PSN Games Won't Transfer to PS4

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
PSN Games Won't Transfer to PS4

Some PSN titles may run in the future, but not at launch.

If you've been following all the a lot of exciting new games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122261-Updated-PlayStation-4-Becomes-Reality] lined up. This is an incredibly good thing, since anyone wanting to play his or her existing PSN games on it is out of luck. While Sony has plans to make PSN games playable at a later time, neither the games nor their associated save files will transfer over to the new console.

To begin, PS3 titles - both hard discs and downloaded content - will not be compatible with the PS4 due to significant differences in the hardware's processing capabilities. Eventually, some PS3 titles will make the jump, but only ones that the PS4 can emulate without radically overstretching its processor. As far as PSN titles go, Sony will focus its energies on ensuring that the PS4-specific games and functionality work before providing ways to play older titles in the "longer term."

Given that the PSN library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games is very extensive and many users have games-in-progress they'd like to transfer, this lack of functionality could be a significant handicap at the system's launch. Bear in mind that these games will eventually become available, but there's no hard timeframe as of yet.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I can see how this could be an issue for a lot of people. No one wants to deal with games they can't play since they bought them in the past. I can understand backwards compatability not being allowed, but there are those who are going to be upset not being able to play their Journey and Classic games right from the get go. Hopefully this won't sway too many to not buy it. I still would get it regardless, since hopefully in the future this will be corrected.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Another victory for the PC master race! Seriously, I don't think this will be that big of a deal as long as Sony gets it working within the first couple of months. Most people will still have there old consoles for a while, but long-term wise this can really hurt them if they don't get it working.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
In which case there better be some amazing exclusives, or else I will just switch completely to PC gaming. What I have seen so far hasn't exactly convinced me that it's a better idea to get a PS4 than to simply upgrade my computer.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
I heard this a lot when the PS3 dropped backward compatibility, & it's a valid argument. A lot of people would agree, but a lot of other people are gonna have a problem with losing all the digitally distributed games & content they've amassed; if Sony is smart, they'll keep PS3/PSN support a priority until they can establish some kind of virtual console set-up. If not, I don't see a lot of people making the switch any time soon

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sony better have some amazing exclusives for this or I'm not gonna be getting the PS4 and I'll be sticking to the PS3 and PS2. I mean if I'd have to buy all the games I have again then I'd definitely be miffed since I'd have all that progress. I enjoy backwards compatibility because then I don't need to own as many consoles.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Even the Wii can Transfer it's eShop and Virtual Console Games to the WiiU! If Sony really wants to focus on a Console for the Consumer, why are they going to such lengths to make people not buy it on day one?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I seriously can't keep hogging all these old consoles, Sony!

I understand that with new hardware there comes new compatibility issues, especially when you're looking at 3 previous generations, but Microsoft made the same promise with the original Xbox games on the 360. There were some terrible emulations there, when they even got around to sorting them out in the first place.

This won't be a deal-breaker for me, but it would earn Sony some serious points if they could at least get PS3 games to play on the PS4.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Not really going to be a problem since I will be buying a PS4 for PS4 games. Backwards comparability is a complete irrelevancy to me.
Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"
The lack of compatibility doesn't mean that I won't get a ps4 but it does mean that it will be a while. I have less space than I used to and I don't want to clutter up my flat so I am trying to keep the number of consoles I have down. I got the Wii U at launch pretty much because I could even it out by getting rid of my Wii.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Same here. I don't know why people complain a lot about these things. My Question is, "Will my Trophies/Account carry over?"
Well, since the PS4 Can't play PS3 or PSN games, I'm inclined to say "nope." However, since I do not know if you can transfer your profiles from PS3 to the PS4 (Which I am inclined to also say "Nope."), I am not 100% sure...

Apr 28, 2008
What this basically means is don't buy anything off the PSN store anymore and wait a good year or two to buy a PS4 so you actually have games to play on the thing.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Okay, I know I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but surely if the PS4 is as incredibly powerful as Sony want us to believe, then why would it be "over stretching" the machine's processor to play older games? I mean, seriously, if the Wii-U can do it, why not the PS4?

And where does this leave certain next-gen titles like (if the rumours are to be believed about it being next-gen) Dragon Age 3, where you really need to import old PS3 save files to get the most out of the game?

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Totally agree with you on that point. You know how many PS1 games I had the urge to play after getting a PS2? 0. Likewise for the jump from 2 to 3. My PS3 is not going to instantly disappear if I get a PS4, so I'll still be able to break it out if needed (just like my PS2 that's sitting in my closet, unused for 5+ years).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is a little disappointing, I really want to buy the Persona's off the PSN, but they're the sort of title I'd want to keep around. The promise of it in the future might be good though

Mr.Mattress said:
kiri2tsubasa said:
Well, since the PS4 Can't play PS3 or PSN games, I'm inclined to say "nope." However, since I do not know if you can transfer your profiles from PS3 to the PS4 (Which I am inclined to also say "Nope."), I am not 100% sure...
PS4 can play PSN games, but you have to re-buy them like you had to with the Wii U and the Wii to have the new functionality and stuff. You just can't carry over the PSN games from your PS3 to your PS4.

I just want to be able to keep my "level" and list of trophies that I have obtained over the years. It would be annoying if it all just "disappeared".
Are you sure about that? From the article it sounded like most PSN titles wouldn't play on the PS4.

The thing is, the PS3 has a super weird design, so any game that runs on it now will have to be altered considerably to play on something else, so I can't imagine PSN titles will run off the bat.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Kmadden2004 said:
Okay, I know I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but surely if the PS4 is as incredibly powerful as Sony want us to believe, then why would it be "over stretching" the machine's processor to play older games? I mean, seriously, if the Wii-U can do it, why not the PS4?

And where does this leave certain next-gen titles like (if the rumours are to be believed about it being next-gen) Dragon Age 3, where you really need to import old PS3 save files to get the most out of the game?
you'd think that a PC could play old PC games without issue, concidering the requirements from the past are significaly less then they are today. but try to load up an old game without proper emulation will either result in the game not functioning, or a crash. Just because the hardware is more powerful doesn't mean it'll run everything smoothly. Sometimes a machine can be too powerful and overclock settings into an unplayable state. The story is that some titles from the PSN won't be playable "right away" meaning that they are focusing on making sure the launch games arn't buggy and laggy, while saving their "longer lasting" classic titles for another day, when they've ironed out internal emulation.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
I blame the PS3 cell processor. Its done nothing but make thing difficult for those making game for the PS3. I'm fine with not being able to play PS3, PS2, or PS1 games but I wonder about digital only PSN games Joe Danger and the like. I'd be bummed if I can't play those.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
PS4 can play PSN games, but you have to re-buy them like you had to with the Wii U and the Wii to have the new functionality and stuff. You just can't carry over the PSN games from your PS3 to your PS4.

I just want to be able to keep my "level" and list of trophies that I have obtained over the years. It would be annoying if it all just "disappeared".
Actually, for the Wii, you can just transfer the stuff to an SD Card, and then transfer that to the WiiU, so you can Transfer games from the Wii to the WiiU, unlike this console. You can also Re-buy on the WiiU, but you don't have to if you can simply transfer it.

Also, the Article says that they plan on releasing the PSN games "At a Later Time", meaning just like the WiiU with it's eShop, the PSN won't be out right at launch. This, coupled with the fact that it can't transfer data, and we don't know if it can transfer Profiles, probably means that your list of trophies and levels will just "Disappear", and that you'd have to start all over.