PS3 Owners Are Pissing Me Off

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
I need to state too things before I start:
1. I myself own a PS3
2. This is not meant to be a general rant, just my point of view on the current state of affairs

By now I am sure that everybody knows what is going on with Sony and the PSN. It's old news now, and hopefully Sony will have the PSN back up soon (hell it could be up now as far as I know...haven't bothered to check). I am not a Sony fanboy, and I would have an Xbox 360 instead if some of the PS3 Exclusive games didn't cater to me better than the 360 exclusives.

What I don't understand is this: I have heard within the past few weeks from a bunch of different people who own PS3, that they are trading in their PS3's and getting Xbox 360's because of the recent events going on with the PSN. I can't understand the reasoning behind this what so ever.

I could 'maybe' understand your decision if you reasoning was along the line of, "I've never been too big on Sony, and now they have given me a reason not to trust them." You know what, fine I will agree with that line of thought. However the reason this is just aggravating right now is because most of the arguments I continue to hear are, "Well I can't play online with the PSN down, so I'm getting a 360 where I'll be able to play my games online." <<<<<<<THIS LINE OF REASONING IS WHAT CONFUSES ME!!!!!!!!

Why is it you NEED to play video games online? There are SO many things you can do offline. I mean there are so many good new games you can play; Mortal Kombat (sorry Australians :( ), Portal 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, LittleBigPlanet2. Geeze, that is only naming some new releases. There is also older stuff like God of War (1-3), LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed (1/2), Heavy Rain, heck even devil May Cry 4 if it fits your fancy!

So you don't want to play those games single player. Fine, how about try something NEW? There are THOUSANDS of FREE video games you can download for the PC that are extremely fun!

tl;dr - Why are people getting rid of their PS3 for Xbox 360s when there is so much you can still do even with the PSN down?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Some people only play games because of online, it's just their lifestyle. I'll never understand it, but I don't question it.
Adam Gadal said:
I need to state too things before I start:
I think you mean "two".

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Its not a question of PSN down, its the matter of Sony's security was lax enough so that their information could be stolen. Trust is the problem, not PSN being down.

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
You talk about all these things you can do with a PS3 even with the network down, yet only cite two exclusive games that can be totally enjoyed offline.

The irony.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
EcksTeaSea said:
Its not a question of PSN down, its the matter of Sony's security was lax enough so that their information could be stolen. Trust is the problem, not PSN being down.
do you know for certain that there security was law enough for this to happen and not just the fact that the hacker was good. I'm not going to defend either side of this i just want the real truth which we may never get. there are 3 sides to every story!!

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I've been loyal to Sony since the original Playstation, so this PSN business hasn't really bothered me that much.
I can understand why people would be annoyed, but if they want to purchase XBox Live instead of being patient for Sony to fix the issues, then I won't stop them.
I find that a lot of the time people buy games purely for the multiplayer; my brother does it certainly. Where I do enjoy playing online or multiplayer with my friends, I like to follow a good storyline as well, plus on singleplayer you're not waiting in lobbies or to join servers or getting killed repeatedly by someone better than you.

Basically, yeah, I agree with OP. Hey, see that copy of Heavenly Sword that you got with your PS3 when you first got it? Play it, it's good.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
tony2077 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
do you know for certain that there security was law enough for this to happen and not just the fact that the hacker was good. I'm not going to defend either side of this i just want the real truth which we may never get. there are 3 sides to every story!!
Just saying, thats the problem. Information was stolen a huge scale and I wouldn't want to go back to a company that lost it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You forgot inFamous.

Anyway I dotnk now. I have faith in sony (always have) and I wouldnt be surprised that after this massive influx of people migrating a group of people do the same thing to live (which yes, CAN actually happen).

DanielPowell33

Jun 9, 2009
Everyone has different taste in video games. Maybe they don't like singleplayer games, or maybe they prefer playing with friends rather than playing alone.

I don't plan on selling my PS3. I enjoy online multiplayer, but I can live without it. I always have singlerplayer games and all my PS2 games to fall back on.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Some people have different opinions, and prefer online.
I am keeping my PS3 though.
Also your title is very misleading.

Adam Gadal

May 2, 2011
Miles Tormani said:
You talk about all these things you can do with a PS3 even with the network down, yet only cite two exclusive games that can be totally enjoyed offline.

The irony.
Here is the thing though, sure of what I mentioned there are only 2 PS3 exclusives, however are you going to spend the money to buy yourself an Xbox 360 and a 360 copy of all the games that are for both systems? If you have a PS3, and lets say 5 games, and you want to switch over to a 360 with the exact same 5 games, you're still going to have to spend at least $200+ because you are not going to get back 100% of the money you spent on everything for your PS3...

