Protect Your Loved Ones with a Real-Life Minecraft Sword

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Protect Your Loved Ones with a Real-Life Minecraft Sword

Forged like a real sword, this steel replica of the pixelated Minecraft Sword cuts both ways.

Tony Swatton's been forging weapons and armor for over thirty years. He's made props for everything from Pirates of the Caribbean to Blade. While admittedly he's been too busy honing an ancient artform to play games, he has decided that the pixelated artifacts of Minecraft would pose an interesting challenge. It's forged out to steel with an ebony and cocobolo handle and colored to look like a diamond sword. While the blade is sharp and functional, you'd likely be better off leaving this one on the rack.

The video above shows how Tony went about making the rather unorthodox sword. The process involves a hunk of steel, a 1,500 degree furnace, a power hammer, a belt grinder, and five quarts of elbow grease. The particular challenge here was how to give it that blocky look while still creating a (theoretically) functional sword. While the pixels are etched onto the blade, the handle is made from blocks of ebony and cocobolo wood fused into a nickel frame.

As this sword is close to being an exact replica, it's not designed for comfort. If the serrated handle looks like it might hurt, that's because it will. As Tony warns, "it's going to hurt the person holding the sword almost as much as what you're whacking with it".

This isn't the first time that Tony has made an exotic weapon from interesting source material. On his YouTube channel, he's created everything from Sora's [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPH8Pe5G1p0&feature=share&list=UUNKcMBYP_-18FLgk4BYGtfw]Keyblade[/a] to [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6UneNt1LWc&list=UUNKcMBYP_-18FLgk4BYGtfw&index=10]Oddjob's hat[/a]. Personally, I'm holding out for an [a href=http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_Shard]Annelid Crystal[/a].

Source: [a href=http://youtu.be/aNZRmvELxXM]Youtube[/a]

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think going "I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!" can get across how much I want it.

Also, who else kinda wants to be a blacksmith now? 'Cause that profession seems badass all of a sudden.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
one day a blocky individual will claim the blade as the rightful wielder, as fortold in the legends

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
War Penguin said:
I don't think going "I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!" can get across how much I want it.
So...Do you want it?

I'm not even a Minecraft fan, and I think this is freaking awesome.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
*subscribed.*

That's quite neat, and the process of it being made was pretty interesting too even if I had no idea what was going on for most of the time :p.

EDIT: He needs to make a pair of real-life power claws.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
War Penguin said:

Also, who else kinda wants to be a blacksmith now? 'Cause that profession seems badass all of a sudden.
Yeah, that wasn't an option on my high school career aptitude test... I wonder if Notch is going to buy this off of him... If anyone buys it, it should be Notch.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
The keyblade video was even better, as he talks about why he chooses the different grades of aluminum. Oh, and he finally puts an edge on the thing, so it's essentially a small halberd.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Been watching this genius for a few weeks now, you left out some of his greater pieces. I'm kinda holding for Jetstream Sams HF Masumura.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Dudes, he's made Fin's sword from Adventure Time.

This guy can just have like, all of my money.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
As much as I want that sword, I suddenly want almost as much to make a sword (not that one though, that looked difficult). This made me realize that I have access to pretty much everything I might need to do it, even if I have to resort to hardening it with a blow torch...though that probably won't work and chances are I'll lose a finger but having a custom sword, it just seems awesome.

...That awkward moment when you're making a sword because you saw it on the internet and someone asks you what you're doing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
im still laughing about the smurf juice comment "drink it and you will see smurfs then die"
Even the Evil Smurfs?

With gloves the sword be okay.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
During the video when they slice the watermelon, all I could hear in my head was a voice saying "HAHA, FUCK CIRCLES!".

I've been wanting to get a foam pickace but that sword just makes foam feel inadequate now.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
It looked damn impressive. And that is one helluva manly job. The channel looked quite interesting, so that's a +1 subscription for them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
KeyMaster45 said:
Dudes, he's made Fin's sword from Adventure Time.

This guy can just have like, all of my money.
I was going to mention that since that was the video that let me to that channel.
I can assume he must be rich or have alot of money by now given to the commissions he must of recived to make more of those replicas.