PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is Sh*t"

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Visually I think it looks great, it's like Secondlife but with much better graphics and I can even put up with the load times but I find it boring, with little content. I'm happy to see a few games coming in there now at least but it's like being at an amusement park... when you have to wait for the rides and I never cared for that much.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Don't have a PS3 so I couldn't say how good Home is. Though, just by looking at it it seems pretty boring. At least they were willing to admit they don't like their product and will maybe make it better.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
danpascooch said:
Tom Goldman said:
"there are 1.7 million repeat users each using Home for around 53 minutes on average."
Using it for 53 minutes on average a week? A month? Total!?

Because if it's 53 minutes spent on home total, then it MUST suck, and people just want to try it out, or leave their PS3 on it or something.
52 minutes of that is probably spent loading the fucking thing. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure this shit out.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
I tried Home and whilst the graphics are kinda nice, it's seriously lacking in content. Oh yeah, and I need to have a male avatar so I don't get stalked everywhere by guys doing running man behind me =/

It seems like a pretty pointless thing to pursue on the part of the developers.

blue_thimble

May 29, 2010
I am surprised how many people went into Home less than a handful of times and are expert enough that they think their opinion should count. I have heard that there are almost 2 million unique people in Home worldwide everyday. If you haven't been in the Sodium space or to Loco Roco Island, you haven't seen enough to know what you are talking about. The MAG apartment rocks, but I don't think you can get it anymore.

If you have never seen the pants that are shooting out money or avatars dressed as space aliens, best to go visit Home again before leaving your opinion. And they release more every week. People who don't play Home are not experts on Home in my book. That is my 2 cents.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
blue_thimble said:
If you have never seen the pants that are shooting out money or avatars dressed as space aliens, best to go visit Home again before leaving your opinion. And they release more every week. People who don't play Home are not experts on Home in my book. That is my 2 cents.
So basically it's still a ripoff of second life and even more creatively bankrupt. That's my two cents. Here let me add the two cents of my friend who actually owns a PS3 and has been on Home.

"This is boring as fuck"

There. Now you have someone else's 2 cents. My point? It's ok to admit that PlayStation Home isn't as great as they constantly tried to pretend it was.

blue_thimble

May 29, 2010
AceDiamond said:
There. Now you have someone else's 2 cents. My point? It's ok to admit that PlayStation Home isn't as great as they constantly tried to pretend it was.
Just because you have a strong opinion, doesn't mean it is a valid one.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It's shit, i imagine most people know how to make it better. Unfortunately the Home devs don't seem to fall under "most people".

Generally what they've done is whored over graphics, and now everything takes a freaking year to load. I'd use the thing all the time if i didn't have to wait half an hour just to wonder around doing nothing.

Then to add insult to injury someone made the stupid decision to make in-game items cost real money. Like hell am i paying 5 quid for a new house on a crappy mmo thing that i never use.

If they want to charge people they should at least include some way of earning in-game money, first off giving something for people to do and aim for. Then they can layer premium items over that system, along with being able to buy in-game money.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I tried HOME twice. Once when it launched, then again shortly after I beat Uncharted 2. Neither time was all that memorable. And absolutely nothing is given to you in HOME. There is absolutely no way to make a decent avatar using the core assets of the game without spending at least $5. (And no, I didn't spend a dime there)

If it's going to survive they need to get a better set of starter gear to get people interested in the first place. Then they can try to gouge you for coin and assault you with ads somewhere down the line.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
blue_thimble said:
AceDiamond said:
Just because you have a strong opinion, doesn't mean it is a valid one.
I'm sorry but from where I sit, you're the one who showed up with the "strong but unvalid" opinion. Almost everyone who has posted, myself included, gave the service a legitimate try and did not find it an enjoyable one. If you do find it enjoyable then good for you. But barking about how folks are wrong because their opinion and yours differ is a difficult place to start a valid argument.

Try to understand that these are subjective opinions and everyone, yourself included, has a right to share their likes and dislikes regarding HOME or whatever the topic happens to be.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I used it once when I first got my PS3 and never returned. I just didn't see a point to it. It was kind of cool looking at movie trailers in the theatre but there was nothing to actually do. Plus the avatar is soo uber-realistic! All those options for modifying the nose and I can't have my own hairstyle. Home = fail.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
LightspeedJack said:
I used it once when I first got my PS3 and never returned. I just didn't see a point to it. It was kind of cool looking at movie trailers in the theatre but there was nothing to actually do. Plus the avatar is soo uber-realistic! All those options for modifying the nose and I can't have my own hairstyle. Home = fail.
My sentiments exactly.
Honestly, the best thing about it was standing around in the theater watching Pulse. Way quicker than downloading it. And the people there, just wow.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Making people pay real money for fake shit seems like the kinda thing to piss people off.
For the year I've had a PS3 I've only used Home 3 times, not my cup o' tea.

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
This seems to be similar to facebooks' "Yoville", which is also shit, but more popular. Girls/women seem to get into the home decoration side of it and buying clothes for their avatars, like a virtual dollhouse. Seeing how there a relativly few female console gamers, it doesn't surprise me that "home" is unpopular amongst the PS3 community.

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
To stumble upon this newstory, I have only this to conclude against the devs;

TheIr0nMike

Mar 3, 2008
I like it in that it's a good place to go if you want to take a break from playing a game but you want to still chat with people you're playing with.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
I only logged on to Home to play when Xi was running. That was good; they need to do another one, or something like that.

Now however, it's pretty dull; since I live in Australia, I'm forced onto the EU Home, meaning it's laggy as, burns through quota and no one seems to speak English.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't mind Home, I'd probably use it more if I used my PS3 more. What it needs is better marketing. You have to be a repeat user to know how frequently it updates and what kind of features are available. Problem is, if you don't know the new features are there you're not going to bother logging in to check them out. I logged in a few weeks ago to show some friends what it was like and frankly amazed by how much stuff is available now.

Too bad there's no way to unlock the really good stuff without paying.

For instance, I can buy in game items of clothing and furniture on the Loco Roco themed island by trading in berries or whatever, which I can also earn by gambling on races. Problem is, I start with a balance of zero. Where do I get my starting berries? Why, I can pick them up when they fall from the trees around my private Loco Roco tree house!

Which costs $8.00. :/

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
No.. no, it's not "sh*t". It's a well made... software.. thing. Sure is.

It's just f***ing pointless. That's the problem. I can sit in a room with a bunch of friends - we're waiting for someone to join, so we can play WipEout. But when they join - we all have to quit home, and have no way of actually opening a lobby with the players present in the room, etc., etc. Not only that, there's no way to use that list of friends manually - you just have to remember the nicks, and hope the rest invite themselves (by reminding you that you have to invite first) if you forget.

So what Home is, is f*****ng pointless. Ok? B*****y f*******ng pointless. That's the problem. Not that it's sh*t. Because it's not. It's just lacking any sort of use beyond standing around looking fabulous.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
It's a bit like the introduction of avatars to the 360, fun for a while but ultimately pointless.