Psychonauts 2 Reaches $3.3 Million Funding Goal

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Psychonauts 2 Reaches $3.3 Million Funding Goal

"We've wanted to make this game for a long time, and now we finally can!"

Double Fine's Psychonauts 2 has hit its funding goal [https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2] of $3.3 million on crowdfunding platform Fig. That number reflects a small portion of the game's total budget, with the rest to be picked up by Double Fine and an "external partner."

"Holy Smokes! We did it you guys! Psychonauts 2 is now fully funded! We want to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for making this possible," an update on the page reads. "We've wanted to make this game for a long time, and now we finally can! So thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Five days remain on the campaign, so that will continue, with everything raised going into making the game "better, bigger, and shinier."

The campaign was announced by creator Tim Schafer at the 2015 Game Awards in December [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165303-Psychonauts-2-Takes-to-Crowdfunding-Service-Fig#&gid=gallery_5165&pid=1].

"Our fans constantly ask us to make Psychonauts 2, and often we've talked about doing it," Schafer said during the announcement. "The problem is that through traditional means we've never been able to raise a budget high enough to do it justice. When we crowdfunded Broken Age in 2012 and broke all the records with the amount we raised, it really showed me the power of our community, and it made me think... maybe we can do this, maybe we could make Psychonauts 2 this way!"

Fig was launched in August [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142014-New-Video-Game-Crowdfunding-Site-Fig-Lets-You-Buy-Equity] by former Double Fine COO Justin Bailey as a Kickstarter alternative, with a focus exclusively on video game crowdfunding. The platform allows for the choice between traditional crowdfunding and equity investment.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
After the absolute disaster of his last game and the nosedive his career took in the last few years there are still enough sheep that believe in Mr. Shitface?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IT'LL BE THE BEST HALF FINISHED, YEAR DELAYED, THEY'VE MADE TO DATE!

At least, that's what I'd say if I enjoyed the tears of others as much as I do my own.
:/

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
$3.3 million?

They spent more than that making the first half of Broken Age.

Good luck to them, we shall see if they've finally got a solid hold on financial planning. There's no reason you couldn't make an awesome Psychonauts 2 on that budget. Of course none of my money is in this...

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015

Well, as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted". How many fools does it take to amass $3 million? Nobody should be surprised when they are inevitably disappointed by Schafer and his ilk.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd say I'm excited... but considering how long it's been, I'm more cautiously optimistic than anything... (crosses fingers)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Eh, I'll buy it. Why not? The first game was fun, and I'm not jaded on Double Fine. Hopefully they improve the mechanics.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Yeahhhh after the Broken Age thing, I'm more than a little skeptical. To be fair, Broken Age WAS pretty but that's just about it. And it had Elijah Wood.

Also if they learn anything it's "don't make the whole game fun then ruin it in the last level by making it ungodly difficult" - I STILL haven't finished the first one because the stupid meat circus still reminds me of some misappropriated post-traumatic stress (extreme but I'm allowed to do that)

Also you BETTER keep the original cast - it's not Raz without Richard. (Okay so at least the four characters you guys mention)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hmmm. Well, errr, umm. Hmmmm.

The first one was a lovely surprise gem at the time.

But...

Hmmm.

I need to sit down and think about this.

I'm watching you, Schafer.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
People fall for that corrupt sack of lies each and every time dont they?

As if this psychonauts 2 will be a better version of the 1st one... if it gets finished at all.

Infact people do seem to like to fall for incompetend developers that promise them the blue out of the sky if only they keep throwing money at them *cough*star citizen*cough*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't care in the slightest about the game, but I'm happy it got funded just so I can bathe in the rivers of gamer salt that will follow.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I hope backers can get an alright game, but I can't see how Schafer has still maintained a sufficient level of trust to make the funding possible. Time will tell how it turns out, I suppose. My personal hunch is somewhere between "meh" and "awful."

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Here's to hoping Mister Schafer learned his lessons with the last game and is actually putting more thought into his financial planning.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
And all it took was his own funding platform that let him extend the goal like four different times!

Here's hoping that Psychonoughts 2 is actually the game we all wish it to be, but I'm holding my 'told ya so' card in my front left pocket encased in gold just in case.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Though I like the first game and Tim Schafer is one of the few people who know how to make an original game these days, I've heard what has happened with Broken Age. Massively over-budget, late, and missing features. I'll be playing the waiting game for this one before going full excited.

I do hope they reach the stretch goal to get James Willems to do a VA audition though.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Well, there are investors supposedly behind the 3.3mil that fans put in, so in theory he can blow all their money on swanky office parties and still produce something.

If not, even Molyneux managed to get enough backers for his final game after the industry realised the amount of hack that permeates him, so it's not the end of the world. Psychonauts was a damn good game.

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
I'm sure they'll be ecstatic over at DoubleFine but if they could not even make half of an adventure game with that Psychonauts 2 will be extra hard to do. So did they reach it in their first timeframe or do they actually need the 5 additional days they added silently?
Edit: I guess it was close. Very close.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Whatever, don't care about the negativity. I just want Pyschonauts 2, so I'm quite happy people shelled out.