Prove to me that the Gaming Community Excludes Women

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Dragonbums said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
DrWut said:
You have convinced me, that artist has to go. There is no excuse for those shoes.
I can't believe you thought it was the boobs. It was always about the shoes. No woman in her right mind would want to identify as someone wearing those
At least she isn't wearing crocs.

Anyone who wears crocs who are not grandmas or at Walmart lose 500 points from me. Anyone who wears Uggs can just be permabanned everywhere.
You don't love the crocs with socks look?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
TaboriHK said:
WhiteNachos said:
Where are the people highly visible in gaming community against women's rights? I've yet to see any.

These issues about whether such and such trope is sexist or whether there's enough female characters in games or whatever are not women's rights issues because these games are not violating any of their rights. People have the right to make any kind of portrayal of women they want in their games. They have the right to not include them at all if they want. Same with men.
If you hate women to the extent that you don't want them to be visible AT ALL in this industry, then you are against their rights. I'm not saying these groups advocate woman slavery (although I wouldn't put it past a large number of them), but one of THE fundamental rights is the right to coexistence. Don't be obtuse. Or, spend an hour reading the Gamer Gate hashtag. It's EXTREMELY present.
I have never seen someone advocate a total ban on women characters in video games if that's what you meant.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Anyone who wears Uggs can just be permabanned everywhere.
do Australians get a special reprieve?

Colour Scientist said:
I was watching Orange is the new black and saw a character wearing them

and THAT is why I never want to go to prison. A loss of dignity on that level would be too much to bear (that and the "mu mu" type things I saw around....at least Dayas mum rocks it with a t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up)

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
I have never seen someone advocate a total ban on women characters in video games if that's what you meant.
No, that's not what I meant. I mean they don't want women playing games, they don't want women making games, and they don't want actual women being visible in the industry in any way.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
TaboriHK said:
WhiteNachos said:
No, that's not what I meant. I mean they don't want women playing games, they don't want women making games, and they don't want actual women being visible in the industry in any way.
Haven't seen people advocating for that either.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
WhiteNachos said:
TaboriHK said:
WhiteNachos said:
Actions over words, friend. You may not say you don't like black people, but if you burn a cross on their lawn, no one thinks you are spreading the Word.

KokujinTensai

Feb 11, 2009
Uh show us actual evidence and not some random twitter post of this "Suppression of women" and I'll eat my fedora.

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
5 pages later and still no evidence of the supposed rampant misogyy of gaming community.

This thread speaks for itself. Thanks to OP for asking the right questions.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
I guess you don't visit the internet or play games online very often, then. I don't know what to tell you.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
KokujinTensai said:
Uh show us actual evidence and not some random twitter post of this "Suppression of women" and I'll eat my fedora.
Try marrying a woman and then playing games online with her. That's all the evidence I need.

Ramzal

Jun 24, 2011
TaboriHK said:
KokujinTensai said:
Try marrying a woman and then playing games online with her. That's all the evidence I need.
I did and do. We usually have fun. Until some one out of 200 someodd people say something sexist, and then she puts them on blacklist/ignore and she goes back to smiling and headshotting people. There are crappy people out in the world, nothing will change that and she doesn't expect it to. So she just shoots and teabags their bodies harder.

I generally don't care because I'm not overprotective of my wife and she can hold her own against -far- worse than some mean spirited person who could be thousands of km away telling her to "get back in the kitchen." If you decide to continue dealing with certain individuals who say things you don't agree with in spite of that ignore function, you have no one to blame but yourself.

LawAndChaos

Nice things are gone
Aug 29, 2014
So personal experience = evidence now?

Well then, I guess exclusion doesn't exist ever at all, because in all of the years I've been online I've never seen a woman be treated with disrespect in games for being a woman. Being a poor player or a whiner, now that's a different story.

You're making broad strokes based on what you've seen. That is not evidence, that is you insisting you are right on the basis of being a witness to it. Because you see it, it must happen everywhere. Except that it doesn't. You merely make the claim without substantial evidence.

At least you're being honest about not really having any substantial evidence.

And Ram beat me to the rest of the response. You have the power to shut these people up. Blocks and mutes exist, so what is the problem?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Vault101 said:
do Australians get a special reprieve?
One can make exceptions. You guys deal with a lot. At least it's protective footwear against 30 foot mega crocodiles. Still ugly as fuck though. (Really who conceptualized that crap?)

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Dragonbums said:
The Almighty Aardvark said:
DrWut said:
You have convinced me, that artist has to go. There is no excuse for those shoes.
I can't believe you thought it was the boobs. It was always about the shoes. No woman in her right mind would want to identify as someone wearing those
At least she isn't wearing crocs.

Anyone who wears crocs who are not grandmas or at Walmart lose 500 points from me. Anyone who wears Uggs can just be permabanned everywhere.
Holy shit no. Everyone in my hometown did it at some point. They looked like they had granny feet. I mean...I guess it's comfy? But fuck you look ridiculous :p

Which is funny because I'm one of the last people to give a shit about looks.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
geK0 said:
Dragonbums said:
Does gaming actively exclude? No.

Is it off putting to many people? Yes? It seems that gamers as a whole are in abject denial of how we look to people who don't play videogames at all, or even on a monthly basis. Especially in regards to women, and other minority demographics.

Some, like all people, legitmately don't give a fuck about vidya. Others, when glancing at Gamestop just don't see anything even remotely "female friendly".

