PSA: You can livestream PC games to your Iphone, via internet. True gaming on the go brahs!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks to this little app called Moonlight.

It's like... I remember being in 2nd grade and wishing I had watch like Penny did in Inspector Gadget and how cool it would be to have a game system that powerful be portable.

and now I basically have it. And like most of you, I had such low expectations, I figured if it worked at all it would be unplayable.

I don't think I'd be able to play a FPS online over it and do very well, but I was not only able to have a full match, I was even able to do things based on timing like move reversals and pinfall minigames successfully. Actually I probably could reasonably play something like Overwatch online this way if I stuck to building turrets or Lucio. I'll just need to get a controller.

Just wanted to share. If you got a good enough rig, and internet connection, check out this moonlight app.

And this was not on the same network by the way, I was a good 30 minutes away from home. Not over wifi but through my phone's signal (I have unlimited data).

For Discussion Value: Does anybody else do this, stream their PC games on the go? Does anybody use the Nvidia Shield? I was seriously considering getting one until this happened.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Ok, so how does that work for PC games that requires more than 5 keys to play?(wasd counts as 4)
Well, presumably it works with Bluetooth controllers.

All the same... yah. No.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I mean...I kinda' want to see someone streaming Angry Birds or whatever while driving. Traffic accident, pulled over by cops, doesn't matter. I just want it caught on Stream.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Eh, if I have time to sit down and play a full-fledged PC game, I'm probably going to be at home anyway. Neat, I guess, just not for me.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Ok, so how does that work for PC games that requires more than 5 keys to play?(wasd counts as 4)
Either a blue tooth controller, or the screen gets the overlay of controller buttons you can use.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I want to use a similar idea to play any regular game in virtual reality without buying an expensive headset. You use a google cardboard compatible headset (android) of which you can get plastic versions that have head straps and have a better field of view. You then download an app called Trinus VR and you also download the server software to your PC. For the best performance, you connect your phone to your desktop with a usb cable. Then you put the phone in the headset, change some settings and play a game.

Trinus VR isn't free but you can download it and try it for free. I urge anyone who doesn't have a google cardboard headset to download it, set it up on your computer, play a game and see for yourself how it runs a game in stereoscopic mode on your phone. I did it with GTA V and saw no lag or low framerate at all.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Honestly, I'm a bit amazed by the blah reception to this revelation.

Is it just because I'm part of that old Gameboy Generation that struggled to get the visuals right in the sun, thinking about how cool it would be to play something like DK64 on something that size?

Jesus... even a few years ago when GTA came out on the PSP I was amazed at that, suddenly real Grand Theft Auto in the palm of your hands. To take anywhere. years before that I'd play Max Payne on the Gameboy Advance and Ecks vs Sever just thinking how cool it was I could play a shitty low-res FPS in school.

Kids these days.... get off my lawn..

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
I want to use a similar idea to play any regular game in virtual reality without buying an expensive headset. You use a google cardboard compatible headset (android) of which you can get plastic versions that have head straps and have a better field of view. You then download an app called Trinus VR and you also download the server software to your PC. For the best performance, you connect your phone to your desktop with a usb cable. Then you put the phone in the headset, change some settings and play a game.

Trinus VR isn't free but you can download it and try it for free. I urge anyone who doesn't have a google cardboard headset to download it, set it up on your computer, play a game and see for yourself how it runs a game in stereoscopic mode on your phone. I did it with GTA V and saw no lag or low framerate at all.
\

I mean, I'd be semi-interested in doing it, because I play a lot of GTA Online.... but honestly, how good is it?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
DudeistBelieve said:
Is it just because I'm part of that old Gameboy Generation that struggled to get the visuals right in the sun, thinking about how cool it would be to play something like DK64 on something that size?
No, I've actually been getting back into mobile gaming again buuuut I'm still not going to play PC games on a freakin' cellphone. That sounds terribly inconvenient and a ***** to control and play. High-res modern game on such a small screen while you have to lug a controller around? Now that's silly.

You know what isn't? Emulating SNES games on my PSP. Goddamn that's fun, and still convenient.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
Oh, I am quite interested in the concept, it's just that ...
If you got a good enough rig, and internet connection
... this is my problem and it will be for many, many people.

My rig and internet connection at home are more than up to the task, but the mobile internet in my country is quite frankly garbage by comparison. The speeds available just aren't good enough for any kind of gaming that requires any kind of response time. This means my experience with streaming will be severely diminished as soon as I leave the house. And that's assuming I can even get a connection, which can be a problem on the roads inbetween urban areas. I blame our ISPs and their stubborn refusal to replace our outdated infrastructure.

And that's a pity.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
DudeistBelieve said:
No, I've actually been getting back into mobile gaming again buuuut I'm still not going to play PC games on a freakin' cellphone. That sounds terribly inconvenient and a ***** to control and play. High-res modern game on such a small screen while you have to lug a controller around? Now that's silly.

You know what isn't? Emulating SNES games on my PSP. Goddamn that's fun, and still convenient.
I mean given the choice, always PC.

But if I can play Fallout 4 in a doctors office or the like, ya know situations that drag me away from my beloved rig? I'll freaking take that.

Ezekiel said:
Playing on the go with a little screen and a tiny keypad sounds really shitty.
I tend to forget people are so attached to that fucking keyboard... I still haven't given up my controller ways.

I'll use the mouse here and there, but I love the analog stick to much for movement to ever use WASD keys.

