PSN Attack Shows New Focus for Hackers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PSN Attack Shows New Focus for Hackers

Users trade security for usability, experts warn, and that can give hackers a way in.

Security experts say that rather than try to break into banks and big retailers directly, hackers are increasing targeting social networks and systems like PSN with the goal of digging up personal information that they can use for card fraud and/or identity theft.

Blaine Price, a senior lecturer in computing at the Open University and an expert in data protection, said that networks like PSN represent a trade-off: security versus accessibility. Your online banking service might require a two-stage authentication, he said, but something like PSN would require only one, because anything more would make the system rather unworkable. "It would be a real pain if every time you want to start up a game you had to scan your thumb, type in 15 digits and pull out a card reader," he added. "[But] any time you're just using a user ID and password, it's going to be a risk."

David Emm, a senior security researcher for Kaspersky Labs, said that finding out the password for one account often allowed hackers to get their foot in the door with other accounts too, as people tended to use the same password across multiple services. "The weakest link is always the individual," he said. "Clearly, trying to undermine a bank's security is a lot of effort. Whereas if you go after an individual, it's not going to be noticed, it's going to be easier to do."

While the issue with PSN is hardly going unnoticed, if what Emm says is true, then the hackers may have hit the jackpot. While Sony has only said that the hackers might have obtained gamer's credit card details, it has confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] that a lot of personal information has been compromised, and this could potentially put a lot of other accounts at risk as well.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13213632]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
He's definitely got a point, social networks are treasure troves of information, especially considering how careless some users are with what they expose to the Internet through, for example, Facebook or Twitter, and the sometimes shoddy security practices these sites have (no SSL by default on Facebook).

Also, mis-use of the word "Hacker", but whatever...

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, that's what we need. Even more hackers getting these ideas...

Let's just hope that these guys won't get away with it!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i never use social networking sites, or the same password for anything. so i guess im ok :)

Gaiseric said:
Well...shit...
Can I get some kind of USB thumb scanner?
:/
thats exactly what i was thinking, would be an almost sure fire way of making it secure.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I strongly suspect that the only reason Sony is only officially revealing the possibility that credit card info was stolen from PSN is because if they made a definitive statement about credit card info being stolen they would pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot from a legal standpoint.

At this point, best to just assume the hackers got that too; you can't reasonably expect Sony to be 100% open about that particular aspect of the break in because of the huge liabilities involved.

Anyway, I get what the article is saying about "more accessibility = more vulnerability", but doesn't that just apply to individual accounts? You'd think access to the entire PSN user database would be protected by more than just one password. In other words, this was a lot bigger hacking job than just cracking some poor schlub's Facebook account.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
This just seems to be getting better and better. If all goes awry, and the world comes near to a find financial end because of Sony's problem, then at the very least Sony will have the rights to an awesome T.V. series that is based on a true story.

Jun 11, 2008
You know people could just use more than one password and write them down somewhere if they are unused too often. That would be a help.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Sharalon said:
Yeah, that's what we need. Even more hackers getting these ideas...

Let's just hope that these guys won't get away with it!
They already have. Sony's lax security means forensic analysis is likely to be a dead end for tracking whoever broke PSN.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
It would seem that althought Sony says the hackers might have gotten access, there was a Norwegian headline today that a Norwegian had had at east 11 charges on his PSN since the hack that wasn't done by him. http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/PS3/3365/Fredrik-ble-trukket-elleve-ganger-fra-PS3-kontoen

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
I really can't get my head around why anyone would think hacking Sony would get people of their side.

The people who hacked Sony are now pretty much hated by anyone who plays PS3 It just doesn't make any sense at all............

It would be me like trying to improve my house by knocking It down or something stupid

Can anyone explain how making people angry at you Is good for your cause ?

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Users trade security for usability, experts warn, and that can give hackers a way in.

While you're loving how easy consoles make your game-playing, you have to remember that that's why things like the PSN account debacle can happen.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
While I am annoyed some random **** has my address etc. This has already happened to me (when play.com got hacked I needed to cancel my card just in case, however this time sony don't have my card details and they say there is no evidence that data was taken). I don't see why this is 10000000000x worse than the play.com/gawker hack, nothing is "unhackable".

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Slowly getting round to blaming the right people. What I really would like to know is when psn is going to be back online and what sony are going to do to improve security without ripping out more features of my playstation.

-sigh - a week more weeks of psn down and we might be facing a 'Children of Steam' like scenario. Damn you prophetic comic!

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Slowly getting round to blaming the right people.
You mean the users? How the hell does this have anything to do with the users? This is about Sony's security getting completely fucking breached. They gained access to the entire database of user accounts. They didn't social engineer every user to gain access to their account. They just broke into Sony's uber system and stole everything! Users often are the weakest link in the security chain, but point the finger at the right people here.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Dorkmaster Flek said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Slowly getting round to blaming the right people.
You mean the users? How the hell does this have anything to do with the users? This is about Sony's security getting completely fucking breached. They gained access to the entire database of user accounts. They didn't social engineer every user to gain access to their account. They just broke into Sony's uber system and stole everything! Users often are the weakest link in the security chain, but point the finger at the right people here.
No I was refering to the fact that it seems the attention has now switched to the people who hacked the netowrk instead a solely focusing on sony's handling of the situation, I never even mentioned user having any blame, maybe a worded it poorly but I fail to see how anything I said implied that the users are to blame for this. Rather as user myself of psn, I like many other users just wish to know how our information was comprimised and how sony is going to make sure repeat scenarios do not happen, and look forward to when these hackers/indentify thieves are caught up with and dealt with appropriately.