PS3 "Jailbreak" Tool Proves So Popular It Sells Out

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
PS3 "Jailbreak" Tool Proves So Popular It Sells Out

Despite the fact that using it might get you banned from the PSN, a new PlayStation modding tool is so popular that its manufacturers can't keep up with demand.

Modding a console is getting to be an increasingly difficult feat, which is why many people are taking the easy way out and buying kits that do all the hard work for them. Case in point: "PS Jailbreak", a PlayStation mod that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102890-Rumor-Hackers-Crack-PS3-Copy-Protection>supposedly allows PS3 owners to copy games to a hard drive and play the backup without a disk, has proven so popular that it's now sold out.

The manufacturer of PS Jailbreak, Shoppsjailbreak, announced that it's run out of the devices to sell via the following statement on its site:

***NEWS UPDATE: We are sorry to say that we are currently not accepting sales online for the PS Jailbreak as we are currently out of stock.
We have been informed by ********** that our next shipment of PS Jailbreaks is going to arrive on Monday August 23rd 2010.
Until then, we are only accepting reservations so we can guarantee that we will put a PS Jailbreak aside for you as soon as they come in on Monday, you will then be contacted on Tuesday and asked to place your order online at ***********
In order to get a reservation simply email us at ********
ALL customers who send an email to that address are going to be contacted on Monday when we receive stock, and are GUARANTEED a PS Jailbreak.

Sony obviously doesn't look fondly on something that could clearly be used as a major tool for pirates, and there are claims that the company is <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261291>already banning gamers using PS Jailbreak. However, Sony's official stance on the matter is <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261316>to make no comment.

Source: <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=261414?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS>CVG

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Well, it's no more strange then CD-cracks really? And is that illegal? I don't know.

Anyway, not strange that Sony is banning them, all about priorities and moral.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Oh wow. I guess a they're having lots of fun doing this. So much money for a dongle.

Calumon: Dingle Dangle Dongle Tingle!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Make no comment, and go all smoke and aagger...wonder when they are actually going to open there mouths? I bet when they do its going to be like a stampede

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Oh, god. This thing is spreading. I said it before and I'll say it again. Who would pay over 100 bucks for a USB that allows you to play copied games?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Shycte said:
And is that illegal? I don't know.
In Sweden, yes.

I'm waiting for the piracy explosion on consoles. Through the PS1/2 era it was just something there in the background. But with publishers putting so much money and noise into console games it wouldn't surprise me to see it go the way of PC and hand helds, where pretty much every player will have had at least one pirate game pass through their collection.

Has to happen sooner or later. The obsessive reliance on DRM and firmware will no doubt make it happen faster, hackers like a challenge.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
According to the article, it can only ban you if you're connected to PSN while running the jailbreak.

Which is hilarious, as "disconnect from the internet" has been one of the standard unofficial steps of cracking software/hardware since before software even had "phone home" capabilities.

Also, this is a firmware hack, not a modchip.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Unhappy Crow said:
Oh, god. This thing is spreading. I said it before and I'll say it again. Who would pay over 100 bucks for a USB that allows you to play copied games?
I'm sure a lot of people would, a new game is what $60 (higher in some other countries). The cost is less than 2 games and it essentially means you get free games for that point on? If it was legal and you didn't care about game companies losing money (and I'm sure there are tons of people who don't care about either) you'd be a fool not to buy it.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
So, why don't Sony just sue the company? Especially since they haven't exactly hidden their name.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Rednog said:
Unhappy Crow said:
I'm sure a lot of people would, a new game is what $60 (higher in some other countries). The cost is less than 2 games and it essentially means you get free games for that point on? If it was legal and you didn't care about game companies losing money you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Except it is legal. Pretty much every country's copyright law allows for a single backup copy. Anyone asks, "oops, lost the original."
scnj said:
So, why don't Sony just sue the company? Especially since they haven't exactly hidden their name.
Same reason the producers of CD/DVD/bluray burners, BDRs, CDRs, and DVDRs weren't sued by the music and film industries.

They can't. Its technically legal enough to stand up in an american court.

Not to mention, the company likely isn't based in any country with strong copyright laws.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
hudsonzero said:
*noticing the picture*
warranty for a pirating tool?
Pretty common in console piracy. Some guys were actually selling pre-chipped xboxi, ps2s, cubes, and anything else for a while. About a $100 markup, but they actually supported their work.

Better than most console manufacturers ever did, that is.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Giving that Bluray's will soon become more common than the DVD Rom's due to their higher storage space and generally being better than DVD's I can say without a doubt that Sony's fight against piracy is officially coming to an end.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
VirusHunter said:
What I wanna know is what guy with a modded console is stupid enough to use it online?
Apparently the old owner of my 360, as it's been banned. (As I found out after purchase. Eh, saves me on MSFT points all the time xD )

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Dont people realize that pirazy only harms themselves.. developers get less money to make more games..

That also means that games will cost more to purchase..

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Anyone want to bet when will someone copy the content of the dongle and spread it on the Pirate Bay?

It's also looking increasingly genuine. While Sony does have some preventive measures (the cost of Blu-rays and burners), it may still have a problem on its hands.

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
But why would you want this if you:
A) Cannot use any game patches (and possibly DLC)
B) Want to avoid shady business. I assume if you are into pirating or hacking, you might go for something that is a bit risky. I mean, there is no notification that these people will be safe with your data. In addition, how good is this "warranty"?
C) Get console banned from online (unless you do some unplugging of cords and whatnot, but then the hassle isn't worth the fact you just avoided getting up and putting a new disk in)
D) Can probably get it for free. Right now, the drive isn't recognized in windows as a drive or device at all (though, I bet no one has even tried Linux).
E) Have games with files over 4GB. The device doesn't support file transfers over 4GB (so, if a file is over 4GB, you won't get it [because the hack only supports FAT32 drives])
F) As I mentioned in C, there really is not point other than for general piracy (and "faster" loading speeds). There is no convenience to it, as you'll have to get up and switch disks and do the turn on off thing and unplug and replug in the ethernet cable. Why do all that when you can just swap the disks?