PS4 Reclaimed Top Hardware Sales Spot in January 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4 Reclaimed Top Hardware Sales Spot in January 2015

After two months of the Xbox One winning in sales charts, the NPD Group has reported that PS4 took the spot again in January 2015.

For close to a year, Sony's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ps4>PlayStation 4 dominated hardware sales in North America, handily outselling its closest competitor, the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/xbox%20one?os=xbox+one>Xbox One, month after month after month. Then 2014's holiday season rolled around and the Xbox One, bolstered by deep price cuts and attractive software bundles, finally claimed its day in the sun. Microsoft's console <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139058-Xbox-One-Top-Selling-Console-in-November>took the top hardware sales spot in both November and December, closing out 2014 on a high note. With 2015 moving forward however, the big question on many gamer's minds has been whether or not the Xbox One would be able to hold onto the top-seller's crown with Christmas behind it.

The answer, it would seem, is no. According to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/npd%20group?os=npd+group>the NPD group's January 2015 sales report, the PS4 once again outsold the Xbox One last month. "PlayStation 4 was the top selling console in January, [and it] remains the cumulative leader in the US," said Sony, addressing the NPD report. "Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide." Microsoft, in its own response to the data, claimed that the Xbox One had seen "record" sales in January as well as "more game sales per console than any other platform."

Even with that being the case, we have to imagine that the PS4's renewed competitive success still has to smart a little bit. While the Xbox One was selling for $400 during the first week of January, Microsoft quickly dropped its price down to $350. This, of course, made it a full $50 cheaper than the PlayStation 4. To be outsold by a console more expensive than yours? That's the sort of thing that only Nintendo and the WiiU usually have to deal with.

Source: VG247

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Microsoft, in its own response to the data, claimed that the Xbox One had seen "record" sales in January as well as "more game sales per console than any other platform."
There was only ONE prior January before it. I love Microsoft's spin machine. It's truly the gift that never stops giving.

Still, congrats to all parties involved. January seems to have done everyone well.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
We can firmly say that the people who thought this generation would flop are wrong :)

Arstechnica did a report on worldwide sales and noted that even during the christmas period the PS4 sold more consoles than the Xbox One worldwide, it's just the gap wasn't quite so big as it's been every other time since launch.

Part of me still wishes that Sony would slash their prices and try to own the whole market again. If the company was doing better I imagine they might even do that, but at the moment taking a loss is too unattractive for a company who's having to sell of assets

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BrotherRool said:
We can firmly say that the people who thought this generation would flop are wrong
There's several years to go yet, both parties need to get those killers apps out sooner ot later or they'll be a lot of unused console gathering dust in the world.

Except for all the pre-teens and drongos playing Call of Duty every twelve months religiously...

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Part of me still wishes that Sony would slash their prices and try to own the whole market again. If the company was doing better I imagine they might even do that, but at the moment taking a loss is too unattractive for a company who's having to sell of assets
I don't think they see much need, they're already outpacing the PS3, PS2 and PS1, if they continue at this rate it will be the top selling console of all time

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
SNCommand said:
BrotherRool said:
I don't think they see much need, they're already outpacing the PS3, PS2 and PS1, if they continue at this rate it will be the top selling console of all time
I'm not sure they'll have the best market share of all-time though. And it's just the 360 had a big lead on the PS3, but the PS3 clawed it back.

But if the PS4 had an even bigger lead then they can start making it harder to come back. Suddenly its worth a lot less for developers to sign exclusives with Microsoft and it costs them less to sign exclusives with Sony. And even less people want to buy an Xbox One because all their friends have PS4's

I guess as a customer though we're all better off if Microsoft is around to keep Sony honest, so it's not in my best interests for them to be in that position.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
BrotherRool said:
We can firmly say that the people who thought this generation would flop are wrong :)

Arstechnica did a report on worldwide sales and noted that even during the christmas period the PS4 sold more consoles than the Xbox One worldwide, it's just the gap wasn't quite so big as it's been every other time since launch.

i don't know if i want to live in a world where things aren't failing for dumb practices simply due to inertia from having to buy a new console so that they won't get left behind

so many dumb things have happened and yet companies are still making money and continuing their shit practices and it's just going to get increasingly dumber the more apparent it gets that quality has stopped being a factor in sales

so hooray for success!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I know right, we have like so many games to look forward to, like so many, i can't even start to name them all!

