PSP Go Price Slashed in U.S. and Japan

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

A rocky first year for Sony's download only handheld is ending in a slightly cheaper future.

Sony has announced that it is cutting the price of the PSP Go in Japan and the United States in time for the holidays. The US price will drop from $249 to $199, and the Japanese price will drop from ¥26,800 to ¥16,800. As yet, there's no mention of a price cut in any other territories.

The PSP Go launched a year ago, and has seemingly found little success since then. Retailers in Australia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94934-EB-Games-Australia-to-Boycott-PSPgo-Too] and Europe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94745-Biggest-Dutch-Retailer-Rejects-PSPgo] boycotted the device, and a U.K. based online retailer called the machine "dead on arrival [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94805-UK-Retailer-Says-PSP-Go-Will-Be-Dead-on-Arrival]." While Sony has never released any official sales figures for the PSPGo, comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101206-Sony-PSPgos-Failure-Was-a-Success] made by SCEE's Andrew House earlier in the year about how Sony had learned a lot from the PSP Go and how that was something you couldn't measure with sales, implied that the numbers weren't huge.

The price for the PSP Go has always been a little too high for what you got, thanks to Sony charging a "premium [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92735-Sony-PSP-Go-Costs-More-Because-of-a-Premium]" for the device, so dropping it might be a last-ditch effort by Sony to give sales a boost. There are also the rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104054-Rumor-PSP2-Rocking-Hands-By-Holiday-2011] that the PSP2 is on the horizon, which would be another reason that Sony would want to shift old stock. Either way, if you're in the market for a handheld gaming device that accepts almost no forms of physical media, then this would appear to be your lucky day.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69O0VE20101025?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+reuters/technologyNews+(News+/+US+/+Technology)&utm_content=Google+Reader] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271452?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
And that is still $199 too much.

Since Birth By Sleep isn't even on the service.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Kind of ironic trying to charge a premium for what by all accounts is a device entirely inferior to it's predecessor...

At least the various DS iterations mostly had something going for them...

Makes you wonder where Sony gets such insane ideas from.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Headline said:
"Slashed"? I don't think that word means what you think it means. $199 is still a fucking insult to consumers.

I think it's time to kill the PSP brand. They need to focus on the PS3, and the PSP was a great system (I bought one at launch), but hell has the thing ever stagnated. Over it's entire life span it's had a few very memorable games, but nothing too ground breaking, and nothing that couldn't have been a downloadable game for the PS3 anyways.

Overall: Fuck the PSPgo. Even if they do make a PSP2, I would hope that they can tell the PSPgo was a failure, and plan the next accordingly.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Yep, sorry but 200$ is still too much. Especially at this point.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Still won't get people to buy it, Sony. It's a useless pile of shit and you know it.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I've been thinking of buying one for a while, but Sony really don't help themselves. Too expensive, and they can't even be bothered to put a price list of their games on their website so you can't compare if it's cheaper to download online or buy a physical copy.

I want to support you Sony, I really do, but you're making it too hard for us.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Terramax said:
I've been thinking of buying one for a while, but Sony really don't help themselves. Too expensive, and they can't even be bothered to put a price list of their games on their website so you can't compare if it's cheaper to download online or buy a physical copy.*

I want to support you Sony, I really do, but you're making it too hard for us.
There's a reason they do that, and I'll give ya three guesses...

*Emphasis mine.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Wow, I'd completely forgotten this thing even existed...
What does it do again?
(I guess this is understandable, because the article says that they don't sell them anymore where I live.)

Oct 14, 2010
I wouldn't buy one until they dropped the price to... "$9.99, sucka!"

RIP, Marcus. Really, even if they're still airing those commercials, just go. Please.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A price cut isn't going to save your sinking ship.

Sorry Sony. But the PSP (all of them) is still a piece of shit. Terrible controls, mediocre game support and you pretty much torpedoed a golden opportunity to preempt Apple at their own game or create an entirely different viable market when you forced your customers to use your shitty default OS.
(PSP OS 1.49 and prior has more legal, open-source opportunities than the iPhone did on launch, and could still play movies, games, and Skype to boot. Why did you not capitalize on this? It's not like you came anywhere near to beating piracy on the PSP. There are assholes who brag about cracking every UMD you've put out there.)

Instead, your attempts to monopolize on distribution have done little to enamor yourself to your customers (I hope you like the Playstation Network).

By the way, good luck with PSP2. It might actually be better if you don't release it at all, now that Nintendo has completely ruined your market share before you've even begun.
They've been promoting the hell out of their system, and you've got nothing to show.

PSP2 had better blow me away with its launch titles, features, controls and relative product quality, or not happen at all.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
A price cut isn't going to save your sinking ship.

