Protectors of the Crystals, a Final Fantasy RP (Dead)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Dagon had walked into town on foot the previous night, sleeping near the palace gate. With some rags over his head to cover his head, most would have mistaken him for a common vagabond. He kept the rags on his head as he woke up and went into the castle. He stayed near the back, looking up at the images of the crystals. He put his right fist into his open left palm and bowed before the images, muttering a prayer as the king gave his opening speech. He felt bad about not listening, but piety took priority.

He managed to listen to the King give the instructions on what had to do, and Dagon gave a quick salute, sprinting off towards the shipyard. I shall board the ship and depart POSTHASTE! The fact that he didn't know where the ship was, who knew where to find it, or what the ship was even called didn't seem to faze him. He had an order to protect the crystals from the king! The gods would guide him to his destination!

wilcoblackflame

Mar 15, 2012
The royal capital Alexia...What an absolute delight to be walking these streets, the white mage thought to herself as she made her way through the well kept streets towards the castle. The cultural centre of all Halvor. The very seat of the kingdom itself! Glorious! She had to make a point of keeping her expression neutral, else she'd be liable to be walking around with a grin on her face, which she reminded herself, would be very unprofessional given what she was here for.

And then it was time. The castle. She spoke barely a word once inside, only doing so when the king asked them where they were from. She considered momentarily asking for further information about the assignment...but..no. That wouldn't be right. Undoubtedly, the king had a spymaster to keep him well informed. This mission would surely not have eventuated if he wasn't certain. And then there was Captain Highwind. She would of course relay all the information they needed.

She did wish however, that she could have as much confidence in her fellow volunteers. Of particular concern was the mage Gerhard. Vaila knew of him. He had quite the reputation around Byron. Unpleasant, frequently drunk and, she noted as he asked about the king's haste while they had been waiting, definately rude. Her rat-like nose twitching in irritation as he made the small scene. Granted, she'd heard the stories around town as to what had made him so unsavoury. Anyone who'd been in Byron for any length of time did after a while. But even so...This was the royal castle! Was it too much to ask him to conduct himself with some decorum here?

Banishing the dirty look from her face, Vaila returned her expression to normal and averted her gaze from the unpleasant black mage, casting her eyes around to take in the other adventurers, the royals and the castle at large.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
The trip was a royal pain in the ass, that was for sure. The conditions were less then acceptable. Simo said that it was important that the Rangers of Arnetis remain humble and eschew all extravagant means of living, but it was hardly fitting of a shooter with his talents. Surely someone who was summoned by the King himself deserved a little better? A fine carriage, stocked with liquors, pulled by the finest golden chocobos that the kingdom had in its stable? Not some loping journey through the backwaters of Halvor, hitched to an inferior brown variant. It's because of that he had a rotten recovery period and was a little late getting in for the meeting. But they could wait. Surely a shooter with his talents couldn't be left behind. They would be stabbing themselves in the eye if they did.

The trip was the latest factor flipping the coin in Rowen's mind regarding his allegiances between his blood and his craft. However, he still got more out of his place of training then the meager familial strings connecting him to Lumalna. Hence when the King asked where he was from, he answered Arnetis. Hell, why was that even a question? They ain't been connecting to me at all, 'cept for sending Micallef after me. Couldn't even be bothered to come in person. They'll see. I'll prove my worth. I'll prove I'm the best shooter in the land. They'll be proud of me once I save this place. They'll have to give me the praise I deserve. They'll have-

Rowen's internal self-grandising tuned out a lot of the King's speech, finally coming back in when he heard the details on this trip they were taking. More rough travel, into the mountains. The upside would be if they got there first, defense would be easy: high ridges made for great positions when it came to taking shots. The news that it would be an airship taking them through the rocky terrain was also a plus. Finally some proper treatment! The short-lived smirk on his face was wiped off when the captain stepped forward, and boy did she look pleasant to deal with. Aw hell. Figures we get the typical, uptight 'I'm fighting against the patriarchy so I must be a hardass' type *****. That's going to be fun to deal with. He looked around at the other warriors standing as the objects of the King's attention. Don't tell me she's the only other human here too? Jeez, rat, horns, no fucking clue, ears, no fucking clue, and a goddamn cat. Holy fuck. This is going to be one long-ass trip. Well that looks like another thing I won't be getting out of this.

