PS4 Survey Hints at Reputation System, PSN Username Change & More

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PS4 Survey Hints at Reputation System, PSN Username Change & More

One of the most requested PSN features -- changing a user's PSN ID -- might be coming soon to PS4, as well as other ideas in a survey sent by Sony to PS4 gamers.

Possibly one of the most requested PlayStation Network features might be coming soon to the PlayStation 4, and that's allowing users to change their PSN online names. Sony has sent out a survey to PS4 owners that ask a multitude of questions regarding the PS4 and PSN, which suggests some of the items listed might be making its way onto a future firmware update. Aside from changing online usernames, possibly the most interesting ones listed include a "Player reputation system based on a user rating system," an "Advanced matchmaking" system that will help match players against users on their skill level, ability to turn invisible, and allowing more than eight people to engage in party chat simultaneously.

Bear in mind, though, this isn't confirmation that the features listed in the survey will make its way to the PS4 or PSN. It's just that Sony is looking into whether there's user interest and what they prioritize more. But seeing how frequent we get system updates for consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if all the items listed makes its way to the PS4 before the year's done.

If I had to hazard an assumption, allowing PS4 players to change their usernames will involve a fee of some sort. Otherwise, users would keep on changing their PSN usernames haphazardly if not. Hopefully, whatever fee Sony thinks up, it won't be much, since a lot of users have been requesting for this feature to make its way to the PSN since the online infrastructure's inception.

What feature in the survey would you want to make its way to the PSN first? And what can a player reputation system bring to the table for PS4 gamers -- or do you see it being the same as its Xbox One counterpart where users with bad reps will lose certain privileges? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133263-Xbox-One-Users-With-Bad-Reputation-Will-Lose-Privileges]

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/ps4-user-survey-hints-at-reputation-system-and-more]

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I honestly hope that a reputation system isn't implemented. It's not necessarily that I'll be affected by it, but a system where a player's privileges is up to the fates of trolling/angry users is not a system I want to see any time soon

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Eternal_Lament said:
I honestly hope that a reputation system isn't implemented. It's not necessarily that I'll be affected by it, but a system where a player's privileges is up to the fates of trolling/angry users is not a system I want to see any time soon
Fair point. "OMG! Killed me 24 times in an MP game11!!" = Bad rep. ;)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Whats the gaming worlds obsession with matchmaking? Screw matchmaking if you ask me, I quite like getting pitted against better players than me, makes it more of a challenge than just mowing through other players all match.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wooty got my opinion on matchmaking. I hate steamrolling people, rather have a challenge.

But I can't agree more with ID change. The E in Elfgore isn't capitalized. Been driving me crazy for the past four years.

I hate reputation as well. I've been called a "****** noob" before at the end of some BF3 games. I don't want a bad rep because I just wrecked somebody and they're being a whiny brat about it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
1: Yes I'd love to change my name thank you, however charging is bad (charge after the first time, but not for the first one... I had to change my online user-names a few years ago because of a stalker)
2: I'm not going to advocate a system that will punish people for things out of their control. (I was given a "bad rep" on the GTA multiplayer because I didn't complete a race... because of a power cut)

Apr 28, 2008
How about a "pause download" button. That'd be a pretty good thing to have.

Also how about a way to upgrade sub-accounts to master accounts. Or at least let master accounts give them all privileges. Made my account when I was 16. I'm 22 now and am really fucking tired of having to buy a point card, sign into my step-dad's master account to add the points, then sign into my account to buy it. I have a debit card and money, let me fucking use them please.

Also I want to upload pictures of stuff I've taken during games and sub-accounts can't do that.

So yeah Sony, add those two things. Preferably before anything else. Because god damn, they should have been a thing at launch.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Out of all of that the only thing I care for is the ability to change your name, something that should have been on the PSN years ago if you ask me. As for online reputation, I spent the beginning 3 years of last gen on the 360 with Xbox Live, and if it taught me one thing, it's that people will abuse a reputation system extensively. So no Sony, no reputation system as it will just be abused like how the 360's was and how eventually the Xbox One's will be since it's algorithm based.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
I think there is a simple solution to the PSN name change: assign two seperate ID's. One that displays a username that people can change as they please, and a permanent number ID which cannot be changed and is assigned to every account when created. That way people will be pleased to be able to change their displayed name whenever they feel like it, but their number ID will always identify them as the same person. This way, if one player is continuously harassing another player and changes their username to disguise himself, then the other can view their number ID and confirm that it is the same player. Then they can report the user with ease, and players cannot change their username to try and avoid repercussion.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm happy with my username, but I can see how adding this option would be fantastic. I've seen some usernames out there that I can tell were made up by either little kids, or teenagers/preteens who were trying to be funny. I'm betting they'll be wishing they could change it in a year or two...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really want to be able to change my username since I've been a fan of it ever since I had it, but I guess that teaches me about asking a friend on what it should be. >.>

As for the reputation thing, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm sure it can be heavily abused and wreck a users playing experience because of some dick, but at the same time you at least know who to avoid.

Then again, I don't play too much multiplayer, so I kinda don't have much of an opinion on this. :/

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
whats the obsession with skill matchmaking? playing against equal skill opponents will always end up badly. for one, you will never feel like your getting better. for two, you will never be able to really show if your good if everyone else is equal to your level.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
The only thing that I want is free online gaming. If the PS4 never gets that, I won't be upgrading from my PS3. The only reason I ever bought that was because it lacked a subscription.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Being able to change my name would be a most welcome change. I don't outright hate my handle, but I don't feel that it represents me properly. People see "C Money" and assume that I'm all about "thug life". However, that was a nickname given to me by a metal band I was in because we all joked about going corporate and starting a rap group. It is funny in person, when people can see that I'm probably the furthest thing from "gangsta", which is probably why the nickname stuck to me.

Unfortunately, that doesn't really translate to the anonymity brought about by the interwebs. I would pay a substantial amount to be able to modify it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Eternal_Lament said:
Chances are, that person would have bad reputation to begin with.

If they implement the system that ignores the user ratings of ones with bad reputations, it could work.

At least, not straight away. But I think it'll be a start.