PSP-4000 Update and PSP2 Rumored

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
PSP-4000 Update and PSP2 Rumored

Despite Sony recently stating the contrary, Eurogamer reports that the PlayStation Portable is due for not only an update, but a successor as well.

Ask an adopter of Sony's recent PlayStation Portable update, Eurogamer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP-3000_series], that wish may come true as their publishing sources (who are to remain anonymous, of course) tell them to expect a new model of the PlayStation Portable in late 2009. As far as rumors go there's plenty to believe in as Sony has refreshed the console in the Fall season for the past two years running.

The second part of Eurogamer's report is a bit more difficult to swallow. According to the same sources, Sony is currently planning a successor to the PSP and what's more, developers are already at work on games for it. This flies directly in the face of an interview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88096-Sony-Not-Planning-PSP-2] done last week with SCEE president David Reeves, in which he said that, "there are currently no plans for a PSP2. I go to Tokyo quite a lot and no one has referred to it - I think they have their hands full at the moment."

As the PlayStation Portable continues to be a silent success for Sony, everyone is expecting them to come out with a new system eventually, but for now there's no rush. The system has been bolstered in Japan due to the success of Capcom's Monster Hunter series and in the rest of the world, its multimedia capabilities (and ease of pirate trickery) continues to push it towards strong sales. When asked for a comment on these rumors, Sony UK told Eurogamer that it would not comment on rumor or speculation.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Copter400 said:
Where the damn is our second goddamn analog stick?
LOL my thoughts exactly. throw one of those on the system, put out some decent games, and i might actually be sold!

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
kapzer said:
They've already denied that the PSP2 is in the works :/
You should at least pretend like you actually bothered to read the story before you frantically jump to make a comment.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Copter400 said:
Give me a single working analog stick before we get a second.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
harhol said:
uppitycracker said:
Copter400 said:
LOL my thoughts exactly. throw one of those on the system, put out some decent games, and i might actually be sold!
Using the existing analog stick for more than ten minutes leads to irreparable tendon damage. I'd actually prefer it if they got rid of the analog stick and just admitted that the PSP is best used a portable PSX emulator.
i never actually found a game on the PSP that could catch my attention for that long, so that's news to me :p