Psychonauts Creator Ready to Make Sequel

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Psychonauts Creator Ready to Make Sequel

Tim Schafer says that he is ready to make Psychonauts 2, but needs to find a publisher willing to back the project.

If there was ever a game that exemplified the label "cult classic," it's Psychonauts [http://www.amazon.com/Psychonauts-Xbox/dp/B0007PIEAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289564239&sr=8-1]. Despite receiving almost universal critical acclaim for its humor, characters and imagination, it failed to find an audience beyond a small group of hardcore supporters. But speaking to PSM3 magazine, Schafer said that a sequel would be a "big hit," thanks to the belated buzz around the original game.

Schafer said that he would be happy to make a sequel to Psychonauts, but needed the backing of a publisher to do it. Schafer thought that the Psychonauts brand had a lot of recognition among gamers, thanks to low prices on digital distribution platforms, word of mouth, and - of all things - piracy getting the game in front of a lot of people, which gave the Psychonauts name more pull than its sales alone might indicate.

As much as people - myself included - love Psychonauts, I think that getting a sequel off the ground is going to be tricky for Double Fine. While you could argue that there were extenuating circumstances in both cases, neither Psychonauts nor Brutal Legend sold particularly well, and that's not something that a publisher is going to ignore. Schafer is likely right that Psychonauts has a lot of brand recognition, but that's only going to be one part of the equation when publishers are weighing the pro and cons.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=275156]

Feb 13, 2008
[HEADING=2]But what does the Milkman say? Could it be...No...Yes...Maybe....THE CREAM, WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF...what was I saying?[/HEADING]

OOC: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007

Please let it happen. PLEEEEEAAAZZZE!!

Whatever your thoughts on the game (FYI if your thoughts arn't that it's one of the greatest things to grace this earth I will hunt you down and kick your arse!) the concept alone means it has more protential then almost any other game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I hope this doesn't happen. Some games are so good they don't need sequels. Psychonauts is one Planescape: Torment is another, Deus Ex is a third. Sequels will only tarnish the memory.

jeremypeel

Nov 3, 2010
'Some games are so good they don't need sequels. Psychonauts is one Planescape: Torment is another, Deus Ex is a third. Sequels will only tarnish the memory.'

So I thought, but OH BOY does Human Revolution look good (yes, it does).

kastanok

Mar 20, 2009
I squealed like a tween at a Justin Bieber concert to hear this. There can be no better news, except that it's actually in production. Someone give this man a lot of money!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
No.

Bad Schafer. Step away from the game. It needs no sequel. *hits on the nose with a rolled up newspaper*

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend may have had bad sales, but both are very good.

Maybe Shafer should get activision to back him up....just kidding, keep as far away from activision as possible mr. Shafer =)

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I'm quite surprised with the polarity of the responses in this thread. If anything, it tells how volatile the possibility of sinking money into this project may be. I, for one, greatly enjoyed Psychonauts, but I also accept that the story was neatly self-contained, and I don't really think a sequel could really improve what was already a fantastic piece of work.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I so happy right now!

Maybe he should go to Square Enix, they are a hands-off publisher when it comes to Western games, and basically willing to publish anything, it seems. Hell, SE allowed for the publishing of Kane & Lynch 2, and I can't recall strong sales for the first game.

It doesn't NEED a sequel, but I need another modern platformer, and won't say no to it.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
therandombear said:
Both Psychonauts and Brutal Legend may have had bad sales, but both are very good.

Maybe Shafer should get activision to back him up....just kidding, keep as far away from activision as possible mr. Shafer =)
Psychonauts and activision hmmmmm(thinks about possibilities)
Psychonauts 7 quest for the holy shroom?
Psychonauts Jimmy Hendrix edition
Psychonauts Albert Hofmann experience
and about 10 more