Question period had apparently started, as some of the others started asking for details. One of the unknowns asked where the ship was, and Rowen was inclined to back up that question. "Yeah, when can we get outta here so I can do what I do best?" And get this over with so I can get back home to reap the rewards?

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
The two questions that seemed to arise from the crowd was where the airship was and when they would be leaving. It was good to know that there wouldn't be time spent on too many questions. "Right now. Captain Mira will lead you towards the airship bay where the Alexander is docked. While you are aboard her ship for the duration of this mission, she will be acting as your leader. Any questions, concerns, inquiries and other such things should be directed to her and her crew. I trust that will all return safe and sound back home, after a successful mission." Theodoric returned to his throne, sitting down next to his wife, Queen Catherine, who placed a hand on his, both of them feeling more at ease, knowing that the threat would be taken care of.

Yuria had no questions of her own, instead just listening in on what the King had to say. She didn't look around at the others amongst the crowd like many others were doing, her ears perked as she listened. It was great that they would be heading out right away. Some adventure would do her good. Using her Red Mage training for something as important as this. It would do her father proud.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
"With me." Mira thunped her halberd into the ground, then turned to head through a side door, and from there lead the group through the palace, heading westward and upwards until they emerged at the airship dock on the roof of the west wing of the palace. Two ships were docked there - one a beautifully crafted work of art, gold and silver decorating the hull, every timber hand carved, every bolt placed to accentuate its beauty. That was not theirs.

The Alexander lay beyond it, a titan whose shadow devoured the small pleasure ship, bristling with weapons, four great propellers hanging behind it like whirling swords. The hull was weatherworn dark wood, and while there was beauty to be seen in it there was no doubt that it was a warship, not a yacht.

"That is the Seraph, one of His Majesty's personal air craft." Mira gestured at it, her manner suggesting a certain contempt. "Under ideal circumstances it can keep up with Alexander. But make no mistake, unless you are seeking silk sheets the Alexander is the superior vessel for this and any other mission.

As they approached the boarding ramp there were two soldiers in the uniform of the Airship Corps waiting, armed with pistol and saber. They saluted Mira, which she returned. "Mister Rafen, order the boilers to run us up. Mister Dane, go to Lieutenant Safis and tell him to take the helm and put us on course as soon as we've cleared the dock."

The two soldiers nodded, saluted again, and departed. With that Mira led them up the ramp and into the cargo hold of the Alexander. "Welcome aboard the Alexander." She turned to face them, the door sliding up soon after the last of them were aboard. "It is a long journey to our destination. A few things to bear in mind: Travel by sky can be unpleasant for some, the ship's doctor is just below topdeck, he has some remedies that will help. We are using a half crew so billeting will not be a problem, crew quarters are on the third deck, just pick a billet. And while for those able to play I do appreciate it, there is no recreational drum playing on my ship. This is because if you hear the sound of drums we are beating to battle. I understand all of you are warriors, and may wish to offer aid. Do as you wish, but do not impede my crew."

"Does anyone have any questions?" As she spoke the deck shuddered and each of them could feel the Alexander take flight.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Dagon had been running in circles for several minutes, looking at several airships, even passing the Alexander a couple times before he noticed the sound of an airship taking off. "Aha! That must be my vessel!" Without any other words, he made a mad dash to the ship as it started lifting off. Noting that the ramp was too far away to make it in time, Dagon veered left and ran up onto the Seraph to get some proper elevation. The shouts of a few guards were drowned out by the ever-growing loudness of the Alexander. Heading to closest point the Seraph was to the warship, Dagon took a running start and made a grand leap to the nearest foothold he could establish. He managed to land on one of the canons, about a quarter of the way up the ship. He took a look up, and noticed an open window that seemed to go into some sort of cargo hold.

