punished for dominet gene?

Aug 25, 2009
Only 11% of the world is left handed, thus statistically soeaking it wouldn't be unthinkable that all FPS characters are right handed. Also, in a FPS setting with rifles, guns usually eject to the right, so a left handed character has a chance of being hit in the head with brass casings. This is a real world problem. Anyone I know in the army who is left handed fires his rifle right handed, just out of convenience for being able to pick up any weapon and not need to perform hours of maintenance on it to make it fire lefty.

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
Here's an aspet you didn't think of: most guns physically can't be shot left handed. The L85 assault rifle is the one i'm most familiar with, and if you aim with your left hand and not your right hand, you get a very hot bullet casing flung into your left eye or cheek. It's very weird having to shoot right handed when i'm left handed, but you get used to it.

Short answer is most weapons don't have a left handed option, doing so would require a rather pointless and expensive re-design.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
PeePantz said:
Left handed designs never work due to the fact that lefties have spent their whole lives using the "righty" design. Have you ever use left-handed scissors? Good luck cutting paper.

Also, did you know left handed people die at a younger age compared to righties? It's due to the tiny amount of "stresses" they deal with on a daily basis from living in a righties' world. The difference is very small, but it's still interesting.
That was one study that nowadays is laughed at. Your first point I agree with.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
PeePantz said:
Left handed designs never work due to the fact that lefties have spent their whole lives using the "righty" design. Have you ever use left-handed scissors? Good luck cutting paper.

Also, did you know left handed people die at a younger age compared to righties? It's due to the tiny amount of "stresses" they deal with on a daily basis from living in a righties' world. The difference is very small, but it's still interesting.
That was one study that nowadays is laughed at. Your first point I agree with.
Shhhh.... it's still a study and I'll cling to it. Similar to the one second-hand smoke study. If that is universally held true (despite many showing it to be biased), I'm holding on to being a martyr.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Are you talking about the option to play left-handedly i.e. inverting sticks and stuff, or the actual character being left-handed? If it's the first one, yes I do hate it when that option is left out. If it's the second one, I'm honestly not bothered, it doesn't make any difference to the game so what's it matter?

garlicncow

May 6, 2010
random_bars said:
Are you talking about the option to play left-handedly i.e. inverting sticks and stuff, or the actual character being left-handed? If it's the first one, yes I do hate it when that option is left out. If it's the second one, I'm honestly not bothered, it doesn't make any difference to the game so what's it matter?
a little of both mostly the first but the models can bother me a bit it's just one of my ocds

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I am not left-handed, but I'm perplexed as to why it is important.

Let me explain. No...it's too much. Let me sum up.

Left side of most controllers I see? Buttons. Right side of most controllers I see? Buttons. It's just that they all do different things. The reason I am confused is that controller-use is not a natural behavior as one would determine preference in throwing a ball or punching someone in the face. Please explain to me why reversing functions would make anything better or worse?

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I know that the Halo games have had a lefty control option since the first. I can't think of any other games that do, unfortunately.

dWintermut3

Jan 14, 2010
What's it really take to implement two keybind setups one using WASD and another using IJKL? Heck IJKL actually looks like it would be nicer to use because rather than having to bind the other nearby keys to important system keys like tab or caps lock you would be binding them to semicolon and open bracket.

I'm all for implementing any little refinement you can, especially because a good programmer could put in a menu option and set up the INI file to have two sets of binds in a day or two of work and then use that for every game they ever make.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Im left handed and have never had a problem with control layouts.
OP I think you need to lessen your whining.

Epslion.Bear

Feb 27, 2011
Im left handed but I grew up with right handed scissors and stuff so I sorta turned ambidextrous.

I use right handed control layouts on games but I tried if I could use left.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'm left handed and having the right handed setup doesn't bother me at all. Even when I fire a real gun I shoot right handed, it was the way I was taught and I just got used to it.

I use my mouse with my right hand too, it was just the way I learned to do things, it wasn't ever any easier or harder for me to pick these things up.

I have no idea what's happened in recent years, other than maybe it takes a little bit longer to make the models and skins, which in turn costs the companies more money, but in the past starting with Quake II there was almost always an option to switch which side the gun was on. If it costs a company more money to cater to a small percentage of the population they won't do it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I'm left handed as well, but have been using my mouse on the right side and was never bothered by lack of 'left-handed' option...

Which brings me to another point: who inverts their mouse control?

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
Chibz said:
messy said:
Link from LoZ is often left handed, and I will admit it is a bit weird to play as him some time. Being a righty, since the left is my "weaker hand" so I imagine the sword blows are weaker and stuff.
Actually, if you go back far enough Link from LoZ is ambidextrous. Take a gander at the LTTP sprites for him facing left/right.
That's just sprite mirroring to save memory. Check the sprites for all his swings EXCEPT when he faces right, they'll all be lefty. They couldn't mirror the up/down sprites which is why they're accurate. They were justifiably lazy with the side sprites. :p

saphiren

Full diving
Jul 8, 2009
DkLnBr said:
"punished for dominant gene" sorry that was just bugging me... grammar-nazi moment over. Onto actual question now. As Fr]anc[is has already said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Because 90% (maybe, idk the number) of people are right handed, and doing that would just cost time and effort for something that doesn't really matter game-wise. Sorry. TF2 has a left handed option I believe.
Plus Link from Zelda, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, and the space marine from Doom are all left-handed, and it never bothered me while playing or made me lose immersion. Sorry to sound condescending, but this just seems like such a petty, minor detail to get all worked up about
Good point, except the Doom example isn't quite as accurate. Remember in the first two Doom games (and Quake 1 also) the gun is in the center of the screen, so it's a moot point. Plus, although the Doom marine holds the pistol in his left hand, he holds the shotgun right-handedly, which actually implies he's ambidextrous. Just gotta nitpick, sorry

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
PeePantz said:
There are some very noticeable differences between left handed specific things and their 'normal' counterparts you know..I am left handed and many things that i always thought were difficult to do become much more simple when you get the 'right' equipment. Using scissors and opening cans being the two major ones..followed by firing a bow and paddling a kayak.

So yes..I have used left handed scissors and I find it almost impossible to use right handed ones despite attempting to use them for years at school. Left handed things arn't difficult to get hold of anymore so there's no excuse to not have access to them if you are left handed.

I do however type and use my mouse in a right handed way just because i've never felt it has very much bearing on what your dominant hand really is, I also know several right handed people who find they prefer to use their dominant hand to press keys aswell.

The OP's point is fairly obsessive though, I could say the same thing about characters having different sized feet to me or blinking less than I do breaks my personal immersion..it's not like any game literally has your personal balance behind it short of using motion sensor games where this isn't a problem.
I cannot remember ever stopping to remember what hand a character uses a bow or sword with because almost always they have some ridiculous way of using that weapon anyway that overpowers any realism.