PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is Sh*t"

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
53 minutes of average use is an easy statistic to explain... downloading assets takes 10 minutes every goddamn time you hit a loading screen. You hear about something new on Home, you decide that even though it'll probably suck you should give them ANOTHER chance, you take 10 minutes to download the assets, you go to the right room, load some more, check out the new content. It entertains you for ten minutes, you get bored, you turn it off. That was 40 minutes and I didn't DO anything. Travel and load times were 70% of it.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I don't understand how someone can come up with such a strong term for something that's free and voluntary.

Last I checked, "shit" was only free...

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
If they would add more stuff to do in it then it would be good. Also add more free content in with the paid. The only time I use it is when I unlock rewards by playing certain games like the Bat cave in Home I unlocked for playing AA or the GAC armour I got for playing Dead to Rights. Other than that I just use it when I'm really bored.

metaldemonj

Oct 26, 2009
My issue with Home is, what is Home actually for? I don't understand its purpose. Is it a 5 gigabyte chatroom? Is it a billboard service? Am I supposed to sign in so that I can make an avatar wear costumes from some recently released movie game some company is selling? If I'm on my game console, there's a good chance I want to uh, play games. Please, someone just tell me what Home is supposed to DO!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I wouldn't say Home is shit, because shit has actual consistency.

Home is more like musty fart.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I tried home and got really bored then never went on again.
The end.

Like really, what am I supposed to do here? Walk around and look at things? Wait in line? Sorry, I could just go for a walk in the woods or wait outside a bar IRL.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Regarding the last line, there is no such thing as "should" when it comes to personal entertainment. It either does or it doesn't. Plus, I think Home is moving into the uncanny valley range. Plus the name is like, really wierd. The name "Second Life" has cynical undertones which makes it ok. The LBP idea is a good one. Don't know why MMOs are having so much trouble finding thier place on consoles.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I tried it a few times, it was ok but got extremely boring after a day or so. Haven't been on it since.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
It's STILL in beta?! Damn. I haven't been on Home in ages, but I am fond of my Batcave.
I do love my batcave.

I haven't tinkered with it in ages. It was fun until I found out the lines to bowling are long.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
I tried it when i bought my ps3 and hadn't any games for it and when a bigger update came out.
It's fun for a short while, but nothing you'd play if you have commercial games on your shelve or a ps store account.

daskat

Nov 4, 2009
I think there are so many jokes someone could make about ps3 home. Besides that, whats the point?, i'm already at home and if i wanted to play with my freinds at home i just call them, my avatar looks like me... well its me and besides i already spend real money to make my home look like i wanted. I would buy that home idea if instead of home was named something like "awesone fortress of eternal ubbernes" or "the dark pit of forsaken doom" (joking), but the idea of sitting in front of a console watching my avatar sitting in a bland living room waiting to play some game just doent make it for me.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
I tried it. I won't ever touch it again. As far as I can tell everything I can do on there I can do on the internet (chatting, mini games etc) and as far as paying real money for any of the doodads and clothes? I'd rather light my money on fire or pay for DLC for actual GAMES. If I want to interact with people in a "life-like" way as Home seems to ape at, I'll actually go do that in real life. If I want to interact with people online it'll be something like this or something much more exciting like shooting them in a random FPS.

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
I like the idea of Home but, the execution leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. If the developers would add new content more often and would stop screwing the NA server out of all the coolest content. Due to some ass backwards deal, Home EU gets exclusive content based on recent movie releases like X-men origins: Wolverine, Star Trek(the J.J Abrams one) and Iron Man 2. So, Home EU player get Star Trek uniforms and Iron Man armor while NA players occasionally get a hat not based on anything. Fix those 2 things and Home would be a lot better.

Jul 22, 2009
Played it once at a friends house... I an see some appeal as i mainly sat there beating people at chess until they gave up. But nothing long lasting. I prefer my little xbox avatar.