Sorry Sony. But the PSP (all of them) is still a piece of shit. Terrible controls, mediocre game support and you pretty much torpedoed a golden opportunity to preempt Apple at their own game or create an entirely different viable market when you forced your customers to use your shitty default OS.
(PSP OS 1.49 and prior has more legal, open-source opportunities than the iPhone did on launch, and could still play movies, games, and Skype to boot. Why did you not capitalize on this? It's not like you came anywhere near to beating piracy on the PSP. There are assholes who brag about cracking every UMD you've put out there.)

Instead, your attempts to monopolize on distribution have done little to enamor yourself to your customers (I hope you like the Playstation Network).

By the way, good luck with PSP2. It might actually be better if you don't release it at all, now that Nintendo has completely ruined your market share before you've even begun.
They've been promoting the hell out of their system, and you've got nothing to show.

PSP2 had better blow me away with its launch titles, features, controls and relative product quality, or not happen at all.
If you actually pay attention to the PSP's games, you'd know that calling them mediocre is a statement that makes you look like you haven't been paying attention to the past 4 years. Especially when comparing the quality of games to that of the Nintendo DS' games.I mean really, Nintendogs is the highest selling DS game. From Crisis Core, to Monster Hunter, to God Of War, to Ys Seven, there have been tons of PSP games that prove what the PSP can do. The problem isn't the PSP. The problem is that it's directly competing with company that has been doing handheld gaming pretty much by itself for the past 30 years.

And you can't really call Sony trying to monopolize digital distrobution gaming if the Apple has been doing so for the past 5 years. Nintendo had a monopoly on Handheld gaming in general up until 6 years ago. I think this "kill the PSP brand" talk is getting stupid. Because when you really think about it, the PSP has been the only other handheld console to stand up to the DS. I'd call that a massive success. Do you remember the N-Gage? Neo Geo Pocket? I know that the PSPGo was a stupid idea, but every company has it's massive at some point. The iPad for example. The Microsoft Zune. The Virtual Boy. And now the PSPGo. Technology is one of those things that progresses. What I think Sony really should be doing is lowering the price of the Memory sticks. That was If anyone does want to just download a game to their PSP, a sufficently sized Memory stick won't burn a fire in your wallet.

"(I hope you like the Playstation Network)"

Well considering that it's better than Wiiware and more indie developers are going to the PSN rather than XBL, yes actually I like the PSN.

Sounds like you're just xenophobic of the PSP solidifying a place in the handheld gaming market. I wouldn't be wishing a company to scrap a brand based off of their first failure. I'll just wait to see how many people actually buy the $250 3DS when it comes out now, just to see if people become hypocites real fast.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
One of the worst gaming devices ever devised. I have nothing against Sony, but it honestly felt gratifying for me to see the PSP Go crash and burn. I guess I dreaded the idea of this even becoming a standard setup. Can you imagine that nightmare?

Future generations will put this thing alongside the Virtual Boy and Gizmondo.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
If you actually pay attention to the PSP's games, you'd know that calling them mediocre is a statement that makes you look like you haven't been paying attention to the past 4 years.
It's a subjective statement, I admit. But why not look at it in detail?
See next point.

Especially when comparing the quality of games to that of the Nintendo DS' games.I mean really, Nintendogs is the highest selling DS game. From Crisis Core, to Monster Hunter, to God Of War, to Ys Seven, there have been tons of PSP games that prove what the PSP can do. The problem isn't the PSP. The problem is that it's directly competing with company that has been doing handheld gaming pretty much by itself for the past 30 years.
I have played every single game you have named except for Ys Seven.

Crisis Core and God of War are pathetically easy and boring (yes, God of War bores the hell out of me). If you really want to argue specifics why, go ahead and push me. I can deal.

Monster Hunter...well. I can play that on PS2 or Wii and it won't fucking cripple my left index finger doing that "Claw Camera" bullshit.

I have never before played a game system that physically harmed me until PSP.

However, I do agree about trying to crack Nintendo's Monopoly. Their own game selection, while better on average, isn't all THAT much better once you factor out the remakes/re-releases and first party titles.

And you can't really call Sony trying to monopolize digital distrobution gaming if the Apple has been doing so for the past 5 years.
At best, your argument is a fallacy (Strawman argument..Apple has nothing to do with this example). At worst, you completely missed the point.

Let me make this clear: Sony tried to cut retailers out of distribution so they could reap the difference in profits themselves. That's a monopoly in distribution.

Thankfully, just about nobody bought into it. I genuinely feel sorry for those who did.

