PS3 owners- What are the benefits of a PS3?

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
just to add 2 things that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. You can load data from your pc to ps3 easily via USB-stick (like files edited on the pc - was a reason for me because of pro evo soccer...
to get edited faces,teams,players etc.- obviously not too much people actually need that)
-and as mentioned you can upgrade the HDD pretty easily

2. in terms of exclusives i have to add: TEAM ICO!!!!!
"The last Guardian" is yet to come...and if you haven't owned a ps2(or those games) i highly recommend "ICO" and "Shadow of the Colossus"...both are coming out in a new HD-version on ps3.
Just very unique and great Games telling good Stories mostly through Gameplay

oh, and regarding the ps3-controller: Digi-Pad really is way better than 360-controller (important for beat'em up's f.e.)
..though i consider the triggers on 360-pad more comfortable to use (some people tend to slip off the ps3-ones)
but that can be solved with certain trigger-attachements...most of my friends prefer playing with those attached -like the ones from "Hama" (only about 2-3euro on amazon)

But the basic question if you actually want a gaming console anymore (even having sold your 360) hardly can be answered through any console-benefits/downsides
But I'm 29 and still enjoy gaming (although i spend considerably less time on it than i used to, of course)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
weker said:
Yep thats about it lets leave the thread as it is XD
OT: yer their good for, films, free online, exclusives (if you like um as I don't personally) and thats all i can think of atm

soulsabr said:
but it won't be long till M$ suffers something similar and that you can count on.
Don't mean to start a flame war but I think Microsoft will manage it much better then sony did even if they did get hacked :p
They did get hacked. Their handling of it was that we heard very little about it and didn't care when we did.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
I've been thinking of selling my 360 to buy a PS3 as well. I just can't really stand Microsoft anymore. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I realized that you should not have to pay for what others get for free. Also PS3 exclusives make me want one right now.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Well, I don't have an Xbox 360 (Never had an Xbox either, sorry Xbox fans!), but I will try to speak from an unbiased perspective (Keyword: Try). The PS3 has a great online, with stuff like Demon's Souls accentuating a new type of online play, as well as stuff like being able to connect your PSP (If you own one) to it. The Blu-Ray means less discs and Blu-Ray DVD's, but again as others have said, the PS3 online community sucks in terms of communication. There's not much talking going on in the games. I've played about 50 games on BF:BC2, and won some of them without communication. PS3 fills the niche of a more-lonely gamer, whereas Xbox 360 is more of a party (Read: Played With friends) console. Plus, PS3 has Noby Noby Boy, which is always a plus.

In terms of whether or not to buy it, research it first, and then decide based on what your friends have. From what I've heard, Xbox 360 has some good exclusivity timed deals going, so they get DLC and games sooner than PS3. It's a matter of taste, and we're not going to hold guns to your head forcing you to get one console or another. If you have some extra scratch kicking around, go for it!

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Well, imagine an X-Box 360, but from the get go, the wifi and controller with rechargeable batteries was with it. lol

Microsoft finally built Wi-fi in. Not sure about the controllers though.

Anyways, here's what a PS3 is.

Essentialy out of exclusives, they all have the sames games. Just smaller black cases.

And the game discs are on Blu-Ray, so things like FFXIII only takes one disc, not 3.

Its internet is free unless you want to upgrade to Plus.

Meaning you can play any game online for free or get Netflix and only have to pay for Netflix, not for a subscription to the consoles online.

It works well with the PSP

And I'm not sure about newer XBOX screens, but the PS3 lets you see the full picture background you choose with the buttons on it, not like 360 where it covers the bottom up.

It does play Blu-ray and DVD, wich lets you choose what you want.

I've found the PS3's DVD playing function more to my liking then the 360's.

I also preffere how it shows planets and stuff when you listen to music rather then a little block with swirly lines.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TelHybrid said:
Zetion said:
I think Microsoft should have embraced shipping their games on an HDDVD. At least then games wouldn't have to come on 2 or more discs.
That would be a very bad idea. That would be a proprietary format which would cost a lot to make, mostly due to it being a dead format. Blu-Ray discs are cheap now because they're produced in bulk as a movie format. Not to mention that would mean a required add-on for 360, and I don't think I need to say much more than 32X to put my point across.
Proprietary formats aren't that bad, the Gamecube survived on an obscure variant of the Mini-DVD format and for the first few years it was in fact unpiratable and really the only way to easily play gamecube games without paying for them was with PC emulators, many years later.

