PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

Sony's PlayStation Network is down around the world, and the company hasn't ruled out targeted attacks as the cause.

If you've tried to log into PSN since last night, you may have noticed that you can't log into PSN. The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

While Sony has only been referring to the PSN problems as an "outage," and says that it is still investigating the cause, the electronics giant hasn't ruled out deliberate interference. In a message on the EU PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/21/update-on-psn-service-outages/] (which has since been edited), PSN manager James Gallagher said that one potential cause could be an attack by a third party.

"Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behavior by an outside party," wrote Gallagher. "If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.

"Our engineers are continuing to work to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support."

If this is the result of an attack, it would be odd considering that Anonymous publicly announced that it would cease attacks affecting PlayStation customers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109056-Anonymous-Halts-Sony-Attacks-Affecting-PSN-Users] more than a week ago. However, that doesn't mean that a similar group - or a splinter branch of Anonymous - couldn't be doing the same in its absence.

(Edit: Asia-based user tghm1801 confirmed that yes, PSN is down there too.)

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-21-is-anonymous-behind-psn-outage])

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Considering I couldn't play Portal 2 with my friends even when PSN was up, whatever.
Thankfully, once the Steam version finished downloading, I completely abandoned playing it on my PS3 and have been happy ever since.

egres peanuts

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I bet it's steam integration!
Valve's plan finally reveals itself as GLaDOS takes over PSN.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o_O

Easier to blame others than yourself.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o_O

This.

Anon is top notch when it comes to claiming responsibility. If it was them I don't doubt they would have said something by now.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
i wanna play arcana heart 3

76% and this crap happens. id better be reimbursed for something like this

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Mister Benoit said:

Croaker42 said:
Mister Benoit said:

This.

Anon is top notch when it comes to claiming responsibility. If it was them I don't doubt they would have said something by now.
Sony didn't blame anyone. Sony Germany even announced PSN was down because of 'unexpected maintenance'. But hey, fuck them - they're a company, and companies are assholes.

Edit:
HankMan said:
Anonymous said they weren't going to to target PSN anymore, and I'd take their word over Sony's thinly veiled insinuations any day of the week!
Yeah. I would take anybody's word over Sony's, if that anybody needed an entire 24-hour DDoS attack on a customer-targeted service to figure out the attack affects the customer.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Makes sense. Their "in person protest" was a complete flop so they went back to doing something that they can actually pull off: a DDoS.

"Turn left here!" -- Anonymous Guy 1

"No, turn right here!" -- Anonymous Guy 2

"No, turn left here!" -- Anonymous Guy 1

"No, turn right here!" -- Anonymous Guy 2

"Christ! One of you dumb fucks should have got directions from Mapquest.
I'm gonna take a nap. Wake me up when we get there." -- Anonymous Guy 3

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Anonymous isn't lead by anybody, and they don't have a direct goal. There is no splinter group or anything. Any action taken by any member is an act of Anon. They're anarchists, and they used to like it that way. If Anonymous ever puts out a statement saying they're against something or that they won't do something, that's just one dude making a decision. Everyone has the personal option to either listen or not.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
John Funk said:
If you've tried to log into PSN since last night, you may have noticed that you can't log into PSN. The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

Been trying all day. All I wanted is to take my little robot and fly at the speed of sound. Is that really so much to ask? Apparently, if a group of people on there computers protesting something is concerned, yes. Yes it is.

Calumon: Awww, but Jack let's me play Portal! This is mean... : (

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dexter111 said:
I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often, it would certainly raise awareness that the ability to play your games shouldn't be bound to a single centralized system which screws over everyone when it's down.
Are you suggesting that two independent network systems be created so that there'll always be a back-up if one goes down? That's the same argument I used on my bank when I was trying to convince them that lending me $250,000 so that I could buy a Lamborghini to have sitting around in case my everyday car broke down was a brilliant idea. For some strange reason, they weren't convinced of the brilliance.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.
So does this mean it still works in Australia? Because if so damn them to hell!

Wait, they're already there... nevermind then.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
If this is the case because of Anonymous or a splinter group, this is probably the final suck on the death cock.