Prosecutor To Seeking Hate Crime Charges and Death Penalty For Spa Shooting Suspect

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A man accused of killing eight people, six of them women of Asian descent, in shootings at three Atlanta-area massage businesses was indicted Tuesday on murder charges, and a prosecutor filed notice that she'll also seek hate crime charges and the death penalty.

A Fulton County grand jury indicted Robert Aaron Long, 22, in the March 16 slayings of Suncha Kim, 69; Soon Chung Park, 74; Hyun Jung Grant, 51; and Yong Ae Yue, 63. The indictment only covers those four killings that happened at two spas in Atlanta, and not the attack in Cherokee County in which Xiaojie "Emily" Tan, 49; Daoyou Feng, 44; Delaina Yaun, 33; and Paul Michels, 54, were killed.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis also filed notice that she intends to seek hate crime charges and the death penalty against Long, who is white. The hate crime charges are based on actual or perceived race, national origin, sex and gender, according to online records. Georgia's new hate crimes law does not provide for a stand-alone hate crime. After a person is convicted of an underlying crime, a jury must determine whether it's a hate crime, which carries an additional penalty.

The indictment charges Long with four counts of murder, four counts of felony murder, five counts of assault with a deadly weapon, four counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and one count of domestic terrorism, according to online records.

It will be up to a separate grand jury in Cherokee County to decide on charges in the shooting at a spa near suburban Woodstock in which four were killed and one person was wounded.

Willis' decision to seek the death penalty is a departure from her stance during her campaign to be district attorney last year.

During a candidate forum last year, Willis answered yes when asked: "Will you commit to refuse to seek the death penalty?"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Damn straight. If the defense attorney uses the whole "he had a bad day excuse", I am just going to flip. They should use this clip as a counter argument to the defense.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Damn straight. If the defense attorney uses the whole "he had a bad day excuse", I am just going to flip. They should use this clip as a counter argument to the defense.

Yeah, some one has been watching The Joker too much. Thinking D-Fens is the accepted approach to real life problem is idiotic. But then, I remember the gay panic laws...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I find myself more fascinated by the fact that there are 2 MC Hammer posters on prominent display in the background of that clip, which dates that film so much it hurts my brain.

I've never understood the whole "Bad things happened to me, so that justifies me being bad in return" logic. Sorry but everyone has had some terrible shit that's happened to them in their life. Doesn't mean we get to go around and just wantonly kill each other. We live in a society. And I'm saying that unironically, regardless of how the Joker tries to use it. The whole point of society is we agree to not treat each other like assholes, and that way, we can all get along and have a decent life. But chucklefucks who decide to go vent their frustration on others? Because of real or imaginary slights? Sorry, zero fucking sympathy. You are making yourself into the thing you hate, that you feel justified lashing out against.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean...yeah, what was their first clue? Did they realize this before or after the killer openly admitted that he just wanted to kill some ching-chong yellow face Jap Chinamen?

Like I'm all for hate crimes having a high standard, sure, why attribute racial malice to a crime when regular malice works. But this fuck face murderer openly and proudly admitted he was hunting and killing Asian women because they were Asian women.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sorry but everyone has had some terrible shit that's happened to them in their life. Doesn't mean we get to go around and just wantonly kill each other. We live in a society. And I'm saying that unironically, regardless of how the Joker tries to use it. The whole point of society is we agree to not treat each other like assholes, and that way, we can all get along and have a decent life. But chucklefucks who decide to go vent their frustration on others? Because of real or imaginary slights? Sorry, zero fucking sympathy. You are making yourself into the thing you hate, that you feel justified lashing out against.
Thank you. That's my problem with these assholes. They think themselves special, because of their misery, and thinks it gives them to right to do anything they want. A bunch of piss ant, wannabe copy cats with nothing to stand out from each other. Thinking they're "different", smarter than anyone else, or epsecially other guys like them. Enough of the wannabe Joker/D-Fens/Johan Libert/Nihilistic "Smart Guy/Gal" bullshit!

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Here's the thing. On principle, I am against the death penalty. I feel that it doesn't deter crime, and in cases of miscarriages of justice, it's a lot easier to undo a life sentence than "Oh, shit, that guy we executed last year was actually innocent." In addition, the cost of death row is quite a bit higher than a life sentence.

