PS4: What you doing with it?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
PS4: What you doing with it?

I'd like to upgrade the hard drive. I was warned a x7200 was too hot for the PS3 without really adding speed. Is this true of the PS4? This guy says get SSD. Too expensive for me at this time.

I haven't been able to get to the Sony Store. I just checked a bunch of youtube videos, they all cannot get there either. I haven't tried a 2nd time yet. Reasonably accessible now? You been there?

Done any remote play yet? I've heard some good stuff. Example

Got Assassin's Creed so far. Next up are NBA 2014, Need for Speed, Injustice and Killzone 4. Not sure in what order.

I think I will link up to facebook. Bad idea?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't like the idea of fiddling around with my console, so don't intend to upgrade the hard drive or anything like that. I don't have a Vita (or any handheld for that matter), so remote play is also a feature I won't be using.

I've just been playing AC4, Don't Starve, and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. I'm hoping next time I check, Outlast will finally be on the Playstion Store. I haven't had any trouble getting on it, by the way. Prepare to be dazzled by how fast this fucker loads up now though.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I put a 1TB hdd in the night I brought it home. I beleve it was just the 5400, no clue about the 7200, but the one I have seems to work just fine. Also it literally took me 5 min to swap them out, super simple.

I've played quite a few games on it. I beat Killzone Shadow Fall, Lego Marval, Resogun & Contrast all pretty fun games. I've also played a ton of Dont Starve, that game is super addicting. I've also put about 15 hours into AC4, and still have a lot more to do in that game. There are a few others, DC Universe Online, Flower, Sound Shapes, Warframe, Doki Doki Universe & Blacklight that I've downloaded but haven't really had a chance to play. Finally, I started playing Outlast last night, and man oh man is that one freaky game. I am really enjoying it so far, and plan to play more. PS+ really makes any of the Sony systems worth owning. The four free games they've given away on the PS4 have all been really good.

I've also messed with the remote play quite a bit. It's a really cool feature, but I think it works better for some titles over others. Like Resogun was a little to fast paced, and the minimal lag I experienced was a bit frustrating, but AC4 is fantastic, and the majority of the 15 hours I've spent with that game, has been played over remote play.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
wolfehound22 said:
I put a 1TB hdd in the night I brought it home.
And that doesn't void the warranty, correct?

PS+ really makes any of the Sony systems worth owning. The four free games they've given away on the PS4 have all been really good.
Cool. I bought a 1 year card but couldn't log on to the store to use it! I'll try again tonight.

Lot of good word of mouth on Don't Starve. One of the free games?
hakkarin said:
Won't opening your PS4 and changing the hard drive void the warranty?
I don't think so. They really pushing this as a selling feature. I asked wolfehound22 above if he's heard anything.

Casual Shinji said:
Prepare to be dazzled by how fast this fucker loads up now though.
I'm using that as a selling point to a buddy that is stuck on his PS3, loving it. Heck, I'm keeping both! But as I was simply setting it up, there was something smooth and awesome about doing so. I thought I might just be excited about doing this but it is great!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gorfias said:
Yep, it's free for PS+. And as has been stated, it's going to eat up your time like a wolverine.

It is one of those Dark Souls type games though. It doesn't really tell you shit about anything. You have to learn the game's mechanics as you progress, and you get severely punished whenever you drop the ball. There's loads of basic tutorial videos on Youtube though, so that can help you out. God knows I wouldn't have survived past Winter without checking those out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What am I doing with the PS4? I'm looking at it from far, far away, from the year 2019, when I still haven't bought it because I always tread one generation behind.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Casual Shinji said:
Gorfias said:
Yep, it's free for PS+. And as has been stated, it's going to eat up your time like a wolverine.

It is one of those Dark Souls type games though. It doesn't really tell you shit about anything. You have to learn the game's mechanics as you progress, and you get severely punished whenever you drop the ball. There's loads of basic tutorial videos on Youtube though, so that can help you out. God knows I wouldn't have survived past Winter without checking those out.
Cool! I hope I'm able to use PS+ tonight. Tuesday night it was giving me errors trying to connect. Server likely busy.

Johnny Novgorod said:
What am I doing with the PS4? I'm looking at it from far, far away, from the year 2019, when I still haven't bought it because I always tread one generation behind.
My whole life, I've been a 1/2 generation behind. This last one was so long it gave me time to put some money aside and get this without the wife knowing as it came from my private fun money! She still wondering what the heck is the matter with me.

The PS3 is still that good. And I have so many games for it. I have it sitting on the same shelf with the PS4 and will likely still use it for movie watching. Why put wear and tear on the newer device?

