PS4 Sells 2.1 Million Units Worldwide

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
*Looks to his right*

"PS2, PS3, X360, Wii... And, oh, behind that, a closet full of unplayed games."

*Looks back to his screen*

"Oh - and right in front of my nose, a computer that has a Steam-library full of games from Humble Bundles and Steam Sales. More than a hundred titles, of which I've probably only tried one fifth so far."

Yeah, not gonna buy any current gen consoles any time soon. Maybe I should just skip a few generations till I can finally plow my way through all those PS2-games I wanted to play.

Mar 26, 2008
I think a lot of people are buying a PS4 simply as a big "fuck you" to Microsoft. Let's face it, both consoles don't have much going for them at the moment and won't really hit their stride til mid next year.
I've said it once and I'll say it again, the console release supremacy is cyclical. One side edges out the other, gets cocky and then proceeds to alienate it's fans when their next console is launched. The underdog humbly panders to fans and then gains the ascendancy the next round, before getting cocky... rinse, repeat. Except for Nintendo; they're the strange kid tinkering with something in the corner.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
All Playstaion needed to do was not fuck this up and... well they largely didn't fuck this up. apart from the PSN problems and the forecast Microtransactions in some games it's largely been a pretty standard launch.

On the other hand the Xbone has been mired in problem after problem. Here is a small list;

Baffling £450 price point
720p Resolution Gate
Unfavorable system performance comparisons
The hangover from the used sales debacle
Continued mishandling of the press
Kinect Privacy concerns and "Dick-Gate"
Massive rollout of microstansactions culture in Microsoft published games

It's been a sea of huge issues even if they were effectively forced to change some of the worst excesses by what can only be described as a consumer and press popular uprising. All the while people continue to not care the Wii-U exists.

In that regard it's not hard to see why the PS4 is selling so well. It's not the best show in town, but it is the least horrible.
Yeah, I heard about the microtransactions in the games. Seriously, that is just messed up. Fee to Pay as Jim dubbed it. I've seen none of that in my PS4 games and the Killzone Devs have stated that the Killzone multiplayer maps will be free.

I honestly love my PS4. And I'm so happy that I'm in the PS+, now. I've already downloaded over 80 dollars in free games just in the last month.

Also, where is your avatar from? I half suspect it's from the recent Desert Bus of Hope stream.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
And they owe most of it to Microsoft's arrogance, incompetence and just plain old-fashioned greed.
Probably not all off it, they have been strenghtening the Playstation brand for quite some time with the last couple of years on ps3. I think they might have won a lot of goodwill on their exclusives while MS seems to have been resting on their laurels. Combine this with the recent PR disaster and we might have an explanation for their current succes.

I'm not buying a new console though, i'm content with what i got, there's still plenty of games i need to play, i haven't even scratched the surface of the DS library yet. But i would prefer if the PS4 ended up as the biggest, mostly because i want the japanese exclusives to be collected on 1 console instead of being spread out. Since i'm only getting 1 machine, it just seems more convenient that way. And my choice falls on PS4 because it seems the most interesting (no motion controls, voice commands and acces to ps1-3 titles) and i kinda hate Microsoft as a company... But right now, both machines look pretty damn boring, i don't think i could name any games that i actually want to play. There's a few on the orizon but they'll also be available on ps3...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
gigastar said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
If the PS4 does reach its 5 million units goal by March that will complete the book that the other two companies need to read call "How to Not Mess Up a Console Launch."
An yet Sony still could have done better. Not that they really needed to.
In terms of release titles yes. In terms of sales they broke the record for biggest console launch in the US and fastest day one sales for consoles in the UK. I don't think they could do much better in that respect.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
gigastar said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
If the PS4 does reach its 5 million units goal by March that will complete the book that the other two companies need to read call "How to Not Mess Up a Console Launch."
An yet Sony still could have done better. Not that they really needed to.

Ed130 said:
Then how do you explain the WiiU?
"You must make sure your console launches with more than 2 worthwhile games."
The PS4 only had about 2 worthwhile exclusives so there is that. One of the WiiU's problems was people who don't game regularly (basically the people who buy consoles mostly to play the annual releases) thought, and to a small degree still think that the WiiU is an attachment rather than a new console.