Proposed Bill Gives Obama Power to Shut Down Internet

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
what if im in europe?
and that is retarded...the internet is suppose to be a sort of mythical land of trolls and stuuupids....):

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
The problem is not is restricting internet access simply in a time of emergency for America, but the internet in it's entirety. The internet is a global system comprised of millions of computers linked together in a complex system of links and connections, it's not just a 'thing' that can be switched on or off. Technically, just two computers linked together could be considered a small-scale internet. The US would have to have the ability to completely take control of every computer and server in the world in order for the idea to work. In the long run, it constitutes breaking into the security and privacy of other nations, as well as simply costing too much to be feasible.

Sometimes, I really hate being American. Check that, most of the time. Is Europe nice?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Nivag said:
That's actually pretty funny. What kind of emergency would need the internet to be stopped.
The Secretary of Commerce : What does this button do?

My opinion on this? Bullshit. You can't have security without privacy.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
they do know that adding the prefix "cyber-" to the start of everything wont make it seem better dont they?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Awful idea. The internet is the best immediate source of info for most people in case of a crisis. And really, what would it accomplish? Communication could be maintained via phones instead. This is really nothing but more Big Brother bullcrap.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
If the government uses this power to out 4chan users and do unto them what they do unto others, I'll be perfectly OK with any other invasions of privacy that may occur.

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM0WIP7eMYs

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Superficial Change.

Just because he's young and black doesn't mean he's any different.

DavisJ3608

The Supremely Awesome
Mar 18, 2009
I love how when Bush was in office, this would be blamed on him and his cabinet of republican advisers. Now, we just blame it on "the man".

[/semi-coherent political statement]

Acid Armageddon

Feb 24, 2009
Nimbus said:
Hold on, this means that Obama will just be able to halt the acess of Americans to the internet, right? He wouldn't be able to take it down on a global scale, right?

This is just another retarded example of America thinking it is the most important country in the world.
Don't be an ass. We (America) are not more important then anyone else, and I don't believe we are. I'm just as upset and opposed to tbhis as anyone else, but I'm sick of people blaming America as a whole rather then the RIGHTFUL problem--the government. So get the facts right before you judge!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:
Hold on, this means that Obama will just be able to halt the acess of Americans to the internet, right? He wouldn't be able to take it down on a global scale, right?

This is just another retarded example of America thinking it is the most important country in the world.
The government IS the country, politically speaking. The government are the people chosen to represent the country as a whole.

Don't be an ass. We (America) are not more important then anyone else, and I don't believe we are. I'm just as upset and opposed to tbhis as anyone else, but I'm sick of people blaming America as a whole rather then the RIGHTFUL problem--the government. So get the facts right before you judge!

Acid Armageddon

Feb 24, 2009
Nimbus said:
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:

The government IS the country, politically speaking. The government are the people chosen to represent the country as a whole.

Well I'm an American and I don't like being grouped up in the so called "retarded American antics" when I have nothing to do with them!

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Wow... Just, wow. A move with stupidity of this magnitude requires
[http://media.photobucket.com/image/ultimate facepalm/clgarcia0331/800px-Epic_Ultimate_Facepalm_of_Epi.jpg?o=1]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:

Well I'm an American and I don't like being grouped up in the so called "retarded American antics" when I have nothing to do with them!
Did you/have you vote/d?

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Wow, how'd I miss this one? Here I was thinking Snowe was sort of sane. Not that I have any faith in Congress in general.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
I assume you mean he can only shut it down in the us,in which case I'm clear.But if he means everywhere,america's gonna be sued by every government in the world cos of their unwanted shutdown.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:

This.
Not all Americans are beer swilling rednecks that go into septic shock if they miss Family Guy. If our government officials tend to think they're "the shit", that's their problem, not ours, because even though we are, by definition, a democracy, if we tried to change the way our leaders do business, it's about as useless as tires spinning in mud-- filibustering.

And I will eat my hat if you can prove that we did not get the rest of the free world off of its knees after WWII (yes, I know, old news), and for giving you guys new toys to test out on your colonial holdings.

Acid Armageddon

Feb 24, 2009
Nimbus said:
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:
Acid Armageddon said:
Nimbus said:

I voted for the first time in November. The person I voted for lost, therefor, what the Government has done is in no relation to me at all.

Did you/have you vote/d?

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Fruitloops89 said:
Man, all this talk about 1984 makes me wanna go back and finish it. Started it up in hish school then lost the damn thing after getting a little bit in, got to side tracked to go pick it up again...
The ending gets really stupid - but the lead up to the end is pretty awesome. Half-Life 2 reminded me a lot of what 1984 would probably look like if there were rebels to fight against it.