But, if this is your thing (gaming) if you can, you should spoil yourself. Only downside: will the console you choose die well before its time (ie Dreamcast). This time around, I don't even think the Wii U will totally fail, let alone this. Pretty safe gamble. I can't wait for complete Q1 sales stats.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Playing ACIV or letting the wife watch Netflix are the primary functions of my PS4 right now. Haven't really used the Remote Play function on my Vita, other than just testing it out randomly on Resogun. As mentioned above, there was a slight lag to it when I tried it, though I had a game running in the background on the Vita, so I don't know if that affected it or not. It just looked like a frame or two went missing every 5 seconds or so. Nothing that really impaired my ability to play it.

Looking forward to Thief later this month. That should be pretty slick on PS4.

hakkarin said:
Nope. The panel the HDD is under is designed to be removed and Sony has no issue with you upgrading the drive, just like with the PS3. Now removing the panel on the OTHER side of the device, where all the fancy electronics are kept, would do so.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
I'm mostly hitting AC: Black Flag at the moment. Outlast on PS4 dropped yesterday and it's great. Contrast, KZ Shadowfall and Lego Marvel have been fun.

Upgrading the SSD will not void the warranty there are step by step instructions to do so on the Playstation site. I went for a 1TB Toshiba hybrid drive, it's a great option you get good performance at a price much closer to SATA than SSD.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
I would say I'm in b/w. I'll probably get it in something like 2015/16, once more than a handful of interesting games come out for it that aren't just prettier version of games I can already get on PS3.

Alexander Kavanagh

Aug 27, 2012
My Ps4 stopped being compatible with my monitor (a Asus VX238H, I can't find any solution on the internet and there has only been one other case like this. The screen just flickers black and white whenever I start the console. So right now its gathering dust until I can find a solution to the problem. It still works with a borrowed monitor but that one doesn't have any speakers on it, and I'm not to keen to play with no sound.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm currently playing through the Killzone storyline. It's actually been really impressive so far.

I've been playing the free outlast, quite a good horror game and for free? Yes. Though I did not care for "Don't Starve" and the Resogun game was fun but didn't occupy my time for more than 20 minutes at at most. I'm currently much more interested in the ps3 PS+ free games (like Metro 2033 Last light which I downloaded a couple nights ago).

My wife and I have been playing COD Ghosts on it. That has been a lot of fun. Very impressive multiplayer environments.

Other than that, we use it most often in the same way I used my ps3. Netflix, Huluplus and DVD/Bluray player.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
My kids use it for Netflix, I've been playing Resogun and fiddling with AC4 here and there. Really, I'm waiting on reviews for Thief and the release of inFamous to dig in.

Also, remote play is pretty solid, though it can get a bit laggy at times. Not deal breaking lag, but enough to cause some of frustration in a twitch reflexes title.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Remote control works, but it's the kind of thing I don't see myself using... Anyway, I played through Killzone: Shadow Fall twice, wonderful launch game, bought Battlefield 4 and deleted it because the campaign makes me angry, downloaded Don't Starve and also deleted it (nice game, but it's not my genre), finished Contrast and loved it, and now I'm playing Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and am playing Outlast for a while, though I don't plan to keep much longer with Outlast, it's too fucking creepy for my standards... the stuff I REALLY want hasn't been released yet... (Watch Dogs, InFamous: Second Son, The Witcher 3, MGS: Ground Zeroes)

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Basically staring at the pretty thing, willing it to bring me more games while I play the plethora available on its older brother(seriously, I'm about to run out of space on the drive. Looks like cut day at the end of spring training. Gotta cull the weak... or the old). Still play Resogun on my Vita while at work, just can't wait for more content. Second Son looks fantastic, and I would love a nice JRPG to show off the systems capabilities in that regard(not graphics, more enemies on the field. More stats to tweak. I love personalizing my character).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
hakkarin said:
Gorfias said:
And that doesn't void the warranty, correct?
The HDD is designed to be replaceable, like the PS3. Or unlike the Xbone, if you prefer. You can't pop the hood and mess around with most parts, but the HDD is meant to be upradeable.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
No real point in getting SSD, as your total space won't likely be as high (w/o paying more than you did for the system).

Moreover, the OS won't REALLY take advantage of it. If anything, I'd get a hybrid drive. That way, you can attain a larger drive size, but the system will eventually use the SSD portion on whatever you've recently been accessing more often.

Someone may have posted the video (too lazy to check), but the difference in loading certain games isn't all that high right now. Still, a minute shaved down to 40 seconds is still nearly 50% faster (SSD). But a hybrid wasn't far off that mark, and considerably cheaper.

My advice, until the system takes advantage of it, stick with the in-box HD, or get a hybrid if you want to upgrade and get more space. Right now, the only thing SSD will get you is peace of mind that the platters won't break (which doesn't preclude other potential HD flummoxes).