Psychonauts 2 Crowfunding Campaign Announced

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Double fine wants more money to make a sequel for a great game many years after the fact? Sure, why not, I loved that game, I'll support it...

Oh, just one little detail. Probably a trifle really, but I don't think Tim Schafer is financially responsible enough to handle the project. Beside being far too frivolous with money (seriously, didn't he hire strippers at one point before requesting more money or something? Coulda sworn I seen something on that a while ago), he is a bit of a raging asshole and a PR hazard.

Honestly, the company would look far more worthy of investing into without that dead weight. Lose him and I might just toss some bones to the project...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I want Psychonauts 2. But I don't want to give Tim Schafer money. Sorry, but I'm keeping my money. Tim Schafer can either hire an accountant to manage the funds or fuck off.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Tim blew most of the trust many of his fans had in him. Too bad he didn't start with this.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
runic knight said:
Double fine wants more money to make a sequel for a great game many years after the fact? Sure, why not, I loved that game, I'll support it...

Oh, just one little detail. Probably a trifle really, but I don't think Tim Schafer is financially responsible enough to handle the project. Beside being far too frivolous with money (seriously, didn't he hire strippers at one point before requesting more money or something? Coulda sworn I seen something on that a while ago), he is a bit of a raging asshole and a PR hazard.

Honestly, the company would look far more worthy of investing into without that dead weight. Lose him and I might just toss some bones to the project...
The problem is there is no board of directors at Double Fine, Tim is in 100% control of the companies decisions. I think having some extra advice and maybe someone taking more of the weight of the money management side Tim could focus more on making games.

I am a fan of Double Fine but do think they would fare better without Tim.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So get this, Double Fine added an extra 5 to 7 days to the projects fund raising deadline.

December 4 - 32 days http://web.archive.org/web/20151204024830/https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

December 6 - 37 days http://web.archive.org/web/20151206083315/https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Must be nice to have your own fund raising website. So if they don't make the deadline will they just keep increasing it there by locking everyone in to the project?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
There are two reasons I'm seeing given as to why Double Fine shouldn't be funded for this:

1. Tim Schafer has a poor track record with managing crowd-funding projects
2. He said some mean things with a sock-puppet once.

Of course only one of these reasons is a valid concern, but you can always tell where people who use the valid one are secretly hiding behind the immature, petty one. It's when they make personal comments against Schafer, or say he's "attacking" gamers and "squandering" their goodwill. But I don't know guys, if you look at the funding this thing's already made in just a few short days, it seems clear he has a lot of goodwill still left. Maybe plenty of gamers are still keen on Schafer, and the people he "attacked" are just a vocal minority of misguided people nobody takes seriously.

Either that or a lot of people really like Psychonauts. That's why I backed it anyway.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kingjackl said:
There are two reasons I'm seeing given as to why Double Fine shouldn't be funded for this:

1. Tim Schafer has a poor track record with managing crowd-funding projects
To his credit, the game was still finished and accomplished the goal it set out to do. It would be different if the project had failed. His only "poor track record" would then be taking longer to finish the game. There's a big difference between undershooting the goal and overshooting the goal. At least Tim managed to finish the game despite way overshooting its scope.

2. He said some mean things with a sock-puppet once.

Of course only one of these reasons is a valid concern, but you can always tell where people who use the valid one are secretly hiding behind the immature, petty one. It's when they make personal comments against Schafer, or say he's "attacking" gamers and "squandering" their goodwill.
It is actually petty to dismiss someone else's political stances as immature pettiness. You may not agree with the people who do not wish to support Tim for political reasons but you really have no right to dismiss them doing so. We do it all the time for all sorts of ideological reasons. Hell, the mob that is the internet will routinely force companies into firing employees who just happened to express a different point of view that is sometimes in line with the average American.

We need to get to a point where we understand that other people get to have their own opinions too and that those opinions don't have to match our own. Otherwise we have no right to ask those same people to respect our own opinions.

But I don't know guys, if you look at the funding this thing's already made in just a few short days, it seems clear he has a lot of goodwill still left. Maybe plenty of gamers are still keen on Schafer, and the people he "attacked" are just a vocal minority of misguided people nobody takes seriously.

Either that or a lot of people really like Psychonauts. That's why I backed it anyway.
Psychonauts was fantastic. Still holds up as playable and fun today. But I think Tim is also a really beloved guy in general anyways. He's simply top notch as a person.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So somebody tell me why we're funding crows, and what that has to do with Psychonauts 2?

[small]Couldn't resist. Typo in the title and all.[/small]

I dunno; there's something here that just doesn't pass the "smell test" to me. Tim Schafer really doesn't have my trust, and something in the back of my mind says there's an opportunistic appeal to nostalgia going on here. I'd love to be proven wrong, but in the meantime I'll adopt a "wait and see" stance.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
So somebody tell me why we're funding crows, and what that has to do with Psychonauts 2?

[small]Couldn't resist. Typo in the title and all.[/small]

I dunno; there's something here that just doesn't pass the "smell test" to me. Tim Schafer really doesn't have my trust, and something in the back of my mind says there's an opportunistic appeal to nostalgia going on here. I'd love to be proven wrong, but in the meantime I'll adopt a "wait and see" stance.
There is a demand for nostalgia, Tim has the supply. This statement is roughly equivalent to looking suspiciously at a restaurant owner offering free fries along with a burger and saying, "I don't know, something doesn't seem right, something in the back of my mind says there's an opportunistic appeal to hunger going on here." Yes, all successful businesses are catering to some sort of desire. Nostalgia, hunger, entertainment, etc.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
I hate to be posting this again (because I really, really want to see a good Psychonauts sequel), but to those considering: please take a good hard look at the Fig ToS. It's literally throwing money into a Tim-Schafer-shaped chasm. There's NO accountability, no legal recourse for the backers - even worse than Kickstarter's. And of course it is, because it's at least partially his own site.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I really want Psychonauts 2 to exist but don't trust tim schafer with my money.

He preying on people's nostalgia and sure he will probably succeed at funding this despite his reputation of not being able to budget. I hope it turns out he has finally learned how budget and game ends up being great but won't be holding my breath for that.