You guys can list indie and JRPG games all you fucking like. But at the end of the day, when most people walk into game centric stores like Gamestop they are going to see the "kiddy" section that is Nintendo, and the "mature" section that is Sony and Microsoft. None of the games on full display look anything different. Same shit different age. Big, buff, burly dude with explosions in the background and probably fuck tons of testosterone and oh look- A new GTA game is out. The most mainstream game on the planet next to Mario and Pokemon. That's not even getting into the stereotype that's still alive and well that the moment you say your a girl people dog pile your ass with sexist slurs and shitty kitchen jokes.

Of course Extra Credits puts this way better imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8
I guess Gamestop needs to start selling more Nintendogs and Barbie games right? Because girls just don't like guns and violence and zombies and such. There needs to be more games about flowers and sharing!
I'm genuinely curious how you got that out of my post. Aside from stereotyping "non gaming casual who has no interest in any videogames" that's not even what I said. It's like you stopped halfway through my comment and called it a day.

Especially since I'm a women who plays games.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Dragonbums said:
geK0 said:
Dragonbums said:
Does gaming actively exclude? No.

Is it off putting to many people? Yes? It seems that gamers as a whole are in abject denial of how we look to people who don't play videogames at all, or even on a monthly basis. Especially in regards to women, and other minority demographics.

Some, like all people, legitmately don't give a fuck about vidya. Others, when glancing at Gamestop just don't see anything even remotely "female friendly".

You guys can list indie and JRPG games all you fucking like. But at the end of the day, when most people walk into game centric stores like Gamestop they are going to see the "kiddy" section that is Nintendo, and the "mature" section that is Sony and Microsoft. None of the games on full display look anything different. Same shit different age. Big, buff, burly dude with explosions in the background and probably fuck tons of testosterone and oh look- A new GTA game is out. The most mainstream game on the planet next to Mario and Pokemon. That's not even getting into the stereotype that's still alive and well that the moment you say your a girl people dog pile your ass with sexist slurs and shitty kitchen jokes.

Of course Extra Credits puts this way better imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ZVZRsy8N8

I guess Gamestop needs to start selling more Nintendogs and Barbie games right? Because girls just don't like guns and violence and zombies and such. There needs to be more games about flowers and sharing!
I'm genuinely curious how you got that out of my post. Aside from stereotyping "non gaming casual who has no interest in any videogames" that's not even what I said. It's like you stopped halfway through my comment and called it a day.

Especially since I'm a women who plays games.
Welp, I guess I'm being combative for no reason

don't mind me

*runs away*

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Ramzal said:
I did and do. We usually have fun. Until some one out of 200 someodd people say something sexist, and then she puts them on blacklist/ignore and she goes back to smiling and headshotting people. There are crappy people out in the world, nothing will change that and she doesn't expect it to. So she just shoots and teabags their bodies harder.

I generally don't care because I'm not overprotective of my wife and she can hold her own against -far- worse than some mean spirited person who could be thousands of km away telling her to "get back in the kitchen." If you decide to continue dealing with certain individuals who say things you don't agree with in spite of that ignore function, you have no one to blame but yourself.
I'm glad your experience is different than mine.

LawAndChaos said:
So personal experience = evidence now?

Well then, I guess exclusion doesn't exist ever at all, because in all of the years I've been online I've never seen a woman be treated with disrespect in games for being a woman. Being a poor player or a whiner, now that's a different story.

You're making broad strokes based on what you've seen. That is not evidence, that is you insisting you are right on the basis of being a witness to it. Because you see it, it must happen everywhere. Except that it doesn't. You merely make the claim without substantial evidence.

At least you're being honest about not really having any substantial evidence.

And Ram beat me to the rest of the response. You have the power to shut these people up. Blocks and mutes exist, so what is the problem?
Today I learned that personal experience is not relevant to a social issue!

LawAndChaos

Nice things are gone
Aug 29, 2014
Today I learned that personal experience is not relevant to a social issue!
No, today you learned that personal experience is not sufficient to demonstrate the presence of a social issue within a specific group. You have seen it, so therefore we can confirm it exists, sure. We could even assume there are fringe groups in every community that do this, fair enough.

BUT.

Firstly, the minority does not accurately represent the majority. I don't know why you decide to insist that you're right with your (as in, 1 person out of tons and tons of people) personal experience being the only proof you have. Truly, the gaming community's exclusion policy is rampant! They MUST be stopped before it's too late!

See, here's the thing about games. You can always quit, or restart, or play with other people, or put people on mute. You are in control of your own gaming experience, even with other players. You have the choice. No one is forcing you to sit there and take shit.

I'll admit I was abrasive. My apologies. All the same thanks for being dismissive.

And while I'm at it, keep in mind that internet etiquette is impossible to enforce everywhere. Even if women were 50/50 to the men, we'd still have people insulting women for being women and men for being men. We'd still have people insulting other people based on race, orientation, gender and age. Just because we are all equals does not mean everyone will act as if we are equal, and it definitely doesn't mean people on the internet are going to treat each other with love and respect. I think we are confusing the terms "inclusive" with "acommodating." No one can control what you play. They can certainly affect your experience, but in the end you are just as responsible if you choose to face them rather than shut them up.

If a part of a community is toxic, there probably will never be a cure. Even if you change the people in the community, so long as the toxic people are still there, there's still going to be problems. And non-toxic people could easily become toxic people. It doesn't take much to bring out the worst in people; all you need is anonymity.

Cutting a weed is not as effective as pulling it out by the root. Our social issues relating to gender go deeper and way farther back than inclusive/exclusive-ness in some random gaming communities. Don't blame gaming for gender issues rooted in the whole of society. If you've got weeds, do you attack the roots or the stalks?

JohnFei

Sep 25, 2014
Aaaaaaaaaaannd still no evidence whatsoever of the rampant evil misogyny in gaming.

On the plus side, a lot of smart hipster one-liners, so there's that.

This thread is too hilarious. Keep it up.