With his destination now in sight, he focused as much power as he could into his legs, making another great leap. It was right then the ship lurched as it began to actually take off, and move a few inches higher. Dagon tried to claw towards the window, but it was just out of reach. However, before he could even look down, he felt something grab his arm. Someone had reached out this window and grabbed him. "Praise the crystals, the gods have shown me favor once again!" he said, although it was drowned out by the propellers. He managed to scramble his way up, and his thin fram let him slip through the hole with ease. He tumbled though, quickly jumping up to his feet. "Thank you, kind stranger. I-" he turned around but whatever grabbed him seemed to be gone. He then noticed he was in one of the dark corners of the cargo hold. "Hm... what would anyone be doing here?" He shrugged his shoulders, willing to chalk it up to divine intervention and went to look for a crew member to direct him to the person in charge.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Roderic wasn't too concerned when he saw the group of individuals take off towards what he could assume was the destination. Roderic wasn't in any rush though, as he was confident he could get to where he needed to be in time. He had a slight concern as he watched the cargo door close. Not that it meant much to him, of course. No entrepreneurial individual like himself would be unable to climb, especially with this particular ship having so many handy footholds, ropes, and other such spaces to get a hold of.

With a quick sprint, he jumped on, and took a few quick jumps from spot to spot until he felt that it was a good enough spot to slip in. As he did so, he chuckled and leaned back taking a quick look around. Of course no one would be here, slightly to his surprise. Wasn't sure if it was luck or....

...Is that a Yuke outside? What the hell is he doing? He isn't going to make that! He had taken the time to look outside, and wasn't sure what he was seeing. Roderic thought a moment. It wasn't really his problem, so he shouldn't even be considering this. Fellow seemed to be trying his damnedest to get up, and then made another insane leap. This one truly was insane, as the ship lurched and began its takeoff.

Without a second thought, and with almost a practiced hand of grabbing gems, Roderic grabbed the Yuke's arm, and tugged him to the window. The fellow said something like "Praise the crystals" or something, but Roderic was already in the process of slipping away to another part of the hold, and seeing if there was another thing to explore.

He figured no one would mind him...unless these were the friendliest group of adventurers ever.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Gerhard boarded the ship without comment although he made a mental note of the manner of the soldiers aboard it. The captain, Mira, had already foreshadowed the atmosphere of the ship. It was clean, cold and precise.

How droll. I suppose everyone on her ship is going to act like they have a broom handle shoved up thei-

The ship shuttered suddenly as it began to ascend and Gerhard took a step to brace himself. He managed to stay on his feet while some of the mercenaries gracelessly collapsed onto the deck. One of the guards snickered.

Well at least they know a landlubber when they see one.

Readjusting his hat, he made his way to the third deck alongside a Mithrian Red Mage. Immediately she seemed to recoil in the close proximity of the stairway. She made a wry comment about his odor but Gerhard just ignored her.

"Where's the galley. I swear if all they have is Alexian wine I'm going to jump off..." he muttered.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
.Nr. i

Eyes refocused to the armored one named, Mira. The congregation gathered near the new captain as she took them to the airship, so he followed suit, still keeping his gaze on her.. Arbitrary details were spoken, save for where things were on the ship; that would be stored away for now. The Black Mage eyed the large ship, the Alexander and found very little in the way of a proper entrance. He thought that it may be a quirk of airship design, but then the pressure from the ship?s take-off got to him and such thoughts were tumbled away from his mind. Protocol suggested that the person entrusted may not be in control of things. Either that or unreasonable in her requests.

The Black Mage thought to follow this Mira, but her stationary stance yielded no progress, and gradually the congregation was leaving. So, he followed the group in a normal pace, looking for an entrance through their actions. He observed people leaping to ropes far above him; some of them even succeeding and making the climb to the top. There was no way the Black Mage could do that; he neither had the parameters nor the time to make such a physical leap. Others circled the airship for a gangplank or other kind of opening. It took some time, but he found some kind of way in; many people pushed and shoved their way in, not wanting to be left behind by this new handler. There was an art to shoving past people according to protocol: walk in a straight line with left shoulder to the front and arm poised to swat away people in front of him. It took some doing, but he finally made it into the airship.

