Punch-Out!! Boxer Accused of Uttering Islamic Phrase

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Punch-Out!! Boxer Accused of Uttering Islamic Phrase

Another day, another videogame character accused of shouting pro-Islamic phrases: This time it's Punch-Out!! [http://punchout.nintendo.com/] boxer Bald Bull, who according to one observer says "Allah Akbar" while trading leather in the ring.

Remember back in January when Indiana mom Rachel Jones heard the Nintendo DS game Baby Pals say, "Nintendo Wii [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88990-Mother-Finds-Pro-Islam-Message-In-DS-Game] title Punch-Out!!, which according to self-styled conservative pundit and long-time gamer Del Riley features a Turkish character named Bald Bull who utters the phrase "Allah Akbar."

"Allah Akbar," which is typically translated as "God is great," is used by Muslims in a variety of situations but has become most notorious as the battle cry of terrorists and suicide bombers. This makes it problematic, Riley claimed on his YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9C7jQcGl0c&feature=channel_page], because despite its other connotations, "we can't forget that this phrase is fiercely inflected before murderous animals do things like" the September 11 bombings of the World Trade Center.

"Not even eight years after 9/11, are we going to accept this phrase in a videogame rated 'E' for Everyone?" he said. "What do the families of [the victims of] these heinous crimes think of this? Is this good for our children?"

But does Bald Bull actually speak the phrase at all? Riley's YouTube replay of the sequence in question, available around the 2:10 mark if you're not interested in watching the whole thing, is debatable at best. Much like the burbling in Baby Pals [http://www.cravegames.com/games/babypals/index.asp], what you hear is largely a question of what you want to hear. With Riley's guidance I can pick up the barest outlines of the phrase; without it, I'm sure I'd hear nothing more than the angry shouting of a huge Turkish dude who can't lay a glove on me.

via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/06/02/does-punch-out-character-shout-islamic-phrase]

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Oh blah blah blah post 9/11 world blah. There are games that feature NAZIS.

Jul 23, 2008
Oy, gott...

Yet more paranoid people with too much time on their hands and the ability to hear something where there is nothing.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
WNxSajuukCor said:
Allah Akbar? It's a trap! XD
This. Clearly the boxer is really saying "Admiral Ackbar"

EDIT: Having watched the video, I'd never have thought it sounded anything like "Allah Akbar" if he hadn't said anything, so I honestly doubt he's saying that. Besides, the only reason this is a problem is because it's Islam. If what he were saying was something Jewish or Catholic, he wouldn't be complaining.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
It's saddening how stupid some people can be and how much media attention they can get anyway...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
UGH.

Look, just because these terrorists are perverting a saying that literally translates into "God is great" does NOT mean everyone who utters the phrase is a terrorist. I mean, if I was to run around and say "Jesus was incredible" in a church or "Abraham was amazing" in a synogouge (however it's spelled, sorry) would you think I was a terrorist? No. But if I say something to the same effect in Islam, that means you're a terrorist?

IT MEANS "GOD IS GREAT," NOT "BLOW UP THE WORLD TRADE TOWERS." GET OVER IT YOU LITTLE BITCHES.

Boogieman117

May 13, 2009
Before I read this thread/article, I was watching someone play the new Punch-Out and I heard it. The "Akbar" part wasn't clear, but I heard the "Allah" part clear as day. If I remember the original game, Bald Bull was originally from Istanbul Turkey where I'd imagine some sort of Muslim faith is.

I thought about the LittleBigPlanet nonsense from it's release and was wondering if someone was going to make a big deal about it. I guess I was right.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
So what if he does? This game is openly racist against one and all, so why look for hidden stuff if being a ***** is all you've set out to do anyway?

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
These people really need to mellow out. You shouldn't get all uppity over incidents like this. You can't even tell what he is saying. Also, IT'S A FREAKING VIDEO GAME!

Kholdgrave

Jul 11, 2008
Holy crap. It all makes sense now! Through boxing I can destroy the pig infidel americans!

Seriously, Just get your few minutes of fame the old fashioned way: Be useful.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone knows "Islam is delight." My Nintendo babies told me so. :p

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Oh boo-fucking-hoo! Get the fuck over it! You can say what the fuck you want to atheists but we don't give a shit or take offense. What if we did take offense if you discriminated Big Bang theory? The world will have been destroyed! As Yahtzee said you should only worry about this crap if there's genuine hatred behind it, and there isn't. Just fuck off and leave us alone!