PS Plus Members Get Rayman Origins For Free

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS Plus Members Get Rayman Origins For Free

On September 24th American PS Plus members will have access to new discounts in addition to a free copy of Rayman Origins.

In case you weren't yet sold on the merits of PlayStation Plus, Sony has announced a slew of discounts and free games that might just do the trick. Perhaps the best perk to come with this latest update to the service is the inclusion of the Vita version of Rayman Origins.

Arguably one of the best games available on the handheld following its launch, Origins was the precursor to the recently released <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127490-Rayman-Legends-Vita-Getting-Patch-for-Missing-Levels>Rayman Legends. Built on the same foundation of lush hand drawn visuals and 2D platforming, Origins was arguably the perfect partner to help early adopters get a bang for the bucks they spent on the handheld. Now, PS Plus members who haven't tried the game yet will be given access to it free of charge.

This complimentary game comes in tow with a slew of discounts on titles including Limbo, Worms Revolution and Lone Survivor: Director's Cut. Lone Survivor is, of course, the enhanced PlayStation port of Jasper Byrne's critically acclaimed indie title. The 24th is also the game's official release date on PSN.

Sadly, the update also contains some bad news. Resident Evil Chronicles HD Collection will be leaving the PS Plus Instant Game Collection on October 1st. Granted, getting Rayman Origins is a pretty sweet tradeoff, but it's still unfortunate to see the game go.

Source: PlayStation Blog via <a href=https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/23/playstation-vita-rayman-origins-free-tomorrow-for-playstation-plus-members.aspx>Game Informer

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Aww dammit (not owning a viable PS anything for this deal), thankfully though I'm getting Rayman Origins on my birthday.

I played the demo on the 360. I'm not sure how different the Vita version is but damn Origins is a good game.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Primary difference as best I can tell is that all of the lums that appear in bubbles can be collected by tapping on the touchscreen in addition to catching them in the normal way. Relics are also collected via the touchscreen - not sure if these are in the other versions of the game. (I have it on Vita).

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I dont really know how ps+ works, do you change your free game every month? Or do you keep adding them to your library?

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
sid said:
I dont really know how ps+ works, do you change your free game every month? Or do you keep adding them to your library?
They have what they call an "Instant Collection" Every week a new game is added and stays there for a while. Subscribers just need to go and add it to their account and they can download it for free as long as they are subscribed to plus. If they drop the subscription they lose the games. If you join now you don't get access to any of the free games that were in the collection though.

Apr 28, 2008
sid said:
You keep adding them to your library and they're yours to play so long as you have a PS+ subscription.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
sid said:
As long as you are subscribed to PS+ you can keep all the free games, if you have them downloaded on the Vita/PS3, but they do change which games are free each month. So just don't delete them from the vita/PS3 until you're all done. =)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
When did Rayman suddenly get a popularity boost? It went from a game that was there but ignored to "omg Rayman" instantly.

Personally with games that have huge, open world's with bucket loads to do, a 2D side scroller seems indie level to me... How can a basic game even be a blip on radars? It's what surprises me about Mario as well.

Skyrim has shit loads to do, from crafting to magic to Smithing to dragons... 2D platformers are go from left to right and not die.

If you like it then good for you, I'm just not seeing the appeal.

I've got ps+ now but I'm swerving this one

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Eh, already have Origins, but I can highly recommend it to anyone. It's one of the best platformers I've ever played, as well as one of the most difficult.

I'm kinda jealous of EU PS+ owners because they're getting Far Cry 3 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Kinda bullshit. But I'm sure we'll get them eventually. :]

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
StewShearer said:
Could you possibly clarify that this is for US subscribers, as they run different deals to the EU (I'm not sure about other regions).

For EU the games this month (from the 25th) are FarCry 3, Dragon's Dogma and Giana Sisters for PS3; Streat Fighter X Tekken and Touch My Katamari for Vita

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Megacherv said:
StewShearer said:
Could you possibly clarify that this is for US subscribers, as they run different deals to the EU (I'm not sure about other regions).

For EU the games this month (from the 25th) are FarCry 3, Dragon's Dogma and Giana Sisters for PS3; Streat Fighter X Tekken and Touch My Katamari for Vita
Not to mention EU subs already had rayman origins for Vita for free.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
omega 616 said:
When did Rayman suddenly get a popularity boost? It went from a game that was there but ignored to "omg Rayman" instantly.

Personally with games that have huge, open world's with bucket loads to do, a 2D side scroller seems indie level to me... How can a basic game even be a blip on radars? It's what surprises me about Mario as well.

Skyrim has shit loads to do, from crafting to magic to Smithing to dragons... 2D platformers are go from left to right and not die.

therandombear said:
sid said:
As long as you are subscribed to PS+ you can keep all the free games, if you have them downloaded on the Vita/PS3, but they do change which games are free each month. So just don't delete them from the vita/PS3 until you're all done. =)
even if you delete them they are still in your download list so you can get them again, and if your subscription lapses you will still be able to get all the ones you downloaded back once you renew your subscription. Personally I've had it since day one and it have given so many games that I can't get to them all and it's filling up my hard drive. I have a 750 GB and I only have 50 left. It's a good service I say.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
therandombear said:
sid said:
You can delete them, as long as they are added to your account and as long as your PS+ is current you can redownload them.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
WeepingAngels said:
therandombear said:
sid said:
You can delete them, as long as they are added to your account and as long as your PS+ is current you can redownload them.
Ah, mk, I wasn't sure about that and didn't really want to try to find out I couldn't get the game again. :p

Bottom line, it's a good service!

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
therandombear said:
sid said:
To add to this:

As long as the game is in your download history, you can delete and re-download as many times as you need to; the game will work as long as your PS+ is active, and you are online (we often miss this factoid).

...HDD space becomes an issue with extended PS+ subscription. As a hoarder, I often just start the download for the new games each month, and cancel when it actually begins. That way, I save the space, and the game is in my download list for me to return to at my leisure.

omega 616 said:

Your loss.

2D platformers typically have a challenge focus that open worlds always lack, and the best struggle to reach. 2D platformers have the virtue of decades of history to learn from; they call up the time video games were designed to be games, not worlds to explore.

Not to knock open-world games, either. Skyrim, among many others, are excellent games, and I'm super stoked for Watchdogs. It more shows the breadth of the medium of 'video games' that you can still have fun games that have an older game design (2d, platformer) and newer. I am a bit worried that 'open-world' will become the new trend, as CoD-esque FPS is now, but that's a different story.

Your argument...is an apples to oranges comparison. One can say they like one or the other, but you're not going to get very far trying to explain why one is better than the other.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Ipsen said:
I'm not really comparing them, I'm just saying there are games with loads of content (like some minor rpg elements) and then there is "go from left to right and jump" with little challenges like "collect things".

I've played free flash games with more to them, though I've only watched an episode of a let's play.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Megacherv said:
StewShearer said:

Can do.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
StewShearer said:
Megacherv said:
StewShearer said:

Can do.
WOo! I have influenced an article!

Next stop, THE WORLD!