PS4 Getting Dashboard Themes Next Update

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
PS4 Getting Dashboard Themes Next Update

Soon, PS4 owners will be able to alter their dashboard to reflect their interests and hobbies.

Every since the launch of the PlayStation 4, the console's dashboard interface has always seemed a tad bit bland. Today, Sony announced [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/01/watch-sonys-pre-tgs-press-conference-right-here/] at their Japan Asia press conference that the next update for their console will allow users to breathe fresh air into their systems by adding custom themes to the dashboard.

The reveal showcased a few animated themes. The Playstation 4 demo featuring Toro and Kuro [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_Inoue]- two prominent Japanese PlayStation characters. Cycling through the menus seemingly altered the background where the characters reside. For the Vita, a theme for Danganropa series spin-off Zettai Zetsubo Shojo: Danganronpa Another Episode was displayed with custom wallpaper and icons.

It has yet to be said when this update will be released, what level of customization will be available, or whether the themes will be preselected and available for download via PSN as opposed to players being able to select their own images to be used as backgrounds.

For more PS4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/playstation%204] news, stay tuned to The Escapist!

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/09/01/ps4-update-adding-themes-to-the-dashboard/?partner=yahootix]

Apr 28, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Can I watch YouTube yet, or video and music from an external drive? I feel like those are more important features than custom themes Sony. I get it, different teams doing different jobs. Hopefully these guys get put on that job after this. It'd be pretty awesome if the PS4 was at least as functional as its predecessor.
To add to this, did they add a "pause download" button yet? Or a way to make it so either sub accounts can be made into master accounts or can be allowed to buy anything with my own god damn money that I made so I don't have to keep adding money to my step-dad's account then sign back into my account to buy what I fucking want?

Both of those would be pretty neat additions.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I get they're working out the important bits before the pissing about bits. But I do hope they'll let us have our own pics as backgrounds again. As unimportant as it really is.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was hoping this would include some sort of overhaul to the UI, but I guess I'll have to keep on muddling through it, finding things in the last place I'd think to look for them.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Can I watch YouTube yet, or video and music from an external drive? I feel like those are more important features than custom themes Sony. I get it, different teams doing different jobs. Hopefully these guys get put on that job after this. It'd be pretty awesome if the PS4 was at least as functional as its predecessor.
Youtube app is coming in 2.0 with ability to directly upload captured gameplay to Youtube. That should be in a few weeks, not sure on the external HDD support though.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Mcoffey said:
And Media Server support...

Even with external drive support, you should be able to copy music and videos to the hard drive. You can even download game videos off the PS Store.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm excited by this. The current PS4 UI is nice and minimalist, but also extremely bland. I'd have no real issue even paying a little bit of cash for a fully reskinned UI that fit my tastes (or, even better, a totally custom UI or even just wallpaper though I doubt that's going to be something doable without a workaround of some sort).

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I'm tempted to get a PS4 just for that cat in the lower left corner.

Look at that smug bastard. That suave cat smile, the lowered brow. He looks like he leads a life of adventure. He's hardcore. He gets shit done. The blush on his cheek makes me think he's got something on the line with the gimpcat to the right. Is that a red tongue, or a copper zipper?

Wait, PS4's still $400...

Well, cheaper than a real cat, right?

Edit: No tent should be awake this early in the damn morning. >.<