PS3 Slim Install Times Shorter Than PS3 Fat's

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PS3 Slim Install Times Shorter Than PS3 Fat's

Not only is the PS3 Slim smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the PS3 "Phat," it's also a bit quicker - installing games 20% faster than its bigger brother.

the notorious Devil May Cry 4 installation [http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/digitalfoundry-ps3-slim-vs-ps3-fat-devil-may-cry-4-installation]. The PS3 Slim turns a better time, finishing three minutes before its elder brother. Granted, three minutes shorter still results in an eighteen-minute install time, but shorter is shorter, no?

The installs required by some PS3 games are one of the more frequent complaints levied at Sony's consoles, since the idea of an "installation" tends to be what puts many console gamers away from running games on the PC - with a console, they think, it should just be pick up, put in, and play.

While these complaints are still valid - this is just a reduction, not an elimination - it's nice to see Sony moving to address them. So the PS3 Slim is cheaper, smaller, and quicker - what's not to love? Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/02/ps3-slim-vs-ps3-fat-install-slim-wins/])

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Well it's good that the slim is addressing this issue. I believe that one of the install times for MGS4 (1st install) was worse than DMC4 but I could be wrong.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.
Really as someone who has a BC PS3 you don't want it, especially if you have a HDTV.
See since the majority of PS2 games were made to fit SDTV's the PS3 won't fit it to your screen (which can cause burn in mind you). Also on some games the sound quality is worse than on a PS2.
For example I was playing RE4 on my PS3 for a bit and the sound was jumpy and... I'm not sure how to describe it. You know when the sound just blasts out a kinda static noise? That's the sound it made.

So all in all, if Sony addresses these issues with BC on the PS3 then you're demand will seem right to me, but since these flaws are so (to me) irritating I don't see why people want BC.

Side note: Really? Bitches love Sanskrit?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I would comment, but that "Bitches love Sanskirt" has me in stiches.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
We showed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show/861-Episode-40-Putting-a-SSD-in-a-PS3] that the disk speed didn't seem to make a difference with install times, so it seems that they changed something in the OS or their API to speed up the install process.

But if it was as easy as software, then you'd think it would be patched into the older PS3s. Oddly limited disk bus speed maybe?

Edit: Faster Blu-Ray read speeds?

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
I'm buying a PS3 in a month and couldnt really decide which one to buy but this article convinced me to get a slim one

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good job on trimming the last panel, because otherwise... well, you know what would have happened.

Anyway, good news for PS3 owners.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
scotth266 said:
Good job on trimming the last panel, because otherwise... well, you know what would have happened.

It would have been too small to be readable :p

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
scotth266 said:

That would have been savage. Funny strip though, I still don't think they're the best, but I at least consider them to be good now.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
scotth266 said:

It would have been too small to be readable :p
Damn, that's a 20 on a stealth check! Nice save Funk :p

I never really understood the fervor over the install times specifically: the people complaining about it must never have owned a computer or something. If the installs don't DO anything though, that would be something to be a little irked about.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
yeah i've always wondered why people complain about a one time install, it's not as if you have to do it every time you want to play, only the first time you insert the game. you only do it more if you delete the info off your hard drive

still it's cool they sped up the install times

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

at least mine looks better! screw you all you slim people, im fat!

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
hey i use the load time to read the games manual , grab a snack and hit the head b4 i sit and play so the load time is a non issue

Apr 28, 2008
I guess being primarily a PC gamer I don't really see the problem with installs.

Does it really matter? All you have to do is put in the disk, hit "X", it installs, then you play. Its not rocket science, and only a small wait.

They could watch TV or something...

MK Tha Rebel

Jun 12, 2009
Angron said:
damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

at least mine looks better! screw you all you slim people, im fat!
Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one of the ridiculously priced 60GB ones. Now Sony's got a 120GB, slim, fast-installing PS3 out at HALF the price.

Then I remember mine has full backwards compatibility, and realize it was all worth it. :)

As for install times, oh well, I just go do something else.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I don't really care about loading times, I just leave the game to install and go get food or something for 10min and its normally done.

On backwards compatibility and the HDD: I have the original 60gb with backwards compatibility and I've put in a 200gb HDD into it. So I wont be getting a Slim then :)

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Something I always wondered is why I need to install downloaded demos on the PS3 but not the exact same demo on the 360.