In a perfect world? I want both. Mouse + Analog stick. I'm not sure how that would work. Right now I play overwatch with one hand holding the controller, the other on mouse.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Chimpzy said:
DudeistBelieve said:

My rig and internet connection at home are more than up to the task, but the mobile internet in my country is quite frankly garbage by comparison. The speeds available just aren't good enough for any kind of gaming that requires any kind of response time. This means my experience with streaming will be severely diminished as soon as I leave the house. And that's assuming I can even get a connection, which can be a problem on the roads inbetween urban areas. I blame our ISPs and their stubborn refusal to replace our outdated infrastructure.

And that's a pity.
I'm admittedly in a really good area to live in terms of coverage, and internet providers. I do pay extra for faster internet on the PC, which is probably the sole reason why this is even plausible.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean given the choice, always PC.

But if I can play Fallout 4 in a doctors office or the like, ya know situations that drag me away from my beloved rig? I'll freaking take that.
I doubt that's good for your phone's battery life. But I got a PSP for that, or my ereader. I don't need 'big games' with me all the time. Though I'm currently playing Earthbound and that's pretty damn big. But those are perfect mobile games. You don't need a ton of buttons, they're low-res so no squinting to read text, etc. I honestly can't think of a reason why I'd bother with draining my cellphone, which is needed for more important stuff, for a subpar gaming experience when I have those other things. Boggles my mind really. I think most people have a feeling similar to that, hence the lukewarm reaction to that streaming app. We see already perfectly available mobile experiences (which even includes things like Hearthstone's mobile version) and compare that to the cumbersome, clumsy streaming thing and we just go "Eh."

You mentioned GTA by the way, but it helps to note that it was a GTA that was designed for a mobile platform. Playing GTA5 on a teeny tiny cellphone screen sounds terrible to me and a source of instant eyestrain. But Chinatown Wars? Now that shit was brilliant. Why is that any less 'true gaming' anyway? What's less true about games that are actually designed to be played on the go?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Chimpzy said:
DudeistBelieve said:

And that's a pity.
Are you Australian? Because that sounds exactly like Australian infrastructure. Except add ridiculous phone data allowances that mean you could probably play a game this way for all of five minutes before you've used all your mobile data for the month and they start charging you (a lot!) per megabyte.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
infohippie said:
Are you Australian? Because that sounds exactly like Australian infrastructure. Except add ridiculous phone data allowances that mean you could probably play a game this way for all of five minutes before you've used all your mobile data for the month and they start charging you (a lot!) per megabyte.
You'd think that, but no, I'm not Australian.

I live in Belgium, one of the smallest, most densely populated countries in Europe. Driving to the next town is a matter of minutes. I could get in my car and reach any place in the country in 3 hours or less. And yet, I know many spots where coverage is just dead, as in you can't even get a phone call through, let alone do anything internet-related. Mind you, some of those are actually in the middle of our major cities.

Other than that, the other stuff you mentioned is familiar, yes.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
DudeistBelieve said:

Jesus... even a few years ago when GTA came out on the PSP I was amazed at that, suddenly real Grand Theft Auto in the palm of your hands. To take anywhere. years before that I'd play Max Payne on the Gameboy Advance and Ecks vs Sever just thinking how cool it was I could play a shitty low-res FPS in school.

It's probably because I'm struggling to come up with a situation in which I would ever use such a system. Perhaps while waiting for the bus? Even then, I'm not that addicted to gaming that I'd start getting the shakes and reaching for some kind of portable game controller I'm carrying around like an alcoholic's hipflask so I can set up some convoluted system to stream PC games to my phone. I'd honestly rather just play phone games since they're designed for phones, or better yet, use my phone to write something, or just read something on my phone (or a physical book if I'm willing to carry a portable controller around). Mostly, if I'm waiting for the bus I just use the time to think about whatever's on my mind at the time.

I have no desire to spend that time on a sub par PC gaming experience when there are so many other alternatives.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Well that's certainly nifty. I wouldn't bother with it as I really don't have much desire to play my games when I'm not at home. If I wanted to play them I'd still be at home haha. Plus, if you don't have unlimited data this option gets impractical very quickly.

I have an Nvidia shield. I wanted to replace the tablet I lost in a house fire a couple months back and figured I'd pick this one up since it's really affordable and links up so well with my PC. I do like the tablet, it's a solid device, but I have not once used the game streaming functionality, nor do I like the chunkier than your mother controller. And besides, I'd feel like a fucking idiot carrying a controller around with me in public.

For me, it's a thumbs up on the tablet and a we'll see on the game streaming. I can hook it up to my television to basically use it as a Steam Link, which I might try with some more laid back games soon.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
DudeistBelieve said:

It's probably because I'm struggling to come up with a situation in which I would ever use such a system. Perhaps while waiting for the bus? Even then, I'm not that addicted to gaming that I'd start getting the shakes and reaching for some kind of portable game controller I'm carrying around like an alcoholic's hipflask so I can set up some convoluted system to stream PC games to my phone. I'd honestly rather just play phone games since they're designed for phones, or better yet, use my phone to write something, or just read something on my phone (or a physical book if I'm willing to carry a portable controller around). Mostly, if I'm waiting for the bus I just use the time to think about whatever's on my mind at the time.

I have no desire to spend that time on a sub par PC gaming experience when there are so many other alternatives.
I mean, I work in a field with a good chunk of downtime and I work alone so theres no one to shoot the shit with so... for a while it's just been internet browsing for 3 of my 8 hour shift. If I can get away with gaming, I think there are worse ways to spend a day job.

Thus far I've been using it for nit picky shit. downloading CAWS in WWE 2K16 and setting up career mode so i don't have to do that in my free time.