All of Nintendo's game consoles have used proprietary cartridges (though the price of 3DS games may mean this is coming back to bite them in the ass).

And the Wii-U is using a proprietary high-capacity optical disc, of 25GB capacity. There are actually a lot of competitors and variants to the blu-ray, it's just none are commercial like blu-ray.

The thing is optical discs of all varieties have always been very cheap to print on almost all scales of production. YOU most likely have an optical disc printer if you have a PC from the past 8 years, one with an optical DVD writer drive.

The main expense with optical media is not manufacturing, it is READING. The lasers to read the discs are expensive to make and have huge development costs and valuable patent royalties, that is why PS3 was so expensive at launch even with a huge loss per console. Microsoft was wise to stick with DVD and keep the HDDVD separate.

PSP could have been SO much cheaper if it had ditched the UMD much much sooner and gone 100% into the game downloading business. It makes sense, on the go you can't carry multiple ANYTHING, especially multiples UMDs, but you could install multiple games of various sizes to one micro-SD card.
problems with optical:
-moving parts = breakage + high quality control problems
-uses a lot more electricity than SD-card/hard drive
-size

Consider the Apple TV: tiny little box but it has extraordinary latent potential as to spite lacking any disc drive it has all the graphical prowess of the iPad:

all it needs is a controller and a games store and it can compete with the sluggers like 360 and PS3, or at least the Wii.

Next gen Apple TV, that's something to look out for

Brodie Jenkins

Jul 6, 2011
Less screaming kids on mics (from my experience at least) Don't have to pay a monthly fee, doesn't choke and die anywhere near as often

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
games. for me it's exclusives, mostly j-RPGs (NISa stuff and some others) i have xbox 360 but i rarely play it these days, when Forza 4 and other exclusives will come out i will play it but consider PS3 my main system.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Games with more complexity than run around like a chicken cut your head off and shoot that guy over there.

Like Metal Gear Solid 4 and it's included MGO. In MGO, you have to think FUCKING TACTICALLY FOR FIVE FUCKING SECONDS AND TAKES A SHIT LOAD OF SKILL!

Also as stated earlier, less kids screaming at you and trying to convince you that they are 18.

Also I like the JRPG's. Ones I usually wouldn't like are brilliant on the PS3. Example: Records of Agarest War Zero. Yes, it's on the 360 too, but I probably wouldn't like it on it.

I do have both systems and like them equally. I just like my PC MORE.

johnboy424

Apr 25, 2011
The PS3's exclusives are more and much better than the XBox's IMO, but that's mostly a matter of opinion. Also, you don't have to pay for internet, but depending on the game the quality of online isn't always great. It's not that noticeable, but when you're considering the fact that it's free it's easily forgivable. Also, I personally really like the dualshock controller, but that may be just due to the fact that I've been using it since the days of the PS1.

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
Well the decision to go PS3 personally was because at the time of purchase the exclusives (Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet) appealed to me more than the Microsoft ones (Halo and... ... ... well... ... erm... ... Halo) did. (Gears of War, although I already had that for PC). The blu-ray is nice and also means on those bigger games the need for disk swapping is eliminated. (Did I hear right; 3 disks for LA noir. Golly I can see that getting annoying.)

Chuck in free online and I was sold.

I do like XBOX but my finances demanded I chose one or the other I haven't for a day regret my decision.

Donbett1974

Jan 28, 2009
Every year I hear it will be the year of PS3 (has yet to happen)and it will only happen when Nintendo and Microsoft have move on to a new system.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
PS3 came onto the scene at a great disadvantage. 360 had been out longer, had more titles, was cheaper, etc. However, PS3, like PS2, is an investment. At least it was, now the investment has already paid off in many ways, and you lucky sir or madam can reap the benefits of that investment without having to have invested early.