Nintendo had a monopoly on Handheld gaming in general up until 6 years ago. I think this "kill the PSP brand" talk is getting stupid.
As hard as this is to believe, I really REALLY wanted to enjoy and use my PSP.
I tried to find games I liked (why wouldn't anyone?), but most of the crap I did find were developed for PS2, and lazily ported over.
The system has amazing potential; but it's drowned out by a terrible control scheme and an arrogant parent company who does not listen to its user base.

Well considering that it's better than Wiiware and more indie developers are going to the PSN rather than XBL, yes actually I like the PSN.
"Going to?" Well yeah. Microsoft decided that they wanted a bigger cut of the raw profits from the XBLA titles, so that's natural. Wiiware is a bad joke. Actually, Nintendo+Global Networking = hilariously broken (FRIEND CODES!!!).

Come to think of it, I'm not really fond of any of the Big Three's proprietary networks...

PSP Go was designed to kill Used Game sales for its own system.
Fine. Sony hates Used Game Sales. I can understand that.

But here's the devious part: Sony charged me the equivalent of retail markup for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSN.
Shouldn't the price have been LOWERED even slightly since they cut out the middleman?

Nope. The only difference now is that Sony gets a bigger cut (Oh, and NOT the developer. They iron out all that business with the publisher before they even release).
And should their network go down, or be discontinued (a very real possibility now) in the near future, you're fucked. Plain and simple.

Sounds like you're just xenophobic of the PSP solidifying a place in the handheld gaming market.
Xenophobic? Of a game system? Did you seriously just accuse me of that?
Why the hell would I be AFRAID of a game system?

I would LOVE to have access to a PS2-size library of games on the go. I would LOVE to play something other than Nintendo's 1rd party remakes and/or 3rd party kiddie-shit.
But when Sony deliberately and consistently ignores real, objective problems with their system you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wouldn't be wishing a company to scrap a brand based off of their first failure. I'll just wait to see how many people actually buy the $250 3DS when it comes out now, just to see if people become hypocrites real fast.
Except it's technically not their first failure now is it?
Let me throw this into the mix: Even after TWO Major Revisions of the PSP, they never once addressed the control problem.
Nevermind everything else, this is something integral to the system's operation.
Sony obviously doesn't care anymore, so why the fuck should I?

Although it's not relevant, I'll humor your little "calling me out" gag.

I'm not buying the 3DS on launch. I won't even buy it post-launch unless the NEW GAME library is initially strong. Actually, I don't buy ANY game system unless I can find at least four "Must-have" (personally subjective, not based on popular opinion) titles.
3DS is up to 1 "Maybe". No "Must-haves" yet.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
While I agree that the argument of PSP games quality vs. DS games quality is subjective, when you make this statement:
Their own game selection, while better on average, isn't all THAT much better once you factor out the remakes/re-releases and first party titles.
You're forgetting that Nintendo pretty much lives off of remakes and 1st party. If you look at the DS' best selling games list, it's almost exclusively 1st party games. Look at the top selling PSP games and it's a decent mix of third and first party games with no remakes, and 2 ports.

And you don't seem to know how a monopoly works. Cutting out retailers doesn't create a monopoly. Especially if UMDs are still being produced alongside digital releases. A monopoly of distribution would be if the PSPGo was the "PSP 2" and had no physical releases what so ever.

As hard as this is to believe, I really REALLY wanted to enjoy and use my PSP.
I tried to find games I liked (why wouldn't anyone?), but most of the crap I did find were developed for PS2, and lazily ported over.
The system has amazing potential; but it's drowned out by a terrible control scheme and an arrogant parent company who does not listen to its user base.
Then clearly you aren't looking all that hard. If your trying to find games to play are are still finding yourself playing PS2 ports you may need to look a bit harder. Especially with unique games like Patchwork Heroes and Holy Badman, as well as Half Minute Hero and MGS Peace Walker. I actually don't think the control scheme is all that bad. You don't sell 62 million of a product if you can't use it due to controls now can you? And what has the user base been complaining about with the PSP? I remember people bitching about no 2nd analog stick, but really with games like Resistance: Retribution proving that shooters can be done well with it, there's not much of a point in complaining about something that isn't needed.

PSP Go was designed to kill Used Game sales for its own system.
Fine. Sony hates Used Game Sales. I can understand that.

But here's the devious part: Sony charged me the equivalent of retail markup for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSN.
Shouldn't the price have been LOWERED even slightly since they cut out the middleman?
Well, here in Canada the prices here actually WERE cheaper in digital form. [former Go Owning experience]. I can't speak for other regions.

The rest of your argument I can agree with. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the 3DS needs something more than remakes to carry it's $250 price tag.