While being informed of the location of rest, the Black Mage thought instead to explore the airship?s facilities. He gave no response and got to making rounds inside this new ship, starting from the top deck...

wilcoblackflame

Mar 15, 2012
Vaila smiled and gave the captain a respectful salute as she finished addressing them and the group dispersed about the ship. She did fret for a moment that she might have gotten the posture wrong, but there was no helping that now.

Gratful for an opportunity to spend some time away from the pervasive smell that lingered around Gerhard as the mage departed, Vaila stood and watched as the gleaming hull of the Seraph passed them by. No doubt the Alexander was the most suitable vessel for their current goal but she'd be lying if the prospect of silk sheets didn't have some appeal.

Smirking to herself at the thought, she made her way below decks, contemplating stopping by the ship's doctor a little later to discuss methods.

Possibly that would have to wait though. It might be a good idea to claim a billet now, preferably one near a window. She'd no experience with the dimensions of the quarters on a vessel like this, but if they were cramped you would be surely grateful of any fresh air.

Descending the stairs, it looked as though she wasn't the only one who'd come this way. Gerhard and a red mage were also on the third deck...Oh well. It didn't do to be impolite. Fixing a pleasant smile in place, she stepped off the stairs and onto the third deck.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
"Welcome aboard the Alexander. It is a long journey to our destination. A few things to bear in mind: Travel by sky can be unpleasant for some, the ship's doctor is just below topdeck, blah blah blah..." Lilianna had never been aboard the Alexander, specifically, before, but it would be easier to stumble around to get her bearings rather than listen to Mira's no doubt beautiful and stimulating welcome to the throng of people. Now, the topdeck... there had to be an entrance to the captain's room somewhere. A quick question yielded a quick answer, and surprise, surprise, Mira didn't keep her room locked. She thought she saw some sign that said "Private" or "Captain's Quarters" or "Keep Out Or Die" or something. The airship took off soon after. Lilianna popped her ears, bracing herself against the wall until they had stopped ascending before looking around.

The room was boring and spartan. A small cot in the shadows, perfectly made and barely used from the looks of it, and a table bigger than the thin mattress overflowing with captain junk. Charts, a telescope, a compass... expensive stuff, top of the line... ChoCho!~ Lilianna grabbed an old, yellow toy from among the piles.

Chocho was a bright yellow stuffed Chocobo, big enough to fill the arms of a small child. She had given it to Mira when she first left to join the Airship Corps. She had also sneezed on it and slept with it a night when she was sick, hoping to get Mira sick enough so she would flunk out of the program. By the look of it, her master plan hadn't worked.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Pretty much a dead silence greeted her words. Good, she'd been concerned that she'd be caught wasting time with some gormless country bumpkin wanting her to explain how the Airship worked in one syllable words. She gave the assembled men and women a curt nod. "Very well. Then I recommend settling in. We have a long flight ahead."

She left the hold and began making the rounds, inspecting the ship from boilers to mast cables, stopping here and there to trade words with her crew.

"Simons, what's your assessment of our fighting ability with the reduced crew?"

"As far as our firepower as long as we can keep the enemy on one side we're at normal, but if we need both sides at once we're in trouble."

"Think the Mages can pick up the slack?"

"Never seen them before, no way to be sure. But I have to doubt it, Cap'n."

Mira nodded. "I believe your shift is over, if you'd like to take a shot at fleecing our guests at cards."

Simon gave her a big grin. "I'll do that, Cap'n."

"Just try not to embarrass thsm too badly." She returned to her sweep, finally ending at her quarters. She opened the door and paused - something wasn't right. She raised her halberd - then stopped as she saw who it was, the sight sending a jolt through her. Dread. Relief. Elation. Irritation. On one hand her guests included a warrior who she knew to be strong, brave, and loyal. On the other hand, she was also her bratty little sister. Give her free rein and in an hour the crew would hear of every embarassing adolescent incident, every baby story, every boyfriend, everything down to the kitten and...

