"Push this button for $100,000!" Edited

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
You see a button on a wall with a sign that says "Push this button for $100,000!" (Please substitute for a similar amount of your country's currency from here on if needed)
There is a person ahead of you, and he pushes the button. But, instead of receiving the money as promised by the [totally legit] sign, he receives what appears to be a rather severe and continuous shock of electricity. It's quite clear that it was very painful, as he rolls on the floor for about an hour in agony. But, as the torment subsides and he stands up, he receives 50 dollars.
Now comes the question for you: Do you press the button?
Maybe it only happens to the first person.
Maybe the button is more like a lottery, and you will have better luck.
Perhaps it malfunctioned. It clearly gives out some money.
Maybe that guy was weak and the pain is worth the try at least.
Or, maybe pain means nothing to you in the face of even a small payout.
But, what if the pain will be worse for you?
Or, maybe it's proportionate to the amount of money received. $50 compared to $100,000 could kill you.

You saw plain as day that this button caused someone a great deal of pain. It's easy to say "hell yeah, I'd go for it!" in a hypothetical situation, without any real risk of pain. But, truly put yourself into the scenario. Think of a time that you were in so much pain, you couldn't even form thoughts, stand, or breathe properly. Now make that last an hour.

So, will you press it? If yes, what is your reasoning?

[Addition:] Ugh, ok, this isn't about trying to beat the system. Even if you use a stick or rock or rubber suit, you still get shocked. It's a magic shocky button that dispenses money. -_- This is a question of philosophy on risk/pain vs reward, not a riddle.
[Addition 2:] Ok, you people are really ruining this by thinking too much. You can't steal the money from other people. This is about YOU and YOUR decision to press the button or not. But, yes, sitting to watch for a pattern is an acceptable answer.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
No, it's not worth it. I could always just take any money from the guy who pressed it. (It might work if I had gloves on though)

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I probably would, even though being shocked wouldn't be worth it. I'm just the kind of person that would be tortured by not knowing what would've happened if I had pushed.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

I turn around and go home.

Calumon: I get Jack to press it! :D

Jack: I'm not pressing it.

Calumon: But I want some cake... D:

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'd show other people it, let them press the button, then steal their money after they're finished with their electricity attacks.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
Can I use a stick and push the button from far away?
I shouldn't get shocked if I do that, right?

I just need a really long stick...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Pain is fleeting. Money is forever.

I'd press the button, even if I only got $50 for getting the shit shocked out of me.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Well, I would probably throw a rock at the button and collect my $50. Failing that, I'd walk away - it's not very likely the button is ever going to play up $100,000, and it is very likely it's part of an experiment to see how many people will subject themselves to certain, intense pain in the name of an uncertain, unlikely and/or small payoff.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I'd sit down and observe some more.
Let other people test it fire.

A pattern would emerge soon enough.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

I turn around and go home.

Calumon: I get Jack to press it! :D

Jack: I'm not pressing it.

Calumon: But I want some cake... D:
having two people would be perfect. the current could go from one person two the next and hurt the second person.
and what cake does Calumon want?

OT: i would grab the guy and make him press it, then take what he gets.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Sure, just let me find a stick and cower it in rubber?

If I can't do that, then no. I hate pain, it is painful.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I'd make like Batman and get me some rubber gloves. If there are none to be found however, I would take my chances. £50 per hour is better then I get paid at work anyway! XD

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
I wouldn't press it as it's ambidgiouly worded and I'm not playing $100,000 for a magic shock of pain. But bar that yeah I'd press it as long as the pain seemed no fatle