PSA: Xbox One "Backwards Compatibility" Prank Is Bricking Consoles

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PSA: Xbox One "Backwards Compatibility" Prank Is Bricking Consoles

Xbox's Major Nelson reminds everyone that the Xbox One is not, and never will be, backwards compatible.

A rather cruel "prank" is doing the rounds on the internet, originating from 4chan (where else?) and claiming to "unlock" the Xbox One's backward's compatibility with Xbox 360 titles. The problem is, that it doesn't unlock said compatibility, and will probably brick your console. You can see the image itself to the right, so if you see it being linked on Facebook or Twitter by unknowing friends, be sure to do them a solid and let them know it's fake.

The fake image utilizes the Xbox One developer menus that were discovered earlier in the week, and exploits the average user's gullibility by looking fairly technically and official. It looks like Microsoft wasn't kidding when it asked folks nicely to not muck around with the dev menus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130172-Your-Xbox-One-Can-Be-A-Dev-Kit-Microsoft-Says-Please-Dont-Do-It].

To further clarify things, Xbox One's Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb took to Twitter [https://twitter.com/majornelson/statuses/409055631526465536] to warn gamers that "there is no way to make your Xbox One backwards compatible & performing steps to attempt this could make your console inoperable."

Apparently, what the hack does is simply force your machine to reboot endlessly, essentially "bricking" the console. While some would say it is worrying that Microsoft left such a "feature" in the system, it's very clear that it's not really something the average user would stumble upon anyway.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/12/dont-fall-for-this-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-prank/]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Honestly I consider the fact M$ allowed the developer console enough freedom to brick the console as a positive.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Huh...that sucks.

I'm kind of surprised that there's no way to reset it if you whoops and do this to your system. I wonder if you could ship it to Microsoft and have them reset it somehow...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I wonder how many people could tell the difference between a bricked Xbone and a "working" one.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sigh. If only this was a real thing, I would be much more interested in picking up an Xbox One.

Still, this is a major downer for people who managed to get their hands on one for Christmas, and then end up having it ruined because of a stupid prank.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I think this demonstrates how much a desired feature backward compatibility really is. Too bad console developers so rarely give the people what they really want.

Rekiara

Mar 13, 2012
Am I the only one here who sees something of a problem with having the fake 'brick-your-box' instructions inserted as the large, attention grabbing graphic in this article/post? I mean, yes, it's an article about how it's all a scam and all, but specifically reposting the bad (but still 'official' looking) instructions seems more than a little irresponsible. . .

On topic: I wonder what all the dev console CAN allow? Mildly curious to see how much wiggle room is left in the system.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Oh man, I saw this on Memebase.
Poor guys...

Then again, they got a Xbone to begin with...
Rekiara said:
Am I the only one here who sees something of a problem with having the fake 'brick-your-box' instructions inserted as the large, attention grabbing graphic in this article/post? I mean, yes, it's an article about how it's all a scam and all, but specifically reposting the bad (but still 'official' looking) instructions seems more than a little irresponsible. . .
Well, It's a PSA so they are showing the message as a warning saying "This is fake."
Besides, there is also the massive "PSA: Xbox One "Backwards Compatibility" Prank Is Bricking Consoles" heading on top of it and the article beside it once the user clicks on it.

I don't see the issue

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Rekiara said:

On topic: I wonder what all the dev console CAN allow? Mildly curious to see how much wiggle room is left in the system.
Thats a good point. Still if you follow those instructions without reading the article when the title clearly says it bricks consoles that is particularly careless. it wouldn't hurt to edit the photo though.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
That's not completely true. If you just delete the system 32 file that locks your computer from playing console disks you can play 360 and Bone games on your pc.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
SecondPrize said:
That's not completely true. If you just delete the system 32 file that locks your computer from playing console disks you can play 360 and Bone games on your pc.
Fucking Microsoft, always locking out features!

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Oh man, I saw this on Memebase.
Same here. Best part was the text at the bottom, claiming you could play PS4 and Wii U games.

Poor guys...

Then again, they got a Xbone to begin with...
Yeah, they were screwed one way or another...

I kid, I kid. Even though I'd hardly call the Xbox One something worth purchasing, it still sucks for the people who fell for this.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Rekiara said:

If a reader is stupid enough to do so, don't they deserve it? It is showing the fake instructions so people know what to look for. Perhaps people should take personal responsibility and say, "Well, fuck. I was a dumb ass that didn't read the title or article before I tried these instructions and now I have bricked my own console. Oh woe is me."

OT- But of course the Xbone will never be backwards compatible. MS gotta sell all them 360 games again as digital download only platinum hits. All sarcasm aside, how can MS run the "all in one entertainment system" ad campaign with a straight face when they actively tell people to buy a 360 to play 360 games and then say I should use the Xbone for tv when my tv already does tv? Damn it MS. I want to give you my money but you keep trying to dick me and expect me to like it. Spoiler, I don't.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Bwahaha! I would never! I actually know what those commands do, kind of, I could suss it out anyway. I didn't even need the article to tell me what it actually did to the Xbox.

The best viruses are the ones that rely on the human condition. You know... delete the System 32 folder to increase performance... a little freshly-opened soda in your car's gas tank is an easy and cheap way to clean the filters...

...don't do any of those things, obviously.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Um...
So, I would have been suspicious of these instructions before I saw anything suggesting they were fake, because the I.D it tells you to use includes the word 'reboot.' Right away, that would cause my suspicion meter to crawl its way up to 7, which, coupled with the fact that it came from 4chan, would quickly jump straight to a 10 the moment I Googled it to be safe and saw the first complaint about a bricked system.

Fuckers over there were ready, willing and able to watch a student at my school attempt to burn himself to death, so I'm not surprised they'd deliberately try and mess with people's consoles.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Wait wait wait you can actually get to the developer menu on the xbox one...

now if someone wants to do something useful with this

Someone figure out how to unlock 360 pad support a feature that WAS ACTUALLY IN FACT LOCKED OUT so I can use my damn fight sticks on Killer instinct!!!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
You have to learn somehow. Unfortunately for these people, it was not reading of things that gullible people have done at the advice of 4Chan, but doing those things personally.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh come ON. This is almost as bad as a "delete system32" batch file that claimed it would type a triforce.

"freezone.reboot" raises literally ALL of the flags. ALL of them. And then some more.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rekiara said:

I didn't see a problem with it at first (the article clearly states that it is fake) but I have nonetheless updated the image to further emphasize this

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
Honestly I consider the fact M$ allowed the developer console enough freedom to brick the console as a positive.
I agree. This reminds me of the old days when you could delete system32 on your pc to make it run faster. lol =)