QC: Emily's Peas

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010

I'm completely lost. Can someone please explain it? I don't get it, how are peas funny?!

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
It's a play on words - her friends(?) see her eating peas and make a pun with the phrase "Giving peace a chance" only, you know, with peas instead of peace. She then goes somewhere to tell the same joke, only it's completely lost on that blond person.

I agree - I don't think it's funny but I also don't think it's hard to follow. It's just...awkward.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I guessed this would be a play on the pronunciation, but I thought it'd be on the singular, rather than the plural.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
StBishop said:
DoPo said:
-snip- It's just...awkward.
That's kind of Questionalble Content's thing.
Well, that and it's character driven. Drives me nuts when I see individual strips posted on memebase knockoffs and then see the comment section fill up with people getting offended because they saw it out of context and took it the wrong way.

For the record, Hanners there (the blond chick) is OCD and socially inept, while the brunette is... to say she's an airhead isn't quite right. She's weird, though.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
While the joke is in the pun, "Giving peas/peace a chance," the actual comedy lies in the fact she can't tell her joke. In the first strip Claire and Marten beat her to the punchline she's set up, and in the second Hanners doesn't understand she's even telling a joke.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
DoPo said:
It's a play on words - her friends(?) see her eating peas and make a pun with the phrase "Giving peace a chance" only, you know, with peas instead of peace. She then goes somewhere to tell the same joke, only it's completely lost on that blond person.

I agree - I don't think it's funny but I also don't think it's hard to follow. It's just...awkward.
Awkward indeed. I honestly don't really like awkward humor all that much. For some reason it just makes me feel bad for the character getting humiliated.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Giving peace a chance? Is/was that a saying or have I just gone completely insane?

Still, I'm entirely with The Joker on this one:

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Mildly on topic:

I completely love QC. At first, it started merely as a comic that channeled indie rock culture with an additional layer of self-deprecation. But it quickly evolved into the best character drama/comedy I've seen on the internet. I mean, the relationships are so well written...

People get together and break up for reasons that seem insignificant just by spelling them out and yet they make perfect sense in the context of the characters and what they have experienced in the past. Jeph has a better understanding of how human characters interact than most web comic authors I have ever come across.

Actually on topic:

As has been mentioned, pun. Peas is a pun with peace.

I mildly enjoy Emily. I know she is one of Jeph's new pets but I haven't truly connected with her yet.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
StBishop said:
DoPo said:
-snip- It's just...awkward.
That's kind of Questionalble Content's thing.

I think it is just the pun. It's confusing, but I think it's just a combination of Emily's awkwardness with the pun.

Niklas Johansson

May 7, 2013
I came here after googling "I'm giving peas a chance pun" because I too was confused. Not until I googled the other side of the pun did I realize that "Giving Peace a Chance" is a song written by John Lennon. I still don't find it very funny, but I understand it now.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Niklas Johansson said:
I came here after googling "I'm giving peas a chance pun" because I too was confused. Not until I googled the other side of the pun did I realize that "Giving Peace a Chance" is a song written by John Lennon. I still don't find it very funny, but I understand it now.
It's not really meant to be funny, though. The point of the comic is the way people react to it.