Punisher Netflix series in development

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-plotting-punisher-spinoff-starring-856398

http://www.gamesradar.com/punisher-spin-series-development-netflix/

In a move that should be considered expected at this point due to the hype around the character and the Netflix Marvel series, a series based on The Punisher staring Jon Bernthal is now in development. I can't say I'm surprised, and given the writing abilities of those involved in the Netflix series I'm looking forward to this.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Apparently from the early reviews of the first 2 episodes given to critics. He's freakin' awesome. So that's good news.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
We're going to come to a point where we can't tell one comic book superhero TV show from another. And that's fine. The quicker this whole thing peaks the better.

Mar 26, 2008
As long as it is as brutal and uncompromising as the character, I'm in. That said I'd be happy with Thomas Jane returning to the Punisher role if this is anything to go by:

https://youtu.be/bWpK0wsnitc

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
As long as it is as brutal and uncompromising as the character, I'm in. That said I'd be happy with Thomas Jane returning to the Punisher role if this is anything to go by:

https://youtu.be/bWpK0wsnitc
God I love that short...I really hope he gets at least some kind of role on this new series, guy may have had one of the less praised Marvel films, but he did do alot of good with giving the Punisher a bit more humanity than alot of the comics around the time.

Also, hopefully they'll get the main character writer of Daredevil instead of Jessica Jones for this one. It'd be a shame to have a character that has more than a bit of depth be the least intriguing character in every scene while taking up so much of the time of each episode again...

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I'm curious which one of the two punisher they going to go for. Is it going to be regular old vigilante punisher( pretty much generic action movie character like dirty Harry, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Liam Neeson) or are they going to the Garth Ennis interpretation of him being a brutal monster who only kills bad people for his own pleasure and no one else.

it will be really interesting for what they go with.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
We're going to come to a point where we can't tell one comic book superhero TV show from another. And that's fine. The quicker this whole thing peaks the better.
Every party needs a pooper that's why we invited you...party pooper. Seriously, the Netflix series are vastly different than the films.

OT: I'm excited for this.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah its very hard to tell the difference between a man in a rubber suit who can run fast and the one who kills criminals with conventional weapons whos also wearing a Skull T shirt

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm sure your mind is made up already but, the Punisher isn't a superhero. He has no powers, no tech, just guns which he uses to kill people. He is a vigilante. A true anti-hero. The best Punisher stories are set in a world without Superheroes. Just a one man war against crime.

There are a lot of Superhero tv shows at the moment. But you know the good thing? You can pick and choose what you watch. I watch Daredevil and Jessica Jone because they're really good (being realised whole season at a time also helps). I'm still watching Arrow and Flash because they're dumb fun. I tried Agents of Shield, Powers, Gotham, Supergirl etc. Not interested.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Seriously, apples are vastly different from apples.
Still one can appreciate a perfectly grown and ripened fresh apple with the just the right amount of crunch. Compared to a moldy worm-bitten apple that is mushy and tart.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I had to check this wasn't a necroed thread. Like, okay, yes, this is coming out. I'm also not surprised, mostly because it was announced last year and the actor was already revealed and he's in the first two episodes of season two of Daredevil, and the Escapist already reported with photos of the two interacting, and there was that Daredevil trailer featuring him....

So I mean, yeah, I guess I still think it's a good move to put this on Netflix rather than trying to make a movie.

MarsAtlas said:
Hmmm, came into the thread hoping it'd be Thomas Jane since he did a real good job with the movie. I'll give the new guy a chance though.
Personally, I was hoping for Dolph Lund...

*gets chased out by angry mob*

Johnny Novgorod said:
Possibly some day in the future, but at this point? If you can't tell Constantine from Daredevil, I'm not sure what to tell you. Even Jessica Jones and Daredevil are largely thematically different, despite both being dark Marvel shows.

As for it peaking? I'm going to continue to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah its very hard to tell the difference between a man in a rubber suit who can run fast and the one who kills criminals with conventional weapons whos also wearing a Skull T shirt
Oh, I don't know. All those Marvel heroes are starting to look the same now. We've got the safe, sanitary heroes for the films, and the edgelord ones for netflix. I can't really blame Novgorod for feeling jaded about the whole thing. I personally think Marvel has had more of a negative impact on hollywood then a positive one anyway. The sooner we pass over this phase, the happier I'll be.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Fox12 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Oh, I don't know. All those Marvel heroes are starting to look the same now. We've got the safe, sanitary heroes for the films, and the edgelord ones for netflix. I can't really blame Novgorod for feeling jaded about the whole thing. I personally think Marvel has had more of a negative impact on hollywood then a positive one anyway. The sooner we pass over this phase, the happier I'll be.
Well if you group them like that then of course they sound the same, its like police procedures some of them are goofy and some of them are serious and by the book.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You get a C- in sarcasm. You're not looking past the fluff.
What's hard is telling the difference between the guy that fights crime and the other guy that fights crime.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
What's hard is telling the difference between the guy that fights crime and the other guy that fights crime.
You just describe action movies/shows in general or hell even police procedural. Like the only difference between Charles Bronson in Death Wish and the Punisher is that the latter wears a skull T shirt. Hell in almost every famous action show/movie you can find a scenario similer to that of a superhero book. Hell compare Days of Future Past to the Terminator series

Hell the villian Arcade is pretty much Superheroes meets Saw

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Didn't we already know about this? Wasn't he in the Daredevil S2 tailer or something?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Loonyyy said:
Didn't we already know about this? Wasn't he in the Daredevil S2 tailer or something?
Its been known for some time that he was going to be a part of DareDevil's second season, but the fact he's getting his own show is new.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
You just describe action movies/shows in general or hell even police procedural. Like the only difference between Charles Bronson in Death Wish and the Punisher is that the latter wears a skull T shirt. Hell in almost every famous action show/movie you can find a scenario similer to that of a superhero book. Hell compare Days of Future Past to the Terminator series

Hell the villian Arcade is pretty much Superheroes meets Saw
Maybe I should've gone with "super-powered comic book badass vigilante"? By your retort, the only thing that tells one character from the other is their gimmick and the color of their suit.