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
BrotherRool said:

Won't stop them talking like they exist in a different reality of course. PS4 could sell a billion units next year and we'll still have people proclaiming that its the last console generation due to *rolls eyes* poor sales.

weirdee said:
i don't know if i want to live in a world where things aren't failing for dumb practices simply due to inertia from having to buy a new console so that they won't get left behind

so many dumb things have happened and yet companies are still making money and continuing their shit practices and it's just going to get increasingly dumber the more apparent it gets that quality has stopped being a factor in sales

so hooray for success!

Seems someone is bitter their indy darlings are getting outshone.

Its one thing to attack a performer, its quite another to attack a performer's fans. Please put that ugly display of attitude away okay mate?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
"Microsoft holds lead in console sales during holiday season, proving they're number one with parents who don't know video games". This amuses me.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
BrotherRool said:
I know right, we have like so many games to look forward to, like so many, i can't even start to name them all!
That's moving the goalposts :p Someones already done that before in this thread 'Oh crud all our initial predictions were wrong, quick we were talking about AAA game releases right? And ignoring that the PC hasn't had any decent AAA releases in that time either'

But I'm happy with that, because in two years time I can post a smug comment about how the people who predicted there'd be no games for these consoles with a huge audience surprisingly turned out to be wrong too. Admittedly I'm probably too smug for my own good.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
BrotherRool said:
FogHornG36 said:
BrotherRool said:
That's moving the goalposts :p Someones already done that before in this thread 'Oh crud all our initial predictions were wrong, quick we were talking about AAA game releases right? And ignoring that the PC hasn't had any decent AAA releases in that time either'

But I'm happy with that, because in two years time I can post a smug comment about how the people who predicted there'd be no games for these consoles with a huge audience surprisingly turned out to be wrong too. Admittedly I'm probably too smug for my own good.
The specs on the two brand new consoles are already obsolete and are expected to last 10 years, I try not to compare to pc because i don't need a constant flow of games to rationalize buying a pc, i can used it for things other then gaming, while at the same time modding makes the lifetime of a game even longer

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
The specs on the two brand new consoles are already obsolete and are expected to last 10 years, I try not to compare to pc because i don't need a constant flow of games to rationalize buying a pc, i can used it for things other then gaming, while at the same time modding makes the lifetime of a game even longer
See I'm actually in the opposite boat. A laptop is like 100x more useful to me than a PC, but the only time a laptop can play decent modern games is at the end of a very long and successful console cycle (so right now).

If I wanted to game on a PC I would either have to own a laptop and a PC, which is more expensive and less convenient than a laptop and a console, or I would have to buy some ridiculously overpriced laptop that will still probably break in 3 years.

I honestly kind of doubt that I'll ever own an actual desktop PC again. Even if my laptop doesn't leave my house it's still a lot more convenient around my house than a PC is. And that's going to stay true even if I have family (especially if I have family?)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
BrotherRool said:
Upcoming: Bloodborn, Axiom Verge, Dark Souls II rerelese, FF Type-0 HD, Kingdom Hearts III, Mortal Kombat X, Metal Gear Solid 5, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, Chasm.

Semi-recently released: Guilty Gear Xrd, Shadow of Mordor, Alien: Isolation, Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete.

And that is a narrow slice consisting of PS4 games, that I'm interested in personally, that I can name off the top of my head.

And to preempt the inevitable "STFU CONSOLE SUBHUMAN" brushoff: I just spent several hours installing 1.5K USD of new parts in my PC to make sure I'm good for another 3 years. I love my PS4 and has nothing to do with "ignorance" or "jealousy". Multiplatform godrace 4lyfe yo.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Now if we can just the Xbone back to dead last, where it belongs, we'd be all on track.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Oh man, I still don't own neither a PS4 nor an XBone... If I were to base my decision on sales number (and therefore, installed base) I'd go with a PS4.
Now, if Sony would get their act together!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'll get a PS4 After the first "Slim" version. By then there will enough JRPGs and other Eastern localizations to make it worth it. The Japanese exclusives always help the PS Brand.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I was a pretty early adopter of the PS4 and I haven't regretted my decision at all, PS+ has sorted me with games and it feels like Sony have been a bit more up front with everything. That coupled with being able to remotely play my friends games really helps ease me into justifying the cost.

The media has not been kind about Xbox and I think that has been a huge factor, no matter how much backtracking they have done. It seems like they pumped a lot of money into advertising and then things like Titanfall just, fizzled out (Yea remember titanfall, that was a thing which I forgot about too).