Which leads to another thing I don't understand. Where are the people that are doing this getting the money? Or are they just willing to throw more debt onto their credit cards for the convenience of being able to play multiplayer? It really doesn't make much practical sense imo
EcksTeaSea said:
tony2077 said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Just saying, thats the problem. Information was stolen a huge scale and I wouldn't want to go back to a company that lost it.
So are you saying if the same thing happened with Microsoft you would sell your PC and get a Mac and sell your Xbox 360 and get a PS3? Don't mean to be nitpicking, but if your answer to my question is no, then in truth your concern in invalid imo =\

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
what really confuses me is that if i want to play multiplayer now all i do is call a friend and do some split-screen.
has everyone forgot about split-screen multiplayer?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Some PS3 owners are pissing you off, always make that distinction.

It was my understanding that the vast majority of PS3 owners don't care about the online features that much anyway. The online buffs tend to gravitate towards the Xbox.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I agree with you. I thought you'd be trolling when I read the topic headline though.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Dude, my PS3 is my favorite console, and I don't give a fuck about multiplayer.

I do, however, like to browse the Playstation Store, buy games in it, and I have a few single-player games whose vouchers I can't redeem. None of that is enough to make me get rid of my PS3, though. I've had far worse experiences with my 3 (!!!) X-Box 360's (because they kept busting up) and my neglected Wii.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
I can understand both the OP and those against who he/she is talking. I'm personally not that bothered by the PSN being down (I admit that this all happening right after the university year ended was a bit annoying, though) and I'm happy to wait for it to come back. However, some people are either a) impatient or b) have lost faith in Sony's protection. I can understand your frustration at those people but can understand their reasons as well.
All in all, it doesn't bother me. My friends are staying loyal to Sony and their PS3s so I'm not affected all that much by the people swtiching camps.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Not gonna swap in mine.
Still, while i don't think i've bought stuff from PSN before (i like having the boxes) I'd be very very sceptic about putting in my credit card info on my PS3.

As for the loss of online... Meh, i play all my online games on my PC anyways, so i can still play online, and all my PS3 games are single player games.

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Adam Gadal said:
Here is the thing though, sure of what I mentioned there are only 2 PS3 exclusives, however are you going to spend the money to buy yourself an Xbox 360 and a 360 copy of all the games that are for both systems? If you have a PS3, and lets say 5 games, and you want to switch over to a 360 with the exact same 5 games, you're still going to have to spend at least $200+ because you are not going to get back 100% of the money you spent on everything for your PS3...

Which leads to another thing I don't understand. Where are the people that are doing this getting the money? Or are they just willing to throw more debt onto their credit cards for the convenience of being able to play multiplayer? It really doesn't make much practical sense imo
What I'm saying is that if the issue is online play, and most of your games are online compatible and/or multiplatform, there is not much loss to switching systems to continue to enjoy those games, aside from the money issue. Sure, you may not get most of your money back in the switch, but for someone who wants a reliable network that has proven itself to be more secure over the years, that's a small price to pay.

As for where they're getting the money, it's from working a job. It's not like everyone is given a set amount of money as soon as they gain buying power, and can never have more or less of that cash. I made a similar switch from Xbox to PS3 myself (my Xbox broke three times), and that's where I got the money. A job. Sure, I later got another Xbox and took better care of it, but the switch to PS3 was still somewhat worth it, because I never would've played some of the better exclusives on the PS3 if I hadn't.

That said, money is one of the big reasons a lot of people are making that switch. Information has been compromised on the Playstation Network. That information may potentially include your debit/credit card information, so keeping your trust in Sony may in fact cost you more than reissuing your card and getting the competing system. After all, there's no telling whether the hackers will immediately resume their attacks on PSN as soon as it's back up.

Also, your original post reeks of hypocrisy. You tell people not to switch from PS3 to Xbox, but if they're mad about not being able to play online, they should download games on their PC. As if everyone in the world has a PC powerful enough to match or exceed either system...

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"Why is it you NEED to play video games online?"

They don't need to, they want to, and if they got the PS3 in order to do this, it seems reasonable that they would switch to a more reliable system.

Nobody NEEDS to play video games, OP, why don't you try something new and learn piano or something?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
PSN being down hasnt effected me at all even tho I own a 360 as well I dont play multiplayer it bores the shit outa me Gimmie singleplayer games.

As for the whole hack it duesnt bother me really unless you mean the hackers then i must take out my swords and such so I may unleash wrath