PS3 or not to PS3? Why or why not to buy one.

majaman

Dec 12, 2009
I've been toying around with buying a ps3 finally sense the price is reasonable and I have a job now. I'm not a huge fan of sonny but I do really enjoy some of the exclusives I've played on ps2.

Someone help sonny make a sell here!

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Pros:

1.) It has a blu-ray player
2.) besides some content, online is free
3.)It has some pretty good exclusives
4.) More reliable

Cons

1.) If your console breaks, your fucked
2.) At least at the moment, a small list of cheaper games compared to the Xbox 360
3.)Its a piece of shit.

Yeah...I was kidding at the last Con! Honest! Its a pretty good system, but if you want a larger range of cheap games, I would go with a 360. If you have your eyes set more on hardware, your PS3 is your man...err...console.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Make up a list of all the games you're interested in, and see if you think those justify buying a PS3. That's the only way to really do it, I think.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
It's "Sony".

And yeah, get one. 'Cos I said so.
[sub]And they're actually very good - well worth the price. :D[/sub]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Pros: PS3 has the best commercials ever.

Just watch all of them and you'll definitely buy it!

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
OP did not actually state whether he had a 360 or other console yet. If he does, then I'd recommend picking up a PS3. If not, I don't know how well I'd recommend a PS3 as a first console/replacement for the previous generation. Current generation, I prefer what you can lay your hands on for 360, but the PS3 honestly isn't a bad buy. To be perfectly honest, the 360 and the Wii split the role of PS2 for this generation: affordable games/ primary programming and marketing targets. As such, multi-platform games can be better on PS3 but not as well debugged, or simply run worse inexplicably. There are a good number of exclusives worth playing, though, from what I hear.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Pros:

- Free online play
- Excellent exclusives
- Doesn't make that horrendous loud noise the Xbox 360 makes when it's on for too long
- The hardware failure rate is substantially lower than with the 360 (I can tell)
- No batteries needed for wireless controllers
- Blu ray

Cons:

- Some multiplatform games on PS3 aren't as polished as the 360 version

If you had to choose between the PS3 and the Xbox 360: go for the PS3.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
You can't play ps2 games on a ps3 (unless you mod it or buy an old second hand one).

I can see the ps3 surpassing the 360 soon so if your thinking of getting one go for it.

I can smell a flame war from that first post.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Pros:

1.) It has a blu-ray player
2.) besides some content, online is free
3.)It has some pretty good exclusives
4.) More reliable

Cons

1.) If your console breaks, your fucked
2.) At least at the moment, a small list of cheaper games compared to the Xbox 360

Yeah...I was kidding at the last Con! Honest! Its a pretty good system, but if you want a larger range of cheap games, I would go with a 360. If you have your eyes set more on hardware, your PS3 is your man...err...console.
Continuing from that list,
Pros:
5.) Hard drive is expandable using any 2.5inx9mm or 2.5inx11mm laptop internal harddrive. You can buy a 500GB laptop drive for $100, instead of a $200 120GB harddrive, and install it yourself without voiding your warranty. Instructions are actually in your PS3 owner's manual.

6.) PSN credits are tied to actual monetary values, not some moon money Microsoft points. $50US is $50US on PSN, unlike Microsoft's $50 = 4000 points/ $25 = 2000 points.

7.) Integrated wireless connectivity; no need to spend an additional $100US buying a dongle.

8.) Using the USB ports on your PS3, you can backup data to a USB flash drive or an external harddrive without any hardware cracking or workarounds.

Cons:
3.)System updates do take a bit longer than on the 360.

4.)Each individual developer/publisher is responsible for their own MP. There will be some
games that lag on PS3 and not on 360.

5.)It gets very hot. Hotter than the 360. Keep it well ventilated.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Vek said:
False. New PS3s use software-based emulation to run PS2 and PS1 games, exactly as the Xbox 360 uses software emulation to run Xbox games.
I don't exactly read up on them any more since I got mine when they came with backwards compatibility.

Last I heard was some guy messed around with one to make it backwards compatible.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
omega 616 said:
I don't exactly read up on them any more since I got mine when they came with backwards compatibility.

Last I heard was some guy messed around with one to make it backwards compatible.
Actually, I'm wrong. I forgot they removed software emulation from the Slims. I was thinking the 80s, and special edition 120s and 250s of the old fat models.

Nice catch. I'll edit my post.

1mpulse323

Apr 16, 2009
Vek said:
I don't know about that. I've had mine on for full nights, playing with friends (like, 6-7 hours), and it doesn't really get that hot.

Vek

Aug 18, 2008
1mpulse323 said:
Vek said:
I don't know about that. I've had mine on for full nights, playing with friends (like, 6-7 hours), and it doesn't really get that hot.
Well, do you have a fat or a Slim? I've got a 60GB fat, and I have friends who have 40 and 80GB fats. Very subjectively, the exhaust temp seems to be noticeably hotter on the fats than an Xbox 360.

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
PSN, I love being able to download old PSX games and then copying them to my PSP to play. They're not that expensive either. Plus the playstation store now lets you buy HD movies for 13GBP or rent for 3.99GBP I think, not a bad price. Games on the PS3 generally look better than on the xbox360, good examples of this are oblivion.

DazWolf

Jan 15, 2010
I have one of the old fat ones from forever ago, mainly for the reason that I wanted the backwards compatibility. It really is a personal choice though, as we're about to get a 360 now as well.

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
Depends on the games you liked on the PS2 really. PS3 had a slow start but is a good hardware choice now.

For action game exclusives I'd call it a draw between the PS3 and 360 right now overall, but if your just talkimg exclusives it looks like the PS3 really takes the gold right now. Halo+Gears of War+Mass Effect+Usually better versions of non-exclusivws vs Resistance+Uncharted+inFamous+God of War+Kill Zone+Metal Gear.

For little, original, interesting games 360 comes out ahead. PS3 has Echocrome, Flower, Fat Princes, and a few more, but 360 is way ahead there thanks to their head start with Live over PSN and the Indie game section. Some examples being Arkedo Jump, Arkedo Pixel, and Braid.

Also don't discount the Wii. When used well in games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil 4 the motion control can really breath new life into old genres.

And there's always the iPod Touch if you really like puzzle games and remakes of Point and Click adventures.

majaman

Dec 12, 2009
Well I didn't mention I have a Wii and a 360. =) There are just other things I could spend 300+ dollars on instead of a PS3. There are quite a few exclusives calling me in.