PS3 Slim Install Times Shorter Than PS3 Fat's

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Hey hey on the title, have some manners. It's not fat, it's just... Big boned?

I own one of 'em fatties, but I might consider buying the new one, just for the fuck of it.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I wonder why it is faster, since it is obviously not hard drive speed, as you guys showed. Maybe a faster BluRay drive? since the phat PS3 has what? a 1x or 2x drive? Not exactly speedy.
But I wasn't really bugged by install times anyway, since I play a lot of PC games, I'm used to it.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Why does everone hate instalising, I dont really mind it, its not like that 18 minutes coulsnt be used to be on the escapist, I just let the thing install while I surf the web and listen to music.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Cryo84R said:
Something I always wondered is why I need to install downloaded demos on the PS3 but not the exact same demo on the 360.
Ditto.

Maybe, they figure, ya know... You want that demo, just to save it. And send it to a friend. Or stare at the install package. DEFINITELY not because you want to play it.

Honestly, it might be that the installer is smaller than the install (compression, whatnot), and they're trying to be flexible so that you can keep lots of demos local, then install them one at a time. Then delete it and start the next. Better storage management?

I still find it annoying. Kind of like the 20 gazillion button clicks and "No, really, I want to..." prompts to get something to download in the background. Another case where, maybe, they think you're going to say, "Actually, I WOULD like to sit here and stare at the download progress instead of continuing to browse the store. How thoughtful of you!"

EDIT: Why is anyone defending installs, as if they were a bonus? Yes, I realize there are benefits to the installs. No, 20 minutes is not the end of the world. But in an ideal case, they wouldn't be there at all, and the in game load times wouldn't suffer, because Sony decided to use a mature optical technology that had actually surpassed the bandwidth of the older, less-capacious optical medium (meaning, had they waited for 4X BD drives to be available for their purposes, instead of using something that has barely more bandwidth than a 6X DVD drive). Instead, we got bleeding-edge tech, and for all its wonderful aspects, installs to make up for its shoddy bandwidth are not good things. They're annoyances. Why is it such a bad thing to complain about annoyances?

By reacting to every complaint (even from fellow owners) as if they were a raging fanboy from the other side latching onto all your precious console's faults and trying to prove that the other was better, you yourself turn into nothing other than a blathering fanboy. Why can't owners have nitpicks? I paid for the **** thing, I feel we've earned some right to critique it. This is not a war; we are not "providing the other side ammunition". The only way to win this stupid game is not to play.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:
damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

at least mine looks better! screw you all you slim people, im fat!
Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one of the ridiculously priced 60GB ones. Now Sony's got a 120GB, slim, fast-installing PS3 out at HALF the price.

Then I remember mine has full backwards compatibility, and realize it was all worth it. :)

As for install times, oh well, I just go do something else.
damn even ur 1 up on me, i dont even get backwards compatability ;)

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
By reacting to every complaint (even from fellow owners) as if they were a raging fanboy from the other side latching onto all your precious console's faults and trying to prove that the other was better, you yourself turn into nothing other than a blathering fanboy. Why can't owners have nitpicks? I paid for the **** thing, I feel we've earned some right to critique it. This is not a war; we are not "providing the other side ammunition". The only way to win this stupid game is not to play.
I wonder if saying "Like marriage?" to that in indirect speech makes it any less weird.

My older, larger and less attractive PS3 is jealous of the younger, prettier model with a memory that hasn't been ruined by menopause. :(
(Edit: Actually, what the hell am I talking about. I obviously didn't get enough sleep yesterday. My PS3 is way prettier than that young twit.)

also, Sanskrit plz. <3 Or Bengali is pretty too.

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Angron said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:
damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one of the ridiculously priced 60GB ones. Now Sony's got a 120GB, slim, fast-installing PS3 out at HALF the price.

Then I remember mine has full backwards compatibility, and realize it was all worth it. :)

Wait, AT ALL? I'm pretty sure the fat 80GB gets SOME because of software updates or something. Sony has a site you can go to to check which games work with which model PS3.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I heard it was the other way around.

You can never really trust the internets...

Anyway, I don't really care about my load times, hell, it gives me time to warm my waffles

hansari

May 31, 2009
scotth266 said:
I never really understood the fervor over the install times specifically: the people complaining about it must never have owned a computer or something. If the installs don't DO anything though, that would be something to be a little irked about.
Installation makes some games load faster, but that isn't always a good thing.

I remember when I use to have dial-up internet. It was slow, but I managed. Then I got Comcast cable. I became comfortable with it, but now when I sit in front of a computer with dial-up, I feel as if its utterly unbearable.

A few weeks ago, me and a few friends were taking turns playing Street Fighter IV on the Xbox 360. The guy I played with though was so use to ps3 installations that he found the 360 load times unbearable....even though the fights took maybe just 7-15 seconds to load...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
harhol said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.
Really as someone who has a BC PS3 you don't want it, especially if you have a HDTV.
See since the majority of PS2 games were made to fit SDTV's the PS3 won't fit it to your screen
Change the settings on your TV.
I did and:
A.) That can cause burn in faster.
B.) Didn't really help there were sill some black bars.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I guess this sounds like a good buying point for it. Saving space helps as well.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:

Wait, AT ALL? I'm pretty sure the fat 80GB gets SOME because of software updates or something. Sony has a site you can go to to check which games work with which model PS3.

well yeh, it has the PS1 compatability, not the PS2...but i dont own that many PS1 games i want to replay :p

im not bothered about it anyway, I still have my PS2 out :p

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Angron said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
Angron said:

well yeh, it has the PS1 compatability, not the PS2...but i dont own that many PS1 games i want to replay :p

im not bothered about it anyway, I still have my PS2 out :p
Oh, well in that case you're set. I mean, certain PS2 games play on the PS3 (according to the website anyway) because they did something to the software. But since you've got a PS2, you're set. You're not missing anything by not playing PS2 games on a PS3.

EDIT: Oh cool, 300th post!

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
MK Tha Rebel said:
I mean, certain PS2 games play on the PS3 (according to the website anyway) because they did something to the software.
I think you're misunderstanding your source, or your source is lying. Certain PS3s have full BC (full PS2 hardware), certain PS3s have partial BC (half software and half hardware), and certain PS3s (like mine), have no BC at all (no software, no hardware for BC).

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Geoffrey42 said:
MK Tha Rebel said:
I mean, certain PS2 games play on the PS3 (according to the website anyway) because they did something to the software.
I think you're misunderstanding your source, or your source is lying. Certain PS3s have full BC (full PS2 hardware), certain PS3s have partial BC (half software and half hardware), and certain PS3s (like mine), have no BC at all (no software, no hardware for BC).
I'm just going by Sony's website. You pick which model PS3 you have and type in the name of the game, and it tells you if it works or not, and what software update had what issues. I don't know of every model PS3, and the site has only 2 options: the 80GB, and the 20GB/60GB. I brought it up because I had no idea what model he had. So I guess if you don't have either of those models, then you're screwed.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
harhol said:
If your TV is relatively recent there should be an option to "display all pixels" (or something similar), which resizes the image to fit the whole screen. And PS2 games don't cause burn-in, don't be ridiculous.
I don't think you understand the concept of Burn in. If a suspended image is left on a screen for a good 2 hours straight it will cause the pixels to start burning out. With my TV I get black bars on the side that will (according to le manuel) cause burn in. Some PS2 games if played on a PS3 will NOT fill in the entire screen.
Don't be ridiculous.