PS4 Outsells Xbox One by Nearly Two-to-One in the US Last Month

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PS4 Outsells Xbox One by Nearly Two-to-One in the US Last Month

According to NPD's numbers, PS4 units sold in January almost doubled that of the Xbox One, with even the software sales showing a clear slant for Sony's console.

While it's no secret by now that Sony's PlayStation 4 is outperforming Microsoft's Xbox One at retail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131923-Tomb-Raider-PS4-Sales-More-Than-Double-That-of-Xbox-One-In-UK], that gulf might be bigger than most people think. According to The NPD Group's numbers for January, hardware sales of the PS4 nearly doubled that of the Xbox One in the US, with Sony spokesperson Guy Longworth confirming the advantage, even if PS4 supply remains "severely constrained."

Demand for PlayStation 4 remains incredibly strong as it was No. 1 in sales for next-gen consoles in January, nearly doubling the nearest next-gen competitor, and remains the cumulative leader, according to today's NPD report...Although PS4 remains severely constrained at retail, we are working hard to refresh supply as quickly as possible.

Over in the software front, Sony managed to dominate that area too, with Longworth stating, "It's clear gamers are choosing PlayStation as the best place to play, with PS4 software sales ranking No. 1 in January, highlighted by strong sales of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, which sold twice as many units on PS4 than any other platform." Aside from Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, the PS4 version of multi-platform games is outselling its Xbox One counterpart except for Call of Duty: Ghosts and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.

While both Microsoft and Sony have yet to reveal official hardware figures, estimates peg the PS4 sales at 280,000 units, with the Xbox One said to have moved 145,000 units in the first month of 2014. Keep in mind that these are US numbers. But then again, the story isn't all that different in the UK, either, with online retail giant Amazon confirming that the PS4 gap over the Xbox One is "quite a big one." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131971-Amazon-UK-Confirms-PS4-Gap-Over-Xbox-One-is-Quite-a-Big-One]

What steps should Microsoft take to catch up to Sony's PS4? Offer Xbox Live's "Games with Gold" service on the platform? Drop Kinect entirely? Or could Respawn's upcoming Titanfall be the game that lessens the gap?

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/13/january-2014-npd-playstation-4-extends-its-lead/]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
When microsoft said they were going to release the more expensive console later, I couldn't believe it. Its like, they didn't enjoy what happened to sony and their ridiculous cell processor last time. The problem for MS is that NA has always been their best market, and as I understand it sony is whonkin' em in many of the other markets around the world as well.

Titanfall is a great title I'm sure, but I do not see it having anywhere near the sort of draw Halo CE had.

It doesn't really matter to me though, being a glorious member of the PC Gaming master race, I recommend the best thing to do is for MS to opensource their console and let you run steam on it. ;)-

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Cue a Microsoft exec saying 'It's not about sales figures. Stop trolling!'

And I think dropping the Kinect and lowering the price of the console to the same/less than the PS4 is pretty much Microsoft's only hope to increase their numbers. I don't really think Titanfall is going to make much of a difference as people who want to play it on a console would probably have already bought their box by now, unless they are holding out in hopes of an Xbone with a Titanfall design like the controller or something.

Sep 14, 2009
drop the kinect, drop the price or include a solid game or two with the xbone purchase and you MIGHT have a chance in catching up microsoft, otherwise sony is clearly shoving its foot in your face to keep you in third place.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I enjoy my PS4 ...but... I need more games -.- .

If I had the income to purchase 2 consoles, I would get the XB-One happily. I would even take the disk less one that was rumoured.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I find the news about CoD: Ghosts really interesting. It's bundled on both consoles right? So it's fascinating how two nearly identical consoles, which were also identical in the previous generation, still have a genuine culture divide. The Xbox is still the console for hardcore shooter fans and the PS4 goes for more offbeat, often story-focused, directions.

--------------------------------

The US is traditionally the strongest place for the Xbox by far. Imagine what it's like in Europe, or even how hard it will be for Microsoft in Japan.

