PS5 Teardown: Up Close and Personal

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Jesus, how insecure you have to be to make statements like that? How a person sets up their console is not that guy's or gal's God damn business.
LOL. Just funny someone would feel that way.
I will write, after watching the tear down, it does appear to be the optimal way to position the console. Heat rises. The fans and intake/output positions make me think the manufacturer really wants you to stand it up for best ventilation.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Jesus, how insecure you have to be to make statements like that? How a person sets up their console is not that guy's or gal's God damn business.
The kind of insecure person that equate brands with personality.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It has dust catchers but I’m wondering if it’s better for avoiding excessive dust in the first place having it horizontal. The Shell seems to cover any areas where dust may settle, unlike the top edge where a lot of venting is if it’s vertical. I’ve always had my consoles horizontal, so unless they state a clear advantage for vertical I’ll probably stick with it whenever I get one. Who knows what the Slim will be like too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Meanwhile, this seems to be why Sony’s console has such a massive heat sink and is therefore massive itself -

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

.1602702117486.gif

I love late adoption. When the dust settles I’ll pick one up that’s smaller, cooler, cheaper and with a bunch of games to try out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Meanwhile, this seems to be why Sony’s console has such a massive heat sink and is therefore massive itself -

Yeah, I am not touching that vid. Fuck ReviewTechUSA. He's not reviewed any actual tech since 2013. Assholes became just another sensationalist and attention grabbing YouTube user. I refuse to support someone who encourages the harassment of another YouTube user for wearing a Yoshi hat at an E3 convention.

EDIT: Stupid google speak. I'm fixing this with my laptop right now, since it is my day off.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I am not touching that vid. Fuck ReviewTechUSA. He's not reviewed any actual tech since 2013. Assholes became just another sensationalist and attention grabbing YouTube user. Hershey's to support someone who encourages the harassment of other YouTube users for wearing a Yoshi hat at an E3 convention.
He later made a video saying PS5 ran hotter than XSX, so yeah he seems to just be a heresay plebeian.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Exactly why you should never trust him at all.
I mean, that clickbaity thumbnail on that series X video already tells you everything you need to know.

I'll reserve any judgment until there's been some hands-on testing by someone more reputable.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Digital Foundry.
Yeah, they're who I primarily had in mind. Sure, they're very dry and no frills, but they're thorough, transparent, know their stuff and don't go off on tangents bitching about SJWs in a friggin tech review.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, they're who I primarily had in mind. Sure, they're very dry and no frills, but they're thorough, transparent, know their stuff and don't go off on tangents bitching about SJWs in a friggin tech review.
I never actually find them dry at all. They may not have "frills", but that is what makes them unique and stand out. They are thorough, straight to the point, and do not beat around the bush. I'll still disagree with them once in awhile, but they're more than okay in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Hahaha, that's the design they are going with? It looks like a melting ice cream sandwich with inverted colours.
I just don't know if I'll get to put it in my living room. Thing is just not some nearly unnoticeable box. Wife will not be happy and you know the saying... happy wife, happy life...

Might put it on a Samsung 65" 4K curve in my addition but that TV has no HDR. First world problems, I know.

I just piled up my PS+ into 2023 getting 12 month sales when I can do so. What if well before then, they stop supporting PS4 as they did with PS3 and Vita?
I really think the pay wall, plus free games after you buy the pay wall, plus the storage issues next gen will have (you want the full gen 9 experience you need to use expensive solid state drive storage).... this is going to be a challenging generation.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I just don't know if I'll get to put it in my living room. Thing is just not some nearly unnoticeable box. Wife will not be happy and you know the saying... happy wife, happy life...

Might put it on a Samsung 65" 4K curve in my addition but that TV has no HDR. First world problems, I know.

I just piled up my PS+ into 2023 getting 12 month sales when I can do so. What if well before then, they stop supporting PS4 as they did with PS3 and Vita?
I really think the pay wall, plus free games after you buy the pay wall, plus the storage issues next gen will have (you want the full gen 9 experience you need to use expensive solid state drive storage).... this is going to be a challenging generation.
Solid state storage is not expensive, not in the kinds of sizes you’d be looking at to supplement the PS5 storage.

Reactions: gorfias