The benefits of the PS3 is that while it was expensive, it was for a reason. It got a metric *#$% ton of power. The link below shows you exactly what can be done with this system.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109564-PS3-Supercomputer-Opened-to-University-Reseachers

While 360 has exclusives, some publishers are finding they need to have their titles put on Playstation 3 since it is the system best capable of rendering the game. Graphically heavy games like Heavy Rain are best suited to PS3 hardware.

Basically, if you know what you are doing, you can do a lot more with a PS3.

Not to mention online play is free, the controller is way more simple and intuitive to use, and comes with a Blu-ray player. I love my PS3.

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting an xbox too . . but it'd be entirely for Halo games. Can't imagine wanting to play much else on that system.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
OK, I used to sell these things, here is the breakdown.

Online: PS3 is free, 360 is not. The 360 service is better and worth paying for, but the PS3 one will do the job and you can play games online with it.

Online community: They're both full of idiots. If you stick it out long enough on either you will find plenty of non-idiots to play with.

Backwards compatibility: They both have it, the 360 is better at it unless you have one of the very first PS3s. It's also a non issue - people like this stuff when they buy it but then very rarely play their old games anyway minus one or two old favourites. About the only game I still put in the drive from my original xbox is Street Fighter Anniversary Edition... which is about to be shelved permanently with the release of Third Strike: OA next week.

Networking: Wireless is built in for both now. Previously the 360 was not, but it was also always much cheaper then the PS3 so wasn't a big deal you could just buy the add on.

Exclusive titles: They both have them, some are good some are terrible. If you love a particular series thats console exclusive this will matter, otherwise it doesn't really.

Controllers: Matter of personal preference. Personally I find the 360 controller to be my favourite, others like the PS3 ones.

Media: The PS3 wins hands down for media playing. However they both suck at it when compared to actual solutions. Seriously. Get a WDTVLive or a Boxee player - games consoles are for games.

And honestly, none of it matters. End of the day they're both good systems. I personally prefer the 360 - it suits me better and I consider it a superior system for my needs. However the PS3 is just as good in as many ways for other people.

Mostly what makes the difference is what your friends play and what you've always owned. My friends and I always had xboxs and thus have 360s.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Benefits? It's a PS3. Do you want to play PS3 games? Then it's going to satisfy you.

But you're looking for an ulterior reason to justify the purchase? Well their isn't one, since you own a PC. There was a time it was a cheap Blu-Ray player, but now you can get a Blu-Ray player for less, if you really need Blu-Ray: even with my PS3 I still buy DVD's.

The above detailed reviews, while I suppose with the best of intent, and, to the completely alienated from tech news, helpful, are unnecessary reads. The online play is fine, for most games it's seamless, and the community are like every online community in the world on every platform, which is to say, erratic and game specific.

I can't imagine what else there is to sell to you though. Yes, it does more than just play games, but your coming to us from a PC are you not? Well then, you probably don't need a PS3 for those things, unless your PC is depressingly old and decrepit.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Baresark said:
LoL, I see a lot of comments about blu-ray, but the fact is, if you want you can get it for about $75 at Walmart. $300 blu-ray is just a bad idea.
300$ for a bluray that plays games is not.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Donbett1974 said:
Every year I hear it will be the year of PS3 (has yet to happen)and it will only happen when Nintendo and Microsoft have move on to a new system.
What do you expect that year to look like? 2008 - 2010 were all good years for releases. My favourite was 2009, but they all had great releases, and were not lamented years by any gamer.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
Wireless out of box, because of the new price cut it costs less than a 360 unless you're going to get the 4 GB 360, internet searching, better community(I think this is only because you don't get a mic with your PS3), better single-player exclusives (in my opinion), online is free, and is a Blu-Ray player. I still prefer the 360, but the PS3 is WELL worth the money now that it costs less than a 360 with the same hard drive.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Vibhor said:
Baresark said:
LoL, I see a lot of comments about blu-ray, but the fact is, if you want you can get it for about $75 at Walmart. $300 blu-ray is just a bad idea.
300$ for a bluray that plays games is not.
I don't disagree, but it's still only worth getting if there are exclusive games you want.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
my first console and It was great

good exclusives, and blu ray

I dont know what online is like

but anyway the consoles are similar anyway