew something like this would happen eventually.
Once this leads to further restrictions, who wants to start a violent anarchist raider group?
On Motorcycles?

If so, I am totally in.
 

guardian001

New member
Oct 20, 2008
519
0
0
Because it's totally possible for someone to shut down the internet... I suppose they probably think the internet is just a magic box sitting in the center of the US with a simple on/off switch... Those poor, poor technologically retarded fools...

Even turning off the just the American web servers would be an impossible task. I mean, sure, they could probably manage it eventually, but somehow I think the hoards of shotgun wielding /b/tards will slow them down a bit if they try. Not to mention the sheer number of ISPs that there are in the US.
 

Bored Tomatoe

New member
Aug 15, 2008
3,619
0
0
Hunde Des Krieg said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
I knew something like this would happen eventually.
Once this leads to further restrictions, who wants to start a violent anarchist raider group?
On Motorcycles?

If so, I am totally in.
Sweet, I'll get my baseball bat with nails in it.
 

Hunde Des Krieg

New member
Sep 30, 2008
2,442
0
0
opscomm said:
zoozilla said:
I almost thought this was a belated April Fool's at first.

Really, though - this gives me 1984 flash-backs.
Well, they are all focused on power, all Obama and his Liberal hacks want is for the country to follow them blindly, just read Mark Levins new book, Liberty and Tyranny.
Kind of like Rush Limbaugh and his Conservative hacks want you to follow them blindly? Why can't you people see that all politics are pointless and the real power resides in communities, and with real people, not talking heads and representatives. And no I am not talking about anarchism or communism.
 

opscomm

New member
Mar 24, 2009
30
0
0
garjian said:
this is terrible...
what gives america the right to do that... or even decide on such a thing! >:/
NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! The United States Government has been going more and more away from the Constitution ever since the Great Depression. The New Deal was a massive entitlement program aimed at socializing the country, FDR's whole dream was to start the country down the road to socialism, which he started with the New deal. Ever since then, The democratic party has always put forth more and more regulations and laws that restrict the economy until it became recently, moderately government controlled. The United States has not lived inside a truly capitialist society since BEFORE the great depression. Ronald Reagan started us on the road back to capitialism, followed by the first President Bush, who was defeated by Bill Clinton Because the mass media in this country is a wing of the democratic party. The lied and stated there was a recession caused by Reagan's economic policy of tax cuts and less regulations, which really caused the economy to have the economic boom after the horrid years during carter. Clinton caused a recession to begin, which was inherited by the second president Bush along with around 500 billion + national debt. The economy was going strong and the national debt was around 250 billion + when the democrats came in and screwed everything up. Now look, we have a president who is more concerned with his NCAA picks and importing $100 dollar a pound beef for partys every week than running the country. The entire "stimulus bill" was unconstitutional, along with any other entitlement program.
 

opscomm

New member
Mar 24, 2009
30
0
0
Hunde Des Krieg said:
opscomm said:
zoozilla said:
I almost thought this was a belated April Fool's at first.

Really, though - this gives me 1984 flash-backs.
Well, they are all focused on power, all Obama and his Liberal hacks want is for the country to follow them blindly, just read Mark Levins new book, Liberty and Tyranny.
Kind of like Rush Limbaugh and his Conservative hacks want you to follow them blindly? Why can't you people see that all politics are pointless and the real power resides in communities, and with real people, not talking heads and representatives. And no I am not talking about anarchism or communism.
Then why in the world can we do nothing to stop Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi from passing these bills other than shout at their staffers over the phone. They are trying to take all the power away from the people and use it for themselves. And i do NOT follow Rush and The rest of the intelligent news sources because I feel like being myself. I listen to them about once a week so I can see what the lib media isn't telling me about Barack "The messiah" Obama.
 

Hunde Des Krieg

New member
Sep 30, 2008
2,442
0
0
opscomm said:
Hunde Des Krieg said:
opscomm said:
zoozilla said:
I almost thought this was a belated April Fool's at first.

Really, though - this gives me 1984 flash-backs.
Well, they are all focused on power, all Obama and his Liberal hacks want is for the country to follow them blindly, just read Mark Levins new book, Liberty and Tyranny.
Kind of like Rush Limbaugh and his Conservative hacks want you to follow them blindly? Why can't you people see that all politics are pointless and the real power resides in communities, and with real people, not talking heads and representatives. And no I am not talking about anarchism or communism.
Then why in the world can we do nothing to stop Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi from passing these bills other than shout at their staffers over the phone. They are trying to take all the power away from the people and use it for themselves. And i do NOT follow Rush and The rest of the intelligent news sources because I feel like being myself. I listen to them about once a week so I can see what the lib media isn't telling me about Barack "The messiah" Obama.
Our power isn't to influence the country, or change national policy the power is to shape your own community through a 'communal' cooperation. Small town hall democracy. You can change your own communities to suit your own desires, and if you do something illegal on a national scale, but your community accepts it, then they back you up. It's all about your life on your own scale. Shaping your own life.
 

m_jim

New member
Jan 14, 2008
497
0
0
Here's the problem: when the internet was first dreamed up by the US Department of Defense, one of the key features that they required was a decentralized network, meaning there is no way to simply "pull the plug" on the internet. In theory, the government could ask all the ISP's nicely to turn off their servers, but this sounds either impossible to carry out, or wildly unconstitutional.