Publisher's Club discontinued

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Hey friends, if you haven't yet heard The Escapist is under new management (again) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/703.1055804-Escapist-Under-New-Management-Again]. We're making a bunch of changes starting ... well, last month. One of the upcoming changes is we're discontinuing the Pub Club.

While the new owners sort through the various servers to find out what's stored where, please take a moment to go into your profile and cancel your Pub Club membership to ensure you won't be billed. The auto-bill system is ... well, to be honest, we don't know where it is. We're looking for it so we can shut it down.

As we transition the website to whatever its new incarnation will be, I'll keep you updated about how your visiting experience will be changing for former Pub Club members. A lot of that is TBD.

if you have any questions of need help canceling your Pub Club membership, please email [email protected]
A sincere question, not for myself but one that came into mind. What about those with a Pub Club that have moved on? I barely come to the Escapist, and luckily I have no method of payment in the Pub Club, but if someone doesn't come to the site anymore and has a Pub Club payment form, won't they be charged without a notification? Having worked in Customer Relations, that'd be terrible for your brand if it happens.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
kurokotetsu said:
Russ Pitts said:
Hey friends, if you haven't yet heard The Escapist is under new management (again) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/703.1055804-Escapist-Under-New-Management-Again]. We're making a bunch of changes starting ... well, last month. One of the upcoming changes is we're discontinuing the Pub Club.

While the new owners sort through the various servers to find out what's stored where, please take a moment to go into your profile and cancel your Pub Club membership to ensure you won't be billed. The auto-bill system is ... well, to be honest, we don't know where it is. We're looking for it so we can shut it down.

As we transition the website to whatever its new incarnation will be, I'll keep you updated about how your visiting experience will be changing for former Pub Club members. A lot of that is TBD.

if you have any questions of need help canceling your Pub Club membership, please email [email protected]
A sincere question, not for myself but one that came into mind. What about those with a Pub Club that have moved on? I barely come to the Escapist, and luckily I have no method of payment in the Pub Club, but if someone doesn't come to the site anymore and has a Pub Club payment form, won't they be charged without a notification? Having worked in Customer Relations, that'd be terrible for your brand if it happens.
Hopefully those who?ve moved on were cognizant that they were leaving an autopayment in their wake and disabled/discontinued it when/if they decided to perma-exit.

But yes, I think it?s important that the new owners find where that auto-billing process is and kills it sooner rather than later and are prepared to issue refunds to anyone debited after the kill switch on Pub Club benefits is finally flipped.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
Xprimentyl said:
Hopefully those who?ve moved on were cognizant that they were leaving an autopayment in their wake and disabled/discontinued it when/if they decided to perma-exit.

But yes, I think it?s important that the new owners find where that auto-billing process is and kills it sooner rather than later and are prepared to issue refunds to anyone debited after the kill switch on Pub Club benefits is finally flipped.
Hopefuly theh did. But them again the site was in a bad place, I guess several where expecting it to die amd might've left knowing the gifter Pub Club would last more than the doomed site. Or evem forgotten about the auto renewal due to not using it for a while. Either way, if people start seeing charges on their statements from a site they quit years ago they will be very very mad. And a single bad word of mouth outweights several good ones, as any one with a backgroumd on customer service knows. Just wanted to give a heads up amd hope they have a plan to deal with it (or delay the decission to turn kff the auto-payment first, which ever is better for them).

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
kurokotetsu said:
Russ Pitts said:

We're working on disabling the payment system.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Not sure where to bring this up, but google reports this website as Not Secure.

I sure do hope we see that change before we get any hint of advertising.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Dear Editor:

Themis Media owes you twenty bucks.

The auto-renew for my membership fired off yesterday. I've since disabled auto-renew on my end.

BTW, you wrote back in August:
Russ Pitts said:
How is it after nearly eight months no one's managed to hunt down and kill that bot? How many other people have been unwittingly billed, and how much has Themis been unjustly enriched?

I don't begrudge the twenty bucks, but it's your name on the billing notices, so I'm afraid it's ultimately your mess to fix.

Oh, and someone tell Themis' Web master that they don't own The Escapist anymore.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/534.1056915-Goodbye-Pubclub

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
ewhac said:
Dear Editor:

Themis Media owes you twenty bucks.

The auto-renew for my membership fired off yesterday. I've since disabled auto-renew on my end.

BTW, you wrote back in August:
Russ Pitts said:
How is it after nearly eight months no one's managed to hunt down and kill that bot? How many other people have been unwittingly billed, and how much has Themis been unjustly enriched?

I don't begrudge the twenty bucks, but it's your name on the billing notices, so I'm afraid it's ultimately your mess to fix.

Oh, and someone tell Themis' Web master that they don't own The Escapist anymore.
Editor has put himself on hiatus for some tweets he did. This maybe falling on deaf ears.