Damn it she already found ChoCho?!

"Lili, what have I told you about going through my room?"

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
Lilianna quickly turned around, one hand behind her back with her yellow captive, the other saluting. "Greetings, Captain Highwind. Lieutenant Colonel Serafine, reporting for duty." she forced her most deadpan and flat voice, stance stiff as a board. "Captain Acteon sends his regards, and prays the crystals guide us back safely." She couldn't hold back a wry smile, cocking her head. "If you wanted me to stay out of your room, you should have kept it l-o-c-k-e-d. But since ya didn't, I took the liberty of reacquainting myself with the famed captain of the Alexander."

"And I must say my findings were very relevant!" She cheerfully brought ChoCho around and squeezed it in her arms. "You look so strict and mean out there! Is that why you're not married yet?"

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
"I don't keep it locked because my crew knows better." She glared at her sister. "And who are you to talk about getting married? Did you get hitched when I wasnt looking?" Her glare intensified, then she glanced at the stuffed chocobo and it broke, a laugh bursting out of her as she stepped closer and pulled Lilianna into a bear hug. "Haha, ah, I missed you, Lili."

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Roderic took his time, glancing through what things sat in the cargo hold. Didn't seem like too much was in here. Just the necessary things for survival, which was food and water. Nothing wrong with that though, as he figured that it might be a good idea to come back to this place later, just in case he needed to make a hasty escape. While he wasn't too keen on leaping from the ship, he had seen people do it before. Crazy bastards, and he wasn't sure if they survived, but what they were using to do it looked simple enough, he hoped.

In any case, he decided that there wouldn't be much point in his typical 'hide in cargo hold till landing' routine, since he figured his presence wouldn't be that uncommon. The real fun might start if any of them had seen any bounties, wanted posters, or anything like that. It would make the trip a little more interesting. Not many places he could go, but then again he didn't know who else was on board yet. Maybe they would be helpful.

He wasn't going to discover much down here though, and started to make his way upstairs. He was slightly pleased as no one seemed to even notice, nor pay him any mind as he made his way to the top deck. He wanted to stand out there for a while, look at the city down below. Perhaps see if something would happen that would keep him entertained for wherever this ship was going.

"Damn nice outside...hopefully it lasts." Roderic said, largely to himself at this point. He knew it was a bad habit, but wandering about on your own tended to make bad habits like that.

Doc Gnosis

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2010
Country
United States
Nr. i

The sensation of the floor vibrating beneath his feet was not something the Black Mage thought he may adjust to. The large hat was bouncing slightly, and his mask was slowly sliding off; on occasion he had to readjust it so it did not fall. Protocol dictated that it was never to fall off; 'no-one but no-one is allowed to see your face.' as one Arcanist said. That said turbulence was making it so difficult that he had to keep a gloved hand on the mask to keep it safely on as he climbed the stairway to the top deck.

Another sensation braced him as he reached the top, seeing the open skies and the congested tower structures just one story above his head. He walked up to the railing to observe the surroundings. Six minutes would pass and he would walk to the other side to stare for another six minutes. At times, he would turn his head or place his hand against his brow; the Black Mage was not quite sure of the significance of those gestures, but that was protocol. Before he reached the railings, his ears picked up some sort of movement. He cocked his head to the left and noticed one walled off chamber. His head tilted at the sight in case there were people watching. A question entered his head about why would there be a room on the deck where the entire area appeared unsafe. A minute passed and protocol dictated that he needed to go to the other deck and keep his focus on the horizon.

Six more minutes pass and it was time to go below deck. The scent of sulphur, saltpeter, and coal wafted in his nose...