It's still really early days though. The Xbox One hasn't lost and there aren't signs of third-parties having Wii U style complaints so it doesn't really matter. Who knows what will happen in the next few years? (If the Xbox One ever significantly falls behind, which I don't think it will, they can probably just ditch the Kinect and slash prices anyway). I still think Titanfall is going to be huge, although hopefully this is going to be the year inFamous is really given the recognition it deserves

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
This really surprises me. The games list for both consoles is nearly the same, and I don't think either console has anything that really sets it above the other at this point. I only reason I can see the PS4 doing that well is the blowback from the Xbone originally having online DRM.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
blalien said:
This really surprises me. The games list for both consoles is nearly the same, and I don't think either console has anything that really sets it above the other at this point. I only reason I can see the PS4 doing that well is the blowback from the Xbone originally having online DRM.
Really, I think the PS4 being $100 less is mainly what's driving this. Why pay $100 more when the games are essentially the same?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Interesting. It would seem that a less expensive, more powerful and more consumer friendly product has some sort of advantage on the market. Truly a strange occurrence.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Matt K said:
blalien said:
Really, I think the PS4 being $100 less is mainly what's driving this. Why pay $100 more when the games are essentially the same?
Especially as that extra 100 is for something many people find repulsive. More then a few gamers would find the kinect a dealbreaker if they GOT a $100 to have it included on their console.

This launch has gone exactly as i predicted.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Sadly, it's not about good games anymore only. Microsoft fails to understand that along with a good product, they need to focus on Customer Satisfaction, which doesn't end with buying a game. It means listening to the audience, seeing what they want, and try to do their best to keep that audience. What happened last year -they didn't have a good product AND they didn't listen to their customers even after the huge backlash- cost them a lot of PR and a lot of new and past customers, and things like the XboxONE/Machinima scandal aren't doing anything but dig the trench deeper.

Getting new customers is 5 times more difficult and costly than keeping old ones. Imagine if those 'new' customers are old ones you've spurned.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Alex Co said:
What steps should Microsoft take to catch up to Sony's PS4? Offer Xbox Live's "Games with Gold" service on the platform? Drop Kinect entirely? Or could Respawn's upcoming Titanfall be the game that lessens the gap?
Yes, yes, and yes. Well, the first two would put the XbOne about even (there's still the graphics weakness) with the PS4 in my eyes at least. Titanfall is really hyped up as a multiplayer game, so sales will jump anyways. Such multiplayer games have sold/distributed millions upon millions.
(see also: League of Legends, DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto V, and Super Smash Bros.)

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I'm really happy to see the punishment for the Xbox One fiasco continuing.
I feel like Microsoft shouldn't have just been able too pull a "Backsies" move and felt as though that would be the end of it, no, they NEED to be crucified for having the fucking gall too even mull over such a strategy, let alone announce it grandly too the world. Maybe next generation they'll be back on top, but they handed Sony the win for the next decade and I'm perfectly satisfied with that.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I'm not too sure Titanfall will be the massive system seller everybody's assuming it'll be, given that it'll also be available on the Xbox 360 and PC at the same time (and possibly Mac at a later date).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Xbox One sales will increase when the game comes out, but it's hardly an "exclusive" exclusive.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Matt K said:
blalien said:
It's the PS4 being cheaper AND more powerful. That's two good reasons to get the PS4 and not much reason to get the Xbone. Titanfall does look kinda nice, but not nice enough.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Iiiin fairness to Microsoft, the Xbone is doing very well even in its own right, despite the dominance of the PS4 so far. Perhaps Microsoft shouldn't focus on 'catching up' with Sony, and instead see about how to profit as much as possible from their console?

If they're going to achieve actual profits from the console, they need to focus on software sales. So, I reckon expanding Steam-style downloadable titles would be a big boon for Microsoft (and Sony, for that matter). Of course, they'll make sure that the games are just as expensive as the disk versions for no good reason but to keep retailers happy, which kinda majorly sucks...

If they do want to catch up with Sony? Drop the price. Thats all. Titanfall would do the rest.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
blalien said:
Less terrible PR blowback, no always on Kinect, 100$ cheaper. They've also threw in the free PSplus trial, which thus far meant you got Contrast, Outlast, Resogun, and Don't Starve as freebies.