PS3 Slim Sells One Million

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PS3 Slim Sells One Million

It looks like the redesigned PS3 - and its lower price point - has been a hit with consumers, as Sony announced that the company had sold one million PS3 Slim units in just three weeks.

Not much to say here: Sony's internal estimates say that there are one million more PS3s in living rooms than there were when the PS3 Slim launched on September 1st. That's some very good news for the beleaguered electronics giant, further indicating that the Slim may have been exactly what Sony needed to get back in the game. This news isn't exactly unexpected, however, seeing as how we had already seen drops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94607-SCEA-PS3-Slim-Boosts-Hardware-Sales-300] aside).

This of course begs the question: Is this the appeal of the Slim, or the appeal of the $299 price tag? While it's hard to imagine that a smaller, more efficient console isn't a draw, I think most people would agree that it's the price cut that has spurred Sony's sales and left Microsoft feeling more than a little uncomfortable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94906-Buy-a-360-Elite-Get-50-Back-From-Microsoft].

Yesterday, SCEA boss Jack Tretton warned that while increased PS3 sales meant that Sony was back on track to meet their targets of 12 million PS3s sold in 2009, it also meant that there might be and we know how that went [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps3-shortages-%E2%80%9Cconceivable%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%93-scea].

(Via Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps3-slim-sales-hit-one-million])

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
I think this is a reflection more of the lower price. My buddy has a PS3, and we mainly use it to watch movies. Sure we play some games on it now-and-then, but the 360 he has just offers a better, and wider, v=selection of games.

I'd love to get a High Def T.V. and a blu-ray player so I can watch some movies(Iron Man, for example, looks fantastic on 72 inches of 1080p goodness), but the PS3 is supposed to be a gaming system first.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
*long whistle* Wow...

Edit: By the way, whats the picture supposed to show?

Is kratos the ps3 slim that just made the market it's *****, or...?

Jordan454

Sep 24, 2009
I'd say its more to do with the price drop,the slimmer model just looks fancy,to be honest I don't think its that big of a deal,most of my friends who own xbox360's say they prefer it because its cheaper that's all,they don't seem to think the xbox has anything appealing enough to stick with it

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
iamq said:
*long whistle* Wow...

Edit: By the way, whats the picture supposed to show?

Is kratos the ps3 slim that just made the market it's *****, or...?
Yes.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
This of course begs the question: Is this the appeal of the Slim, or the appeal of the $299 price tag?
I believe it's a combination of things really.
1) The lower price tag.
2) The fact that it's a second-edition Sony product, and everyone knows by now to never buy first-edition Sony products but wait till the second edition (although the PS3 fat did admirably well regarding hardware issues compared to Sony's past).
3) Bigger hard drive.
4) Many good exclusives are on the way.
5) More people are upgrading to HDTV's. I know that sounds weird, but I have 3 friends who own a 360 and are gaming on old TV's without caring, but they refused to buy a PS3 before upgrading their TV first, I suppose they feel that they'd be missing out on a lot more on the PS3 without the proper TV.

I guess the combination of the above made people who were on the verge of getting a PS3 to consider that the time is right to get one.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I'd say that i'm glad Sony are getting their act together. Now all they need to do is put Spyro The Dragon on the store and i'll be happy.

hansari

May 31, 2009
harhol said:
They should release the PS3 Even Slimmer next month.
They should slap some sixaxis artificial jiggly breasts on top of the consoles lid...

I guarantee you it would sell well...even after Sarah Palin signs it...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
randomrob said:
I'd say that i'm glad Sony are getting their act together. Now all they need to do is put Spyro The Dragon on the store and i'll be happy.
Spyro is in the claws of Activision now...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
That's pretty damn good, considering how long it's been out. I have to be honest, this will probably be on my christmas list. Finally, Little big planet, we will be together!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
1 mill in 3 weeks, congrats to sony I think, think it might be more the price drop than the size, after all size doesnt matter.....right..........

Hitman 43

Jun 6, 2009
Good for Sony. I myself don't really care. I don't have anything against the Slim, but I prefer the original PS3. It's more attractive with it's cool metalic surface.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well after the initial jump in Japan they've stayed about 50k units sold for the PS3 for the past couple weeks now