PSP Vita Will Have One Account Limit

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
PSP Vita Will Have One Account Limit

Sony's upcoming handheld will only allow users to have one active PSN account at any time on their device.

A recent PSP Vita demonstration held in Osaka, Japan provided more evidence that Sony's new handheld device may be heading towards a rough launch.

A NeoGAF member attending the event was given a catalog detailing information about the Vita's features and its upcoming titles. According to the document's FAQ, however, only one Playstation Network account can be active on a Vita system at any given time. To use a different account, users will "need to format the system to factory settings," preventing users from sharing their PSP Vita with friends and family with their own user accounts. Both the PlayStation 3 or PSP allow multiple users to share the same system.

This may not seem like a huge deal, but the account limit also ends up region-locking the Vita from some of the content Sony plans to offer through its digital service, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114523-Rumor-Vitas-Digital-Games-Will-Be-Cheaper] such as downloadable games available only to Europe or Asia. Users who were once able to set up multiple PSN accounts to access region-specific content on the PS3 or PSP will more or less be formatting their Vita often if they'd like to use the Vita to the same effect.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/05/report-vita-limited-to-one-psn-account-per-console/]

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Man it's like Sony wants to wreck every piece of potential this thing had. I mean ya the 3DS had a rough launch but that's no reason to turn it into a contest

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
So to combat piracy you have to pay insane amounts of money for the memory stick.
And to piss people off you can only have one account on a handheld device that may get used by more than one person. Good job $ony, I was interested in this, but well. I'll just waste the money on another useless upgrade for my PC instead.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Doesn't the current psp already do this?
My wife got free psp games from the PSN apology but doesn't have a psp of her own. When she tried uploading them to mine, it wouldn't allow her without switching the thing/psp to her account and reformatting.
And I have one of the Ollld original PSPs.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Shouldn't they have given us all this shit first, then give us all the promising features? Why are they discouraging us from buying this so soon to launch?

Apr 28, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
I see this as nothing more then an anti game sharing move. One of the biggest problems with having multiple accounts on the ps3 is that one person could buy a game and share it with four others. I dont actually see only having one account on the vita as an issue because honestly how many people share their portable devise with others often enough for this to be a problem.
Every family with more than one child who likes games? Every parent will make their kids share the really expensive handheld, because buying one for everyone is, well, really expensive.

Though it remains to be seen if it'll be like the PSP's one file only thing. Probably not, since piracy on the PSP is pretty much second only to PC piracy. So they'll probably not do the same thing again.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
I see this as nothing more then an anti game sharing move. One of the biggest problems with having multiple accounts on the ps3 is that one person could buy a game and share it with four others. I dont actually see only having one account on the vita as an issue because honestly how many people share their portable devise with others often enough for this to be a problem.
i have multiple accounts on my PS3 because there are very few demo versions in the German PSN and for stuff like the uncharted or resistance beta Sony makes us jump through spiked flaming hoops or just doesn't allow us to take part outright. that is what other accounts are for, and if i really want to share my vita (if i ever get one) with my sister this wouldn't stop stop, unless they plan to limit all games to one save slot people will share games with their family members.
I know it's different with a handheld because you carry those around with you instead of them sitting in the living room but still.

Dec 14, 2009
I thought Sony wanted this device to be a success?

Now I all I hear is news on how Sony is making every dick move in the book to try and dissuade people from giving them money.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
And now the PSP Vita has joined Mass Effect three on the list of things I am likely not to buy until about two to three years after release. Such a shame as well, since I was looking forward to having someone decent to play final fantasy seven on while I'm on a long train ride.

I guess I'll go look into something slightly less evil these days. hmm, I wonder if google will be putting out a console sometime soon.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Unfortunately that doesn't help though, because a lot of people may have been using multiple accounts in different regions...

But you are correct, for most this shouldn't be an issue, and I whole heartedly agree with it, honestly, why do my friends or family who are playing it once and a while need an account.

Still a day one purchase for me.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I'm not too bothered. If homebrew communities are anything to go by, they'll crack this in the course of a month or so, come hell or high water.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I like how every time I think about getting this, sony does something to save me money, thanks sony.

Apr 28, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
Irridium said:
Every family with more than one child who likes games? Every parent will make their kids share the really expensive handheld, because buying one for everyone is, well, really expensive.

Though it remains to be seen if it'll be like the PSP's one file only thing. Probably not, since piracy on the PSP is pretty much second only to PC piracy. So they'll probably not do the same thing again.
So why do they need seperate accounts? As long as you can have more then one save file for a game this is not a problem in any way. Mabey some people are far more uptight about this type of thing but for me I cant really understand why it would be an issue.
People just don't like being told what to do with the things they buy by the seller after they're bought. And then being forced to no matter what.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
Man it's like Sony wants to wreck every piece of potential this thing had. I mean ya the 3DS had a rough launch but that's no reason to turn it into a contest
Oh, the 3DS has nothing to do with it.

This is a Sony thing. "We have an awesome handheld coming out? Let's see how we can ruin it!"

They probably came up with these things before the 3DS was even announced.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I thought Sony wanted this device to be a success?

Now I all I hear is news on how Sony is making every dick move in the book to try and dissuade people from giving them money.
Its as if Sony, EA and Ubisoft are all competing to see who can be the biggest dicks to their customers without their company falling under...and its such an even race so far...