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
"Mira-kiiins, you're crushing me against your aarmooor..." Lilianna complained. She was a full head shorter than Mira, technically, but not if you included her horns. "I'm just joking around, kinda, but its the next thing I expected you to go do. Go get married to some stuffy uniform. Captain Highwind, I believe we should get married and produce offspring" she wiggled Chocho in front of Mira's face, trying to mimic what she assumed a stuffy high ranking uniform sounded like. "And you would be all like, Oh yes, Captain, post haste! That is indeed a magnificent idea. For the glory of the crystals!" For some reason, she used the same voice, but it didn't matter. "Sides, you haven't exactly written in a while. Its like you hate shore leave. I'm never even sure you got half my letters." She wiggled out of Mira's grasp after returning the hug. "Buuut now that I see your cabin, there's not much space for martial relations."

She tossed Chocho on the fabric covered metal. "When I heard you were going to be leading this, I just had to sign up. Not to mention it's way more exciting than standing on a wall throwing rocks at the monsters that come too close. We're gonna be on the offense this time! You have a pretty motley group to take care of too. Figured someone had to be here to say "Yes, Captain!" and "How high, Captain!" when you say jump."

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
She gave one last squeeze as Lilianna slipped away, then sighed, beginning to put up her gear her helmet on the desk, her halberd against the wall. "After Captain Aleran made Admiral we had to split, regulations and all. Since then I haven't had a lot of prospects, most men either gawp at me or are always on the verge of wetting themselves. Not great relationship foundation. " She dropped into her chair. "I don't hate shore leaae! I..." She trailed off and rubbed her face. "I always have to be Captain Highwind, hero of Northwind Harbor, The Champion of the Skies. Ever since my promotion, ever since Northwind. Heroes don't have days off."

She shook her head, her expression gone from fond amusement to glumness before she rebounded. "Nevermind that. Motley group indeed. I wanted to take my pick of Halvor's best, but instead I got this mess. At least one of my picks got aboard. Glad I have you, although I think you're thinking of someone else. When have you ever said How High?" Mira shook her head, her lips tugging into a smile.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
"Aw, I liked Admiral Cyrus. He was hotter than i-f-r-i-t. Stony gray eyes, hair that never moves in the wind... Oooh, I wonder if he's still available." She gave Mira a saucy look. "Couldn't see you being married though. You'd butt heads every day for the rest of your life. But what a waste. Rawr." she laughed, clearing a small spot of the table to sit down. A few baubles clattered to the floor, adding to the mess. "I'll pretend to listen to you in front of the peasants. Can't run around upstaging the Champion of the Skies." she joked. "Next time we land in a city, we need to have you a proper shore leave. Some food, some drink, some companionship?" Lilianna gave Mira a toothy smile. "I mean, there's plenty of guys who like a cold dominatrix."

"So does the whole crew know you have a gorgeous, brave, sword waving, non-heroic, baby sister on board today?" Lilianna never talked much about Mira to her brothers-in-arms. It would sound like she was bragging, and honestly, she didn't need the comparison to be made. Not to mention they weren't really sisters. Lilianna didn't even have their last name. "How've you been? Last I heard was when you uh... got hero'd. When ya made Captain." She tried not to talk about the... deaths. It was generally a place you didn't go.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
"I am not a dominatrix!" Mira said, her voice sharp and reproving. Then she got red around the cheeks. "Okay, there was that one time, but I haven't made a habit of it." She started talking fast, obviously anxious to change the subject."Until I saw you going through my stuff I didn't know you were aboard, I don't think I ever got any paperwork for this army of cloens they saddled me with. Unless it went in the pile." She shook her head. "My old crew back on the Redtail knew about you, but those were...well, it was a different crew. I was just the boss, I could talk to them. Well, some. Even the ones who came over from Redtail aren't the same."

She trailed off and got up, digging around in a footlocker until she pulled out a squat bottle of green liquid. "I haven't had a drink with my little sister since..." She rubbed her chin. "Since that party we had at home when I was on leave, right before you joined up...time flies." She dug out glasses. "Same rules for us as the crew - you can drink, but if you get drunk I'll use your fat to fuel the boilers." She poured the drinks and took a sip, seething at the taste - it was an old Galkan brew, colloquially known as Cactuar Juice, and was frankly more suitable for cleaning weapons or torching buildings than actual drinking.