Puppet Dinosaurs Seem Real Enough to Eat Children

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Puppet Dinosaurs Seem Real Enough to Eat Children

It's a dinosaur! It's an animatronic robot! No, wait, it's just a really awesome puppet!

Do you ever feel like you missed out on some epic sights when you were a kid? I always loved going to see dinosaur exhibits at museums when I was growing up but I never once saw anything where dinosaurs looked so, well, real.

This movie gives us a glimpse at what was undoubtedly an amazing sight to behold in person: a man who seems part Croc Hunter and part <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Crocodile-Dundee-Paul-Hogan/dp/B00005N5SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1279049869&sr=8-1>Crocodile Dundee leading around two velociraptors on leashes in public. Not only that, but the guy has the dinosaurs playing with small children (who probably look like tasty snacks to the carnivores).

The dinosaurs in this video are actually puppeteers dressed in elaborate costumes. Most of the footage only shows the upper bodies of the costumes, so you can't see the legs of the puppeteers sticking out below the tails. What's staggering, though, is how realistically the costumes are moved by their handlers.

According to the video's description, this was part of a show that the user saw while in Australia. I'm not sure, but it looks like this was in the open shopping area near the Sydney Aquarium (I'll rely on our Australian readers to confirm the location). It's clearly time for a return trip.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
These looks simular to the dinos they used in the Walking With Dinosaurs Live Show in the UK last year. Look really good and realistic.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Was cool until I saw the guys legs :/ Hopefully some day they can make some fully robotic ones that look that good.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
That's Just cool.

I mean really, Really cool!

Why aren't we using stuff like this for movies? Instead of obviously shitty CGI?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I feel it is time for use to raise a dinasour army and invade disney land!

This is the coolest thing I have seen all day. I wonder how much those puppets cost.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
That is the coolest thing I have seen all day. I really wish I could have seen that in person.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Holy crap, that's awesome. Those puppeteers are amazing. And that thing looks real, if I didn't see the legs, like if it was hiding behind a fence... Holy crap!

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Mcface said:
Was cool until I saw the guys legs :/ Hopefully some day they can make some fully robotic ones that look that good.
Yeah me too.. I almost started crying :'(

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Wow. I will never underestimate Australia again.

[small]Not that I ever have, I always thought that Australia would be 10 times cooler than the boring-ass USA.[/small]

PapaJupe

Jul 31, 2006
That is just flippin' awesome.

2fish said:
I feel it is time for use to raise a dinasour army and invade disney land!
And that would make the arm & a leg it costs to get into Disneyland worth it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Je Suis Ubermonkey said:
Can I just say, those aren't velociraptors.
Look more like juvenile Allosaurs to me.
Anyway, nice. I want one.
Pffft, whatever, Captain Pedantic. Now, just have these guys open up the door to the kitchen and/or hop up on the counter and we are SET!

If that's not possible, I will settle for them eating a child.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow! Thats epic! I love it lol. When people make stuff like this and have kids around...I always love the reactions~

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Damn Aussies get all the fun

*looks mournfully at all the childhood Dinosaur models on the shelf*

Those things are OLD, they used to be my dad's in the 60s when HE was a lad. Good ol' Dinosaurs. Always look hungry. The one, anchoring constant in my life...