PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is Sh*t"

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I know what happened!!!

They were going to get rid of home in a batch of updates, but someone at sony slipped and accidentally removed the "other OS" option instead!

It all makes sense now...

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Even PlayStation Home developers think that the service has a less than positive reputation.
I see they're not ones to rock the boat.

Tom Goldman said:
It must feel pretty strange when you work hard on something that you know most people think is a piece of garbage.
Really? I've posted here long enough that I'm numb to it.

Tom Goldman said:
"Most people think that Home is sh*t."
They say admitting it is the first step.

Tom Goldman said:
"I'm here to say that it's not."
Ah, see, now you've gone and lost me.

Tom Goldman said:
Ewing also said that Home is set to leave the open beta phase it's been in for at least the past year-and-a-half in December...
I understand the term 'open beta' is derived from Sysiphus' pet name for his hill.

Tom Goldman said:
...though what this exactly means for the service is unsure...
The continued scorn of an abusive, unforgiving, and attention-deficit target audience?

Tom Goldman said:
...and Sony has not confirmed the claim.
Sometimes, disowning your prodigal children is the best solution, Luke's gospel notwithstanding.

Tom Goldman said:
His message on Home not being "sh*t" could possibly be referring to it as a platform for profit, rather than fun.
In the sense that a cassowary is a somewhat more suitable means of delivering goods than it is a conduit of meaningful discourse, I can sort of believe that. I surrender the point to Ewing.

Tom Goldman said:
Waiting around in a virtual world to play a game of pool or to bowl wasn't exactly the type of experience I wrote home to mom about (my real home) when Home first launched.
You wrote to Momma about PlayStation Home? What, particularly, did she do to deserve that? Do you have a shameful middle name that you don't acknowledge?

Tom Goldman said:
However, decorating one's house and experiencing some of the exclusive mini-games and content on the service has been entertaining...
O RLY? <(o_O<)

Tom Goldman said:
...but still isn't enough to graft me to regular use personally.
(>O.O)p NO WAI!

Tom Goldman said:
They always seem to be adding interesting sounding content, though.
I think the phrase 'interesting sounding' is more cutting than anything I could append here.

Tom Goldman said:
Somebody must be into Home, as Ewing says that "one in three PlayStation 3 owners use Home" and "there are 1.7 million repeat users each using Home for around 53 minutes on average."
A famous man once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Apocryphally, he quickly related, "The first fifty-three minutes before soul-crushing boredom dawns on them is the easiest time to take their money."

Tom Goldman said:
I would think that anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the internet has tried Home at some point, explaining the first figure.
At Sony, they've dubbed this 'touching the stove.'

Tom Goldman said:
The second figure can only be explained by the addiction people seem to have to virtual dancing and harassment of female avatars.
The good news is that these people only account for about %20 of the Internet. The bad news is that another %60 are sockpuppets for that first %20.

Tom Goldman said:
Is Home sh*t like most people seem to think, or should it become a regular visit for more PS3 owners?
Funny you think those options are mutually exclusive.

(This is ALL IN JEST. Please forgive me.)

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
TheRocketeer said:
Tom Goldman said:
Even PlayStation Home developers think that the service has a less than positive reputation.
I see they're not ones to rock the boat.

Tom Goldman said:
It must feel pretty strange when you work hard on something that you know most people think is a piece of garbage.
Really? I've posted here long enough that I'm numb to it.

Tom Goldman said:
"Most people think that Home is sh*t."
They say admitting it is the first step.

Tom Goldman said:
"I'm here to say that it's not."
Ah, see, now you've gone and lost me.

Tom Goldman said:
Ewing also said that Home is set to leave the open beta phase it's been in for at least the past year-and-a-half in December...
I understand the term 'open beta' is derived from Sysiphus' pet name for his hill.

Tom Goldman said:
...though what this exactly means for the service is unsure...
The continued scorn of an abusive, unforgiving, and attention-deficit target audience?

Tom Goldman said:
...and Sony has not confirmed the claim.
Sometimes, disowning your prodigal children is the best solution, Luke's gospel notwithstanding.

Tom Goldman said:
His message on Home not being "sh*t" could possibly be referring to it as a platform for profit, rather than fun.
In the sense that a cassowary is a somewhat more suitable means of delivering goods than it is a conduit of meaningful discourse, I can sort of believe that. I surrender the point to Ewing.

Tom Goldman said:
Waiting around in a virtual world to play a game of pool or to bowl wasn't exactly the type of experience I wrote home to mom about (my real home) when Home first launched.
You wrote to Momma about PlayStation Home? What, particularly, did she do to deserve that? Do you have a shameful middle name that you don't acknowledge?

Tom Goldman said:
However, decorating one's house and experiencing some of the exclusive mini-games and content on the service has been entertaining...
O RLY? <(o_O<)

Tom Goldman said:
...but still isn't enough to graft me to regular use personally.
(>O.O)p NO WAI!

Tom Goldman said:
They always seem to be adding interesting sounding content, though.
I think the phrase 'interesting sounding' is more cutting than anything I could append here.

Tom Goldman said:
Somebody must be into Home, as Ewing says that "one in three PlayStation 3 owners use Home" and "there are 1.7 million repeat users each using Home for around 53 minutes on average."
A famous man once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Apocryphally, he quickly related, "The first fifty-three minutes before soul-crushing boredom dawns on them is the easiest time to take their money."

Tom Goldman said:
I would think that anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the internet has tried Home at some point, explaining the first figure.
At Sony, they've dubbed this 'touching the stove.'

Tom Goldman said:
The second figure can only be explained by the addiction people seem to have to virtual dancing and harassment of female avatars.
The good news is that these people only account for about %20 of the Internet. The bad news is that another %60 are sockpuppets for that first %20.

Tom Goldman said:
Is Home sh*t like most people seem to think, or should it become a regular visit for more PS3 owners?
Funny you think those options are mutually exclusive.

(This is ALL IN JEST. Please forgive me.)
I wish every reader would do this.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Thank you, sir.

I swear I've got nothing against the PS3. But I have never before seen an article so unabashedly bare every element of itself to scorn- aside from a few of my own.