All that being said...if the justice system insists on having the death penalty, and must use it, this is about the best case scenario for it. I still don't think the death penalty is ever justified, but this is the closest I can get.

Also, congratulations, BrawlMan. You got a like just because you name-dropped Johan Libert.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Thank you. That's my problem with these assholes. They think themselves special, because of their misery, and thinks it gives them to right to do anything they want. A bunch of piss ant, wannabe copy cats with nothing to stand out from each other. Thinking they're "different", smarter than anyone else, or epsecially other guys like them. Enough of the wannabe Joker/D-Fens/Johan Libert/Nihilistic "Smart Guy/Gal" bullshit!
Part of the problem is that pop culture glorifies the wrong people. The Joker, Walter White, Tyler Durden, Harley Quinn, Rick. These are NOT good people living happy lives doing good things, they are at best criminally insane mass murderers with no chance of ever being free, safe and happy.
Some loser fuck who can't get a handjob in a massage parlor is all like "I'll go be the Joker, people love the Joker!" And its like NO! We love when the Joker gets beaten, we love when his plans are foiled and he gets stopped. No one likes when the Joker wins, no one cheers when he raped Barbara Gordon, or when he skins children alive. He's not the hero

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
No one likes when the Joker wins, no one cheers when he raped Barbara Gordon, or when he skins children alive. He's not the hero
To some people, he is a hero, because "he doesn't give a damn about your feelings, he tells the system to get fucked and he does what he wants". It's a juvenile power fantasy that some of the "rugged individualist" types have never outgrown.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Part of the problem is that pop culture glorifies the wrong people. The Joker, Walter White, Tyler Durden, Harley Quinn, Rick. These are NOT good people living happy lives doing good things, they are at best criminally insane mass murderers with no chance of ever being free, safe and happy.
Some loser fuck who can't get a handjob in a massage parlor is all like "I'll go be the Joker, people love the Joker!" And its like NO! We love when the Joker gets beaten, we love when his plans are foiled and he gets stopped. No one likes when the Joker wins, no one cheers when he raped Barbara Gordon, or when he skins children alive. He's not the hero
What's funny is almost none of these people would give these losers the time of day.
  • The Joker would see them as lesser versions and dime store imitations of himself. The same goes for Harley Quinn, regardless of the version or whether she broke up with Joker or not.
  • Walter White would not care for them. Drug dealer and everything.
  • Tyler Durden would use them for Project Mayhem and nothing else. Conformists pawns to be disposed of.
  • Rick Sanchez would hate them and just use them as test subjects when given the choice. Ironic, as he only likes suck ups when it's his own family doing it. Most of the time.
  • D-Fens himself would be disgusted by these people, but very hypocritical coming from him.
  • Junko Enoshima would use them only to spread ultimate despair, and will either have them kill each other (when no longer useful), or she'll kill them herself, so they cannot be traced back to her. Despair is all she cares about.
  • Johan Libert sees them as ants and will only find little entertainment in them. Similar to Junko, use them, have them go (further) insane, and then kill themselves after murdering many others, so nothing gets traced back to him. In fact, Johan has killed racists/Neo Nazis for not being evil enough. This is canon, because he believes in evil itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentPony

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I bet if the day before the shooting, someone else ran him over with a truck, he'd not be too impressed to find out they were doing it because they had a bad day.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I bet if the day before the shooting, someone else ran him over with a truck, he'd not be too impressed to find out they were doing it because they had a bad day.
The teapot calling the kettle black. Would suck to be either of those guys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To some people, he is a hero, because "he doesn't give a damn about your feelings, he tells the system to get fucked and he does what he wants". It's a juvenile power fantasy that some of the "rugged individualist" types have never outgrown.
Perspective matters. Sorta off topic so,

Seinfeld tells a joke that when he watches a nature show, if it is about the predator, he is shouting, "use your strength! Get that prey!" and "use your speed, get away!" when about the prey.

Good illustration of this:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So many of these things happen I had to pause for a minute and try to think which mass shooting it was. I was at first confusing it with the one at a yoga studio.

Reactions: Thaluikhain