PS3 Slim "Does Everything," Says Ads

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PS3 Slim "Does Everything," Says Ads

I may like to give Sony's marketing department a hard time, but every now and then they create a winner - like the following ad campaign to promote the new PS3 Slim in North America.

[viddler=f147d319]

[viddler=cb99617f]

I really would like to know what's going on with Sony's marketers. On the one hand, they seem to have an occasional fondness for being awkward and forced - see slightly creepy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93614-Sony-Reminds-Us-OMG-Girls-Sorry-Girlz-Play-Games-Too], either.

But you know what? Credit where credit is due: Outside of the aforementioned "Play Face" commercials in Japan, Sony's ad campaign for the PS3 Slim seems to be straightforward and sensible [http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2009/aug/24/sony-playstation-3-ad]. The two new advertisements set to promote the PS3 Slim in North America are ... actually funny, even? They get across the selling points of the hardware, promote (absurdly so) the new lower price, and might even induce a snicker. And most importantly, they make sense - not a single David Lynch in sight. Bravo, guys. Bravo.

Some might point to this as a sign of the impending apocalypse; I just choose to believe that the chemical facility upriver from the reservoir that supplies water to Sony's marketing department was forced to relocate elsewhere.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Does it play PS2 games? No? Then it doesn't do everything. Sheesh.

Should've been "PS3: It Only Does Everything*"

*as long as everything is limited to Blu-Ray movies and games, Wireless Internet, text chatting, and being a "movie downloading machine"

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
HA! Sony's American team did a hell of a lot better with there ad than the ones in Japan, I like the Japanese gamer face ads but this is just awesome. It doesn't make me want a PS3 but hey cool ad.
And Home sucks! I think if they left that part out of their ad I would have loved the first one.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Those were fantastic. On par with Compare the Meerkat in excellence.

Sadly for every genuinely funny advert, there's hundreds, if not thousands, of terrible, forced, badly-lipsynched atrocities.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Come onnnnnnnnn!

I enjoyed those, which is more than I can say for most of their ads.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Can't believe the man who wrote this article forgot about one of the creepiest PS3 commercials ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hehehe.

Blu-ray playing, movie downloading device...

So, wasn't a console supposed to, like, PLAY GAMES? No? Oh, sorry, my bad.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
Good ads, but Sony is still as arrogant as ever. It can't do everything. It's silly to use that as it's main pitch, too.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It does a lot, sadly not everything. PS2 games? Nope. Communication with other consoles? Nope. Help me rule the universe? ...Depends...

But the ads were funny, especially the second one. Not that I need an ad mind you, I already ordered mine! *hums* 4 More days, 4 more days!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Seems like the Sony marketing department were put back on their meds. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

kronoset

Jan 1, 2009
Can it touch me in ways I've never been touched before? Can it give birth to more PS3s? Can it get rid of the Blu-Ray player so that I don't have to pay 299 for it?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I have to admit. That isn't as obnoxious as I expected.
Then again I was expecting "all I want for xmas is a ps3" phony viral crap.

It might not do Everything but at least they aren't saying it's going to replace your pc.

Maybe they finally took my advice and executed their marketing team. Now all they have to do is gag the execs so they stop saying stupid shit.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
CapnJack said:
Can't believe the man who wrote this article forgot about one of the creepiest PS3 commercials ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU
yeah that baby commercial was pretty creepy

as for these commercials they are pretty darn funny and frankly they are poking a bit of fun at themselves with the first commercial and them denying the whole price drop thing for a while