Publisher?s Club

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why not? I've wasted $10 on far worse things.

[sub]Like a few XBLA games that will go unmentioned[/sub]

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
So I don't lose anything by not joining? I mean I'd love to, seriously. I'm just kind of a tightarse, and buying a membership for a forum is kind of frivolous to me.

Hell, I'll probably do it eventually but... *blows dust out of wallet* you guys picked a bad week to offer me thediscount.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
newuseforvintage said:
*snip*

It has all the little credit card gifs and options (visa, mastercard etc.) but your debit card will work because it runs through the same channel. So, for example, my debit card is registered with Visa so I just picked the Visa option and it worked fine.

At least that's the way it is here in Aus. I assumed it'd be true most of the rest of the 1st world. We do so lag behind technology wise :p
the only thing it says on my card is maestro which ISN'T a payment option.. oh well.. bugger it then..

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I like the idea, and as you may be able to tell I have signed up already

hope this increases the already good quality of work on here!

Machines said:
Nomad said:
It just signals that people who aren't subscribers are henceforth considered second-class citizens - like someone said a few pages back, in six months anyone without the proper badge will be scoffed at and ignored by all the cool kids who payed up.
While I am certain that this is not the Escapists intention, I feel that this is the way things will go. The same way people who had/have MM avatars or ones with the Escapists 'E' tend to be in a clique of sorts.
I sadly could see this, but it will be up to those who do have the membership to try and keep this in check. Come on guys its not their fault they are unworthy of the gold badge XD

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Insanum said:
I know we're not losing anything if we dont[/I] pay, but things that are being added to members only would've been stuff that was added to everone before.
That's exactly my point - these are not things that we could give everyone, for a variety of reasons. Well, I suppose we could add a new general discussion forum, but we already have one, so if it wasn't limited in some other way it really wouldn't mean anything.

Latinidiot said:
would it be a good idea to not ban people that have subscriptions, but simply disable their ability to post anything. ANYTHING.
That's what banning is on our site. It takes a level of stupidity above and beyond the norm to actually get your account disabled. That's usually reserved for spammers.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Can we get the ability to gift a subscription for a certain amount of time? Pick a number of years and pay up front for the person.

On that note a bulk-buy capacity would be handy too, a few dollars off if you buy for more than one year. It'd be an incentive too.

DP155ToneZone

Good enough for Petrucci on I&W
Aug 23, 2009
I will sign up, gladly, happily, hopefully, with enthusiasm, with optimism, with full support, with a smile on my face and with great faith and trust in the Escapist staff...

If you add PAYPAL support.

I am not a minor but neither do I have a credit card available readily for use. Also as a resident of Australia, I have a far easier time with PAYPAL than with anything else.

LadyCatra

Princess TLDR
Nov 20, 2009
I realize this is comment +250 and may never actually be seen - but I wanted to try and say thanks. I was looking the other day for a way to support this site financially and am very glad this popped up. Thanks for the opportunity to let me show my support for a fantastic site!

Jun 11, 2008
Kuliani said:
If you have any specific questions regarding our rollout of the new Publisher's Club service, please ask them here. Any comments or complaints will be accepted, but please be careful in what you say. If you have any suggestions as to what could be added or what's not interesting (especially what could be added in order to entice you to join), please post it here!

Please note that no one is losing anything due to the Publisher's Club subscription service, but those that are classy enough to sign up will gain a more enjoyable experience at The Escapist!

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/registration/subscribe
So will I be able to download all videos ever uploaded on to the Escapist. Will this download feature be retro active or will I only be able to download future videos.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I might do this. I feel kind of bad being here for a year and clicking on zero adverts.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
It is telling me the payment failed...

I'll leave this untill the morning to work on.

EDIT: Seems I need to change my payment method, whatever that means.

darthmob

Feb 18, 2010
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
I'm having the same problem. Anyone know if there's a way to subscribe via a non-US Amazon thing?
I would be interested in that as well. amazon.de for example allows to pay per direct debit. I don't own a credit card and I don't plan on ever getting one so that would be nice.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Sorry if this has already been asked. You are welcome to link me to the correct post and give a snarky comment about my laziness.

Do we lose anything from not subscribing? For example, is the quality of videos going to go down for non-subscribers, or will content that would have been offered to anybody now only be offered to subscribers?

Bailos

The Apostate
Sep 26, 2009
It says I my subscription is activated, but I still have ads and can't view videos in high quality...

kgagne

Feb 17, 2010
I think this is the first time I have paid for access to online content since CompuServe. But your LRR & ZP videos are worth every cent.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn,this is awesome but I doubt my parents would let me subscribe to this. (because they would have to pay for this)

I'll keep this in mind.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Samurai Goomba said:
Russ Pitts said:
Not to be a jerk here or anything, but I have to wonder why you're asking us questions about something you've already told us in no uncertain terms you won't be bothering to support? You're not giving me much incentive here to answer your questions, dude.
Not to be a jerk? I often answer questions people ask me with no thought towards compensation. I would be more likely than ever to do so if I created a thread specifically to answer questions. You're not giving him much incentive to be persuaded by your salesmanship, wit and charm.
I'm not a salesman, dude. Sorry.

Besides, I'm of the mind that this program sells itself. Either you enjoy our content and feel motivated to put some money towards it - reaping some solid benefits in the process - or you don't. In which case, you'll still enjoy all of the current content and forum member benefits we have always offered.

I understand people have questions, and money makes a certain type of person feel like they're being cheated or "sold," but there really is no downside here. If you don't like the plan, you don't have to join, and you lose nothing.

That said, the issues in question will most likely get an answer. Probably even by me. So stay tuned!

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Hileict said:
Drayvock said:
jthm said:
So, in other words, you're implementing a premium service like IGN did... And IGN lost a bunch of it's users... So you're trying to lose users then I take it? Well, whatever, game news can be had for free elsewhere. Will be a shame to miss out on Rebecca Mayes and Yahtzee though.
You're not losing anything you currently have, as stated in previous posts. You're only gaining new things by purchasing a subscription. If you don't purchase one, you get the same version of Escapist Magazine that you normally see, for free.
Yes, but that's still extremely insulting. Paying for high quality when LRR released theirs for free. Merchandise is the real answer, not gimmicks and marketing ploys like a shiny custom title and access to a secret forum. LRR also does that for free, it's called the LoadingReadyRunners. You EARN access through contests. Merely paying is just a sell-out.
Not to mention that at first NO ONE is going to agree to pay anything for small new stuff they don't need (I mean, yeah, okay, a small minority will, but not enough to generate any real revenue). So when it dawns on you guys that this isn't working, how long until Zero Punctuation (which, let's face it draws probably 60% of the sites traffic) and the other videos are reclassified as "Premium Content" or only made available a day